PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats to install FieldTurf for Bears game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halle-fricking-lujah. I'm sick of watching games on that crap.

Thought the NFL rules said you could not do that mid season, guess they made an exception... this is a good thing. Maybe Polian and Dungy pulled some strings on the Competition Committee..

Thank God. Maybe now we can see the blazing speed of one Corey Dillon.

I thought I saw a link to a Gillette stadium webcam once. Anyone have the link for some confirmation?

GJAJ15 said:
Thought the NFL rules said you could not do that mid season, guess they made an exception... this is a good thing. Maybe Polian and Dungy pulled some strings on the Competition Committee..
It sounds like it was a non written rule to stop teams changing the field for specific opponents but anyone with eyes could see the state of our field was ruining the product on the field.

I can only see this move being of benefit to the team. It is entirely possible that the state of the field gets into the players' heads and is a factor that immediately has a negative impact on their view of the game. They know exactly how bad it will be and how difficult the conditions make it and carry that negativity onto the field. Teams that visit have no experience of it and so take it as it comes, and ultimately have to play only one game on it, so what do they care if its wet and muddy?

Seymour4prez said:

I thought I saw a link to a Gillette stadium webcam once. Anyone have the link for some confirmation?
I hope the new synthetic stuff and the way the ground is prepared beforehand are better than the old astroturf which was basically like indoor - outdoor carpet on asphalt. Don't want to see Brady sacked with a 300 pounder on top of him on a hard, hard surface.

http://instacam.com/showcam.asp?id=FXBRG

Here is a webcam link if you wanna see some shots of the work. Im glad they are finally putting in Field Turf. It has received good reviews from the players in the league. The stuff has put Astroturf out of business.

Not sure there is a rule that says a team can not change turg during the year. I have heard that, but it seems a phantom rule at best. OR somehow the NFL has looked the other way in paying attention to this turf nonsense. The muck and mud helped no one. I do welcome the field turf.

Seymour4prez said:
Maroney, Jackson, Watson and Brady will be very happy - your sarcasm aside.

From what I hear it plays just like grass.

Listen to Brady talking at www.fieldturf.com and you know immediately why they're doing this.

This is not your daddy's Astro Turf. That stuff use to look good on TV but it was hell to play on and caused many injuries.

Jonathan Kraft commented on it a couple of weeks a go. He said that because of the way the stadium was built, they found that natural grass had a difficult time developing a root system. It was something that no one could have foreseen.

Although I still like football to be played on natuaral grass, I''m glad that they are changing it at Gillette.

I know that Field Turf is an improvement over the old Astro Turf,which is a concrete base with a sort of carpet over it(thats probably an oversimplification,but you get the idea)does anyone know what it is,how it compares with grass,etc? Just curious.....

While I am opposed to artificial surfaces just like I am opposed to the evil empire, soccer, malls, and chain restaurants, if TB wants it and will start playing better because his footing will be solid then I'm OK with it.

Sounds like ROK are a bunch of idiots. Not enough bathrooms, not enough entrances, ice falling on fans from the light towers. Add screwing up the grass to the list of snafus. If they can get grass to grow in Green Bay and Philly then they could have doen it here. Shame on them.

denverpatsfan said:
While I am opposed to artificial surfaces just like I am opposed to the evil empire, soccer, malls, and chain restaurants, if TB wants it and will start playing better because his footing will be solid then I'm OK with it.
While understanding that both teams play on the same field, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this field has been a large part of Brady's problem. Bad fields seem to bother him more than the average QB - remember the crowned field issue @ Buffalo in 2002. Call him a little priss for wanting sure, consistent footing if you like, and maybe needing it more than he should, but whatever. If he throws more consistently and confidently because of it then it's about damn time he gets it.

the field has been like a metaphor for our season or at least offense , starting out looking broken, fixed for a while then again broken...hope this final fix cures all...

I saw at least two "sacks" of Brady on sunday that were caused when he (tried to) step up and lost footing. If both those don't happen....

we'll never know.

I think its good.

PATSNUTme said:
This is not your daddy's Astro Turf. That stuff use to look good on TV but it was hell to play on and caused many injuries.

Jonathan Kraft commented on it a couple of weeks a go. He said that because of the way the stadium was built, they found that natural grass had a difficult time developing a root system. It was something that no one could have foreseen.

Although I still like football to be played on natuaral grass, I''m glad that they are changing it at Gillette.

Utter bilge
Everyone knows that the Krafts hosted soccer games that tore up the field. Grass has no time to root when re-planted late in October or early November. Other colder venues are successful with grass. Why? Because they don't tear up the field with soccer games. I don't appreciate the Krafts being deliberately disengenuous on this issue.

Security came after me for shouting out about the Kraft's poor field at Sunday's game following Brady's 2nd fall down because of turf trip.

This is my first post since before the Colts' game. The switch to FieldTurf is good news; actually, this is the only good news of the last 2 weeks (though there may be hope for Jabar Gaffney). I'm afraid that I may be left with posting only on the cheerleading thread, if I wish to keep my opinions on a positive level.
One more note about the switch: if the patsies ever play a home game in January, it will still be cold and possibly snowy; so they have that going for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back