PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats to install FieldTurf for Bears game

Status
Not open for further replies.
pats1 said:
If? Don't you mean 'when?'

I want to mean "when", but it's been a very disheartening fortnight for me. I saw nothing whatsoever positive to take from these last two games, save for perhaps an emergence of Gaffney to take snaps away from the unreliable, absent-minded (or worse) Doug Gabriel. I don't want to hijack the thread; let's just say that there are many slices to cut from the blame pie.

If you can offer solace by sharing positive trends going forward, then, please, pass me the poi.

Professional soccer players seem to hate FieldTurf for reasons unique to soccer. For example some of the top players in Canada said they wouldn't play on it when FieldTurf was installed for a new MLS franchise there. Therefore installing FieldTurf essentially means the Kraft's will have to move the Revolution to a grass stadium to continue to attract top players for the Revolution.

Last edited:
I am in the "sad to see the grass go but..." category. However, I don't mind the change. Watching the last two games, you could see Brady close to doing splits when throwing. His footwork was all off. Gost missed a kick early when he lost his footing. Maroney hasn't been able to cut as easily at home..

There are plenty of positives for the Pats fans.

As an aside, North Andover High uses it and all of their fall varisty games are played on the stuff. They can do a football game on friday, field hockey on saturday, and a soccer doubleheader on Sunday and the field looks pristine no matter what.

The first few times you play on the stuff, it is a bit slick. However it does get tacky when it rains. Sort of a reverse of what you would expect to happen. After a few weeks of constant use and care, the turf becomes much more universally playable regardless of weather conditions.

lobster said:
Professional soccer players seem to hate FieldTurf for reasons unique to soccer. For example some of the top players in Canada said they wouldn't play on it when FieldTurf was installed for a new MLS franchise there. Therefore installing FieldTurf essentially means the Kraft's will have to move the Revolution to a grass stadium to continue to attract top players for the Revolution.

Based on my very limited (i.e.: my little kids' soccer games on Saturday mornings) knowledge, the most wear on a pitch appears around the goal creases; therefore the reasons for the dismal conditions at Gilette seem to have little to do with the Revolution.

I have never set foot on FieldTurf, so what reasons specifically do soccer players have for objecting to playing on it? Is it phony turfs in general, or this one in particular?

Last edited:
Yeah, right on. Why not put it in? Foxboro is now the Colts second home so you might as well make Peyton and the boys feel at home.

When does the roof go up?

captain stone said:
Based on my very limited (i.e.: my little kids' soccer games on Saturday mornings) knowledge, the most wear on a pitch appears around the goal creases; therefore the reasons for the dismal conditions at Gilette seem to have little to do with the Revolution.

From what I read one of the major complaints is the ball doesn't run properly on FieldTurf. Also I believe it's more tiring on professional soccer players legs, given they are running on the field much longer than NFL players. Also FieldTurf can get very hot. As a result of this and other problems some professional soccer players said they refused to play on it.

I've played rugby on the stuff. It's alot nicer than AstroTurf, which is basically sandpaper with concrete under it. Nothing compares to a nicely sodded field but it's alot better than playing on a mostly dirt, some grass field. I don't mind FieldTurf, I'm glad they put it in. I'm rethinking my Kraft is cheap rant.

denverpatsfan said:
If they can get grass to grow in Green Bay and Philly then they could have doen it here. Shame on them.
That is of course a fairly general statement assuming that all conditions for grass growth are the same in a region...which of course they are not. I am sure under ideal conditions a grass field might be possible here...but apparently that is not the case. Shame on them...for what? For trying to grow grass??
There are other issues besides just the football team..regarding soccer..World Cup..and other rules..that basically say that games can ONLY be played on grass..which I believe is one reason it's taken that long for them to change.

lobster said:

My understanding with the MLS is that it comes down to preference not rule, however International soccer will not play on artificial surfaces. This is good for the state of CT as they will be able to attract more international games to help pay for UConn's new football stadium. Which has exceptional turf, BTW. :)

Hey, if we can't get an NHL team why not go for hosting the Revolution? WOO-HOO < /feigned excitement>

How people can fault the Krafts for *gasp* wanting to make money from their self-financed field is beyond comprehension.

Yeah, it'd be great if the grass field could have stayed. The field was a major problem this year and it had to be fixed, meaning that either they'd have to scale down non-Patriots use or install turf. they made a choice, and I can't really fault them for it.

This will be of great benefit to Brady and the team. I know people get all teary-eyed over manly defense, wars in the trenches, and rolling around in the mud. Face facts: the Patriots utilize speed and a surface on which they can run will help.

I like the thought of Maroney on a faster surface. I like the thought of Gost being able to plant his foot. I like the thought of Brady being able to plant his foot.

It's not like Gillette is a historical stadium that's been grass for 50 years. how is it any different than any other new stadium built with fieldturf?

Anyone blaming the field condition on soccer either isn't familiar with the game or doesn't care to think.

Soccer players are pansies with a sense of entitlement. I could care less if they don't like fieldturf.

This is a good change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back