PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats/Titans postgame notes [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Titan Thoughts

Didn't see much of the 3rd quarter or any of the 4th until about 10 minutes were left, so feel free to correct anything that may have played out differently in that time.

* NE's OL was very impressive in the second TD drive when they just powered it in over the final 15 yards or so. The rest of the game? Downright horrible. Alright, maybe I'm going a little overboard. The run blocking was usually at least decent. But their pass protection was atrocious, ghastly, heinus or any other word for super-bad. I don't recall a single play where NE's OL formed a nice pocket around Brady. At least 70% of the time NE's OT were completely overwhelmed and pushed right back into Tommy. One play in particular stood out. The OL did a nice job for about 3 seconds and I even said to my wife, "That's how you did it." But out of no where a DL got completely free and absolutely crushed Brady as he let it go.

I don't expect them to be that bad again, but NE is a 9-7 at best if the OL plays that way throught the season. Again, please don't acuse me of panicing because I know that they won't be that dreadful again. I am just pointing out just how bad I thought that they were.

* That said, it did seem that Koppen played well, but he was just obscured by the suckitude of everyone else.

* As bad as NE's OL played, NE's DL was almost as good. And this was without Warren, Seymour or Wright. I didn't get the chance to key in on him much, but the times that I paid attention to LeKevin he was more than adequate. What also left a good impression on me was that, even when I didn't pay attention to him, it never seemed like that position was a detriment. Wilfork was unblockable like always and Green played very well too. Kudos all around for these guys.

* Not that I didn't expect it to take some time, but AD still looks a little lost at ILB. I agree with the team that him taking that spot is the most beneficial to the D, but he certainly doesn't look ready right now. I suppose that he could be a victim of my high expectations for him.

* I keyed in on Woods over the final 10 minutes or so and was disappointed. For a guy that it would seem has the #3 OLB position locked up, he was a virtual non-factor going against TN 3rd stringers. Mostly he just engaged with the LT and stayed there until the play was over. I didn't see him shed one block the entire time. In fairness to Pierre, I thought much the same of Colvin's play the beginning of the 2005 season.

* Did Washington even play?

* Just fall on those muffed punts if you want to make the team Bam.

* Faulk looks as good as ever.

* I can't see any of the ILBs that played in the 4th quarter making a difference outside of special teams. No, let me say that differently. I hope to God that none of the ILBs that played in the 4th quarter see regular snaps in NE's defense. Unless I am really missing the boat, it seems to me that they can't cover or stop the run, even when facing 3rd stringers. For all the press about Lua, I haven't seen a damn thing that makes me think he has a prayer in this league.

* Is it true that "Gagne" means "Please God no!" in french?

* Even though it was a nice opening play, I was disappointed to see that Stallworth chest-caught the first pass despite it hitting right in the numbers. Contrast that with Welker's TD where he caught it with his hands and quickly tucked it under his arm despite doing this while falling down.

* I was the captain of his bandwagon, but will Mills make a single play this preseason? He has gone from "near certainty to make the 53" to "the only way I see him making the roster is if injuries continue to plague the TE position" in my mind.

* Despite it being a PS game, that goal-line stand was a thing for the ages. Both sides were clearly chippy and I don't think you get any more effort even during a playoff game. I didn't even bother to conceal my goofy grin when I watched NE defenders celebrate that situational victory. Again, the DL just dominated the LOS in those plays.

I think that is it. I would imagine that NE will spend a lot of time working on pass pro this week because there is no way Brady even makes it through September if keeps getting beat down like that. Still, despite that, NE was clearly in command of that game when it mattered.

I welcome your responses.

Re: Titan Thoughts

* Did Washington even play?

I saw him in there with the second team. He didn't get much play.

Some additional thoughts:

1. Jones was impressive on returns and made some nice plays in the passing game.

2. Welker didn't do anything special on PRs and dropped a ball that hit him in the chest (it looked like he wasn't ready for it or something).

3. On both ints, Stallworth didn't make any effort to break up the plays.

4. I was surprised by LeKevin. He looked good out there.

5. Jarvis Green is the best back up d-lineman I have seen.

6. That holding call on Mankins at the goal line was just a bad call. The line looked pretty bad, but he didn't hold anyone on that play.

Re: Pats/Titans postgame notes

Guys-
Why not have a Troll board for the Aqua's of the world.
I am sick of reading his comments. If we won 63-7 he would complain that we didn't get the shutout.
Must we read anti-Pat chat on OUR board?

I saw him in there with the second team. He didn't get much play.

Some additional thoughts:

1. Jones was impressive on returns and made some nice plays in the passing game.

2. Welker didn't do anything special on PRs and dropped a ball that hit him in the chest (it looked like he wasn't ready for it or something).

3. On both ints, Stallworth didn't make any effort to break up the plays.

4. I was surprised by LeKevin. He looked good out there.

5. Jarvis Green is the best back up d-lineman I have seen.

6. That holding call on Mankins at the goal line was just a bad call. The line looked pretty bad, but he didn't hold anyone on that play.

It looked like Stallworth could have done something on the first int, but I didn't see the second.

I also don't recall the Welker drop, but he did try to do too much on the first PR.

I should also give a shout out to my boy Blue. He is well on his way to proving that he a good CB. I think far too many Pats fans gave up on him, but I still think that a Hobbs/Gay tandem will prove more than adequate.

Good posts. The DL really did step up, and LeKevin Smith had a great game. This was his coming out party, and with a trio of Smith, Green, and Wright backing up the best 3 DLs in the league, this is a deep, high quality group.

Added Edit: Gay had a solid game and the DBs played well leaving Young confused trying to find an outlet on many plays. The interplay from the DLs, LBs, and DBs really helped to shut down the Titans in the first half. It's nice to see Eugene Wilson step up and be active out there. He looked like his old self out there.

Last edited:

I'm surprised no one said anything about Faulk he must be the "reggie bush" of the patriots. He's a solid RB and he can also line up in the slot and pick up the first down in the air. He will be tough to replace when that day comes.

I think your analysis is spot on. IMO the O-line struggled because they're not yet ready for physical play. My impression is BB has run a less physical TC than in years past due to the veteran laden roster and to avoid injury concerns. The O-line just isn't ready to dish it out or take it. The D was in the same sub-par condition last week, and look how they performed this week! So I expect the O-line to take a lockerroom tongue-lashing and maul the Panthers next week. It's hard to judge the passing game in the preseason when the QB is under that degree of pressure. One things for sure: judging from years past, the passing game will only improve as the season wears on. The value of Stallworth is that he will allow Maroney to run crazy by creating space. I've said it before and it's become heresy, but A. Thomas should play where he's best suited, WOLB. Colvin should be a rotational player. He's not dynamic enough for that important a position. On Meriweather: haven't seen anything special, or bad. He's managed to go through 2 games without being seriously tested, which tells me his coverage skills must be decent, because he's not being attacked. This game, he looked a bit out of place vs. the run. Both this and last week he lunged and missed tackles, which probably has to do with being uncomfortable attacking from his new position. I expect that will improve as his safety instincts continue to blend with his cb abilities. Interesting that both he and M. Griffin are playing cb. Right now I would say M. Griffin looks like a star, and Meriweather is still finding his way. As far as the other rookies: Rogers again made a great play near the goal line, overpowering a blocker and making the tackle. I've seen enough for him to at least make the practice squad. Gostkowski's short range accuracy has been poor so far this pre-season, but he's very tough mentally, his holder situation is almost ironed out and I'm confident he'll get through. Tory James played like crap. He has no interest in tackling, and I'm not sure that desire to protect himself from preseason injury will wash on a team where he may be fighting for a roster spot. It was embarrassing watching James play a turnstyle, and then a matador, on consecutive running plays.

One more thing: L. Smith should make this team over K. Brown, if it comes to that.

Last edited:

I never thought there'd actually be a LeKevin Smith fan club. Good to hear! It sounds like we're working on having a D-line that could start for NE, and another D-Line that could start for a decent team elsewhere... as backups.

Great posts, from out here in the hinterlands where we only get a half-dozen Pats games a year or so ;)

(You have no idea how bad it USE to be... but then again, a lot of those games we best left unwatched... they would show up on other teams' highlight reels.)

PFnV

I loved the play of the secondary last night. When the back ups were in the game it seemed that they went to a more vanilla coverage scheme and the back ups missed some tackles. Merriweather is a fairly sure tackler though. Richardson did a nice job on a fade route in the fourth quarter in a goal to go situation.

On the first INT, I don't think Stallworth could have done much. He had slipped and was just getting back to his feet as the db was running down the sideline.

Penalties in the red zone were killers last night. Twice they were knocked back. They essentially left 11 points on the field there when they settled for two fg's, only making one.

Great posts, from out here in the hinterlands where we only get a half-dozen Pats games a year or so ;)

(You have no idea how bad it USE to be... but then again, a lot of those games we best left unwatched... they would show up on other teams' highlight reels.)

PFnV
Hear you loud and clear, as I'm based in No. VA myself. I succumbed to the "ticket" and have access to the regular season games. As for the pre-season, desperation dictates that I take what the NFL Networks gives . . .

I saw K.Washington late in the game and though I don't remember the play, thought he looked good.

And now I'll try to continue with that level of insightful analysis:

Light clearly needs to pick up his game. It's not okay for a LT to play well 75% of the time, it has to be closer to 95%. Its like a gas can that only leaks a little, those leaks are dangerous. On that one highlight reel play, Brady was lifted off his feet and thrown on his shoulder (thankfully, the left shoulder). Brady was thoroughly shaken up.

After the 2005 Denver playoff game, people who struggle to remember more than one play at a time were calling for Faulk's head. Would those people like to stand up and tell me where this offense would be without him. He's not an everydown back, but he is a playmaker. Please remember this as you continue to whine about Caldwell.

Sammy Morris ain't bad, but it will take a large measure of luck to get to the superbowl without Maroney.

I suspect the play calling was focusing on Watson blocking and perhaps protecting him from big hits downfield. TE is thin these days.

Who is Asante Samuel, anyway? Gay's backup? Kidding, but the secondary looked good. OTOH, Vince Young can make most secondaries look good.

Rodney's savvy and anticipation make him one of the finest safeties to ever play the game, and he played that way last night.

Most teams don't develop their chemistry until well into the season, but I got the feeling the defense is already feeling their mojo. The Ravens will not have the best defense in the NFL.

I wish I felt a little that way about the offense, that looks like a lot of shiny pieces to a toy that hasn't yet been put together.

Enough rambling. You should move on to posts from people with a better understanding of football. :)

It looked like Stallworth could have done something on the first int, but I didn't see the second.
I didn't pay attention on the second either - on the first I think that after he slipped he lost track of what was going on and didn't realize the ball was headed his way.
A. Thomas should play where he's best suited, WOLB. Colvin should be a rotational player.
Who's at ILB then ? Bruschi and Seau is fine but there would be no depth whatsoever.

I agree with everyone on Gay and Smith, they looked good.

Anyone else in favor of seeing the Seau/Thomas ILB combo more frequently?

Junior just looks bigger, faster, stronger and more active than Tedy right now (and all of last year). Although Tedy should still get significant snaps (40% maybe) to keep Jr. fresh.

This might be my favorite observation of the night. Geno reverting to his old ways would be an embarrassment of riches for this D.
When Samuel is back we'll be looking at Samuel, Hobbs, Gay at CB, Harrison, Wilson, Sanders at Safety and Meriweather wherever he's needed.

Yeah, I'd say that's definitely an embarrassment of riches as long as they're healthy (no sarcasm intended) :rocker:

Tory James played like crap. He has no interest in tackling, and I'm not sure that desire to protect himself from preseason injury will wash on a team where he may be fighting for a roster spot. It was embarrassing watching James play a turnstyle, and then a matador, on consecutive running plays.
Absolutely right. Everything he did looked half-hearted. The way he looked last night, when he gets cut, he may not get picked up by another team. OTOH, I thought I remembered him playing much better last week. Richardson continues to look like this season's surprise.

A quick note on Goots: he is starting to sound like the opposite of Cassel in some ways. Looks bad in practice (from what I've heard) but his game time decisions under pressure are quick and sure. This may be a reflection of the lack of Cassel's live reps, I don't know, but Goots looked pretty good last night. As we know from Brady and Bledsoe, there is no substitute for that ability to see the field and act quickly.

Kerry Collins is a better QB than Vince Young. Young should be ashamed of his performance last night.

Anyone else in favor of seeing the Seau/Thomas ILB combo more frequently?

Junior just looks bigger, faster, stronger and more active than Tedy right now (and all of last year). Although Tedy should still get significant snaps (40% maybe) to keep Jr. fresh.

This is precisely why I want Thomas to work out at ILB. It gives NE three solid options and lets them rotate to keep guys fresh. Then you also have Vrabel as a backup plan with Alexander as a hopeful.

Once Seau went down last year and Bruschi and Vrabel were all that NE had, those two wore down pretty quickly.

That said, Woods needs to show something or else NE will have to resort to shifting guys around if an OLB gets hurt. The team seems very high on him, so I am willing to give him more than 10 minutes. ;)

Kerry Collins is a better QB than Vince Young. Young should be ashamed of his performance last night.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Come on, now. Young didn't look so hot but NE was in his face most of the game and the coverage was very good. Let's settle down here with the Collins is better than Young talk.

Absolutely right. Everything he did looked half-hearted. The way he looked last night, when he gets cut, he may not get picked up by another team. OTOH, I thought I remembered him playing much better last week. Richardson continues to look like this season's surprise.

A quick note on Goots: he is starting to sound like the opposite of Cassel in some ways. Looks bad in practice (from what I've heard) but his game time decisions under pressure are quick and sure. This may be a reflection of the lack of Cassel's live reps, I don't know, but Goots looked pretty good last night. As we know from Brady and Bledsoe, there is no substitute for that ability to see the field and act quickly.

Have to differ with you on Collins vs. Young. Collins' specialty is losing games. Young's is winning them. This was Young's first preseason action, with all new receivers, against a vicious and motivated D. Young is hard worker, charismatic, a winner and he will find a way to get better. He took his medicine and learned from it last night.

This is precisely why I want Thomas to work out at ILB. It gives NE three solid options and lets them rotate to keep guys fresh. Then you also have Vrabel as a backup plan with Alexander as a hopeful.

Once Seau went down last year and Bruschi and Vrabel were all that NE had, those two wore down pretty quickly.

That said, Woods needs to show something or else NE will have to resort to shifting guys around if an OLB gets hurt. The team seems very high on him, so I am willing to give him more than 10 minutes. ;)
Good post and good points. In Pees' press conference, he indicated that one of the primary reasons Thomas was playing the strong ILB was that the player at that position had to know all the positional responsibilities for the defense. This was a way to develop Thomas' knowledge and create the positional flexibility the team needs.

It will be interesting to see how Thomas is used this season, but what Pees said makes sense as they work in a new, talented player.

Have to differ with you on Collins vs. Young. Collins' specialty is losing games. Young's is winning them. This was Young's first preseason action, with all new receivers, against a vicious and motivated D. Young is hard worker, charismatic, a winner and he will find a way to get better. He took his medicine and learned from it last night.
Well said. Point taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey