Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pats to play in Old England in '06?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Seymour93, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Pats vs. Dolphins would make perfect sense.

http://www.ukpatriots.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1867

Kraft would never give up a regular season home game. However, Miami could be the home team, because much like Arizona, they hardly ever sell out. Last season's Azteca game was also a divisional matchup. And wouldn't ESPN just love to host its first Monday Nighter live from the brand new Wembley?
  2. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I can't imagine a worse idea than my having to go all the way to England for a football game. Oh, hang on a minute! It would be nice if Wembley was built by then, otherwise I would go for Twickenham (Rugby stadium in London and pretty decent) or Old Trafford.
    Yeah, the Pats are currently popular but they weren't when I was a kid in the mid to late eighties. Hmmm, I wonder what the difference is.....:rolleyes:
  3. OldEnglandPatriot

OldEnglandPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was always surprised the Pats weren't more popular when I started following the game in 1985, with the 'England' in the name and the red, white and blue, and not a bad team either.

The results of the survey also surprise me though; I only left the UK four months ago, and I have not once, ever, seen another person in England wearing any Patriots gear apart from me. If I saw anyone in NFL apparel it seemed to be Raiders more often than not.
  4. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I was just going to ask which fans get screwed? If you bought season tickets and they said one of your eight reg season games is going to be played in England, wouldn't you be pissed?
  5. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +193 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

On a personal note ...

This would be just fantastic, of course -- it could re-invigorate interest in the NFL in the UK. But, would you believe, it looks as though I am going to be spending the next football season in New England! Given my luck, it's bound to be the Pats.
  6. CTPatsFan

CTPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My guess would be the Bucs would be one of the teams. Doesn't Glazer own Manchester United? That would eliminate a lot of the logistics.
  7. Welker83

Welker83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I really doubt if Huizenga would give up a home game. Especially with all the Facility upgrades(Best Jumbo Trons in the NFL, indoor practice facility), Highly paid coaching staff, and all the excitement that the fins have going into next season.

Unless they can predict a Huricane 3 months in advance i dont see it happening.

However the Jets might be a possibility. They dont get full revenue from their stadium anyways....
  8. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Yes, he does own United, apart from the £300 million of debt (to finance the deal), which has been nicely loaded on to the club. :mad:
  9. CT_Pats_Fan

CT_Pats_Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I thought I read somewhere that Tagliabue said no games outside of the US this year in his State of the NFL address?

If they did, it would most certainly be a home game for a team that has poor attendance. No way Kraft gives up 1/8 of his biggest draw (forget season ticket holders, think about the club seats/lux boxes.)
  10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

I wish they would give up on this international thing. Until they can beam players over and back like on Star Trek, it's just not realistic.
  11. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are we playing the Silly Nannies?
  12. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +420 / 5 / -9

#61 Jersey

All I can say is, they damn well better not take a home game away from us for something like that. I would be royally pissed, no pun intended.
  13. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Do you mean they'd drag the Colts over there too? :p
  14. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Well, last year, when they wanted a game in Mexico City, 2 teams that kind of made sense were the 49ers and Arizona, who went. New England, unfortunately, is as close as it gets to Merry Old. Another thing you could say, at the risk of insulting people who attended in Mexico City or would attend in England, is that unsophisticated fans might not appreciate that much the difference between top teams and lower echelon teams. So maybe they twist arms of the latter type teams. I guess I have no idea how teams would be chosen.
  15. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Unless the NFL wants a major disturbance in the middle of the game, this would be a bad idea.
  16. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I think it would be a mistake to assume that. Most people in the country are baffled by (American) Football and certainly would not pay for the privilege of watching it. The only people who would pay are already fans of the game. Having said that, I have never seen a live NFL game so would be happy to watch two neutral teams, the Buccs excepted.
  17. Murphys95

Murphys95 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think the whole time zone thing would nix that idea. :)
  18. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The 49er - Cardinals game was sold out in a 105,000 seat stadium in Mexico City. No way of telling how many understood the intricacies of the game. I guess I don't understand the benefit of placing a single NFL game now and then in another country. What is it, a forebear of international NFL? If so, a single game is meaningless.
  19. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Ahhh...good point, I totally forgot about the six hour difference. Well, ESPN has no problem showing the Tokyo Bowl or whatever it's called on time delay.
  20. Murphys95

Murphys95 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If this is even remotely true, then the NFL isn't thinking this through very well. Too many drawbacks. Obviously this is a marketing ploy, so the league would want to make it a nationally televised game. With a 5 hour time difference the game would have to be late in the day on a Sunday, or played on a Saturday.

Players routinely complain about the wear and tear of flying to foreign countries (ie Japan) for preseason games. Do the teams involved get extra rest, or a bye week following the game? I'd also expect because of the travel and logistics involved that the game would be played early in the season (disadvantage to any team late in the year).

As mentioned before, fans of the home team "lose" a game.