PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats thinking about Brooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if they want him, they'd better move on it. Chicago's been sniffing around him too, because of their linebacker problems.

I'm not familiar with Brooks' game. Is he a Willie McGinest lite? A Roosevelt Colvin? Who is he like?

QB12

Last edited:
If it will help, sign him immediately. Our defense looked woeful on Monday.

neither, but in his day he was considered the best coverage linebacker in the nfl. He started out as a safety in college. Best patriot comparison may be phifer.

Well, if they want him, they'd better move on it. Chicago's been sniffing around him too, because of their linebacker problems.

If he can still play the run and pass well, what the heck.

My only concern is his size. 6-0 235? hes had a great career but not sure how his size (pats employ 6-1 245-250ish for ILbs) would adversely effect his ability to play in this defense (take on guards, etc).

I'm not familiar with Brooks' game. Is he a Willie McGinest lite? A Roosevelt Colvin? Who is he like?

QB12

He's 6"2 235
He's more of a speed guy
Pure 4-3 weakside guy - meaning coverage/open field tackling
I'd say he's more like a Phipher - but better tackler/playmaker

Though he is older, it's a matter of much his speed his degraded.

He is a reduced calorie Mayo-lite.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Last edited:
He is a Mayo-lite.

Reduced calorie.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Mayo mentioned idolizing Brooks.
Studying everything about how he plays.
He learned from Bruschi, Brooks would be a superb additional mentor to Mayo.
Mayo + Mayo-lite
Which may be another benefit to bringing him in.

If it will help, sign him immediately. Our defense looked woeful on Monday.

woeful is a huge overstatement. Fans and media went into the game expecting the d to be bad so it was a self fullfilling prophecy. But they gave up 17 points to an offense that still had owens and evans at reciever. They were not able to implement much going against the no huddle, plus they lost mayo who would of done a better job with all the underneath stuff buffalo threw. The secondary did a good job too. The d will get better.

He is a reduced calorie Mayo-lite.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Hold the Tuna.

On Wheatley, not Wilhite.

With a dark Bruschi.

Hold the Tuna.

On Wheatley, not Wilhite.

With a dark Bruschi.

with a sandwich, WIL (you use a) FORK.

Sorry, couldn't resist the pile-on....

Was a pro bowl selection last year, very positive influence... the big problem is age, 35 years old.. but would give him a good luck, would be beneficial to Guyton and some of the youngsters.

woeful is a huge overstatement. Fans and media went into the game expecting the d to be bad so it was a self fullfilling prophecy. But they gave up 17 points to an offense that still had owens and evans at reciever. They were not able to implement much going against the no huddle, plus they lost mayo who would of done a better job with all the underneath stuff buffalo threw. The secondary did a good job too. The d will get better.
Only 12 teams gave up fewer yards. No the Bills aren't an offensive juggernaut and we looked bad on some plays but woeful is going way overboard especially considering we would have looked even better without the Wilfork and Thomas bad calls.

When I first knew he was out there I didn't think it would be a good fit because of size but if we are gonna play 43 than he would work and thought maybe we would look at him after week one even before the Mayo injury. My only concerns are how much has he lost (even 80% of what he was at his best is still good) and how quick can he pick up the system.

Why not bring Seau in now, let him play tell Mayo's back and then Jr. can go back to surfing to await the next call?

If he can still play the run and pass well, what the heck.

My only concern is his size. 6-0 235? hes had a great career but not sure how his size (pats employ 6-1 245-250ish for ILbs) would adversely effect his ability to play in this defense (take on guards, etc).

i think size requirments change with the 4-3. in 3-4 the LB's need to be bigger because they have to take care of the run more since there are only 3 guys on the line. In the 4-3 lb's are needed more for coverage.

Phifer is bigger than Brooks. However, he was very effective for the team even when he was in his early-mid 30s.

Much as I respect Derrick Brooks, I'd have to lean towards Seau or Bruschi in this situation.

Remember: The guy being replaced is an MLB - - who calls the plays and directs the Defense (one of the most complex in the NFL). You can't just fly Derrick Brooks in and expect him to do that job within several months. Even if he were not to direct the defense and they had AD doing it, the MLB still has to really know the intricacies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back