PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats to play in final ABC Monday Night Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveW

On the Roster
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster....

It's sad to think that there will be no more Monday Night Football on ABC after the Patriots demolish, uh, I mean play the Jets next week.
Sure, it'll be on Disney-owned sister station ESPN but it'll be kinda strange not seeing football on a major broadcast network for the first time in 30+ years.
Unlike others here, I actually enjoyed the Al Michaels/John Madden team. But I'm easy. I even found Dennis Miller amusing at times.
Tonight will be Madden's last chance to praise Brett Favre on ABC before jumping to NBC (his FOURTH network--should Connie Chung have to present him with an award or something?)
Anyway, despite having the division sewn up, I'd like to see the New England squad come out with a "W" on national TV.

DaveW said:
Long time lurker, first time poster....

It's sad to think that there will be no more Monday Night Football on ABC after the Patriots demolish, uh, I mean play the Jets next week.
Sure, it'll be on Disney-owned sister station ESPN but it'll be kinda strange not seeing football on a major broadcast network for the first time in 30+ years.
Unlike others here, I actually enjoyed the Al Michaels/John Madden team. But I'm easy. I even found Dennis Miller amusing at times.
Tonight will be Madden's last chance to praise Brett Favre on ABC before jumping to NBC (his FOURTH network--should Connie Chung have to present him with an award or something?)
Anyway, despite having the division sewn up, I'd like to see the New England squad come out with a "W" on national TV.

Welcome Dave. I agree with you about Michaels and Madden. If people don't like them, who do they like, I wonder. MNF has a storied history with some pretty colorful characters, like Dandy Don Meredith and Howard Cosell. Gifford too, of course. Miller, I thought, was a little too off the wall. I hope Monday Night Football continues to be at least as entertaining as it is now. It helps take the edge off MONDAY.

DaveW said:

I'm not a fan of the new flex-schedule the NFL will institute next season. It's anything but fan friendly. Imagine planning a trip to Foxboro, or any away city, months in advance - only to find out at the last minute that the 1:00pm game you've been expecting, is now an 8:30pm game. Or worse, the Prime Time matchup is now moved to 1:00pm and interferes with your travel plans. I don't like it.

....of course, Monday Night Football has pretty much been a joke anyway.

Holy crap, I never heard about that!

Yikes, what a completely stupid idea.

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
Holy crap, I never heard about that!

Yikes, what a completely stupid idea.

They are trying to do something about complete dud games (like tonight's) that they couldn't see coming because the teams involved were decent when schedules were made. Way I look at it is, at least they're trying.

This is gonna be tough to handle. I go back to the days of Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford & Dandy Don Meredith. I also feel bad for the people who might not be able to afford cable, they can't watch Monday Night football anymore. And believe me, there were a lot of great Monday Night memories, and it's always something special, Monday Night Football.....There will still be MNF, but it won't be the same. Let's hope the Pats give MNF (on ABC) a memorable (a good memorable, not a bad one) sendoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes