PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATs target the Beast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
When I see reports like this I can't help but get excited.
Just the thought of a guy like this added to PAT Oline gives me
gets my heart pounding.
As I've said for awhile now, IMO, the most significant thing the PATs can
do this offseaon is bring their Oline to the next level.
The potential Spencer represents could do it. I would be so excited for next
year if they land a guy like this.

http://patriots.scout.com/2/501644.html

JR4 said:
When I see reports like this I can't help but get excited.
Just the thought of a guy like this added to PAT Oline gives me
gets my heart pounding.
As I've said for awhile now, IMO, the most significant thing the PATs can
do this offseaon is bring their Oline to the next level.
The potential Spencer represents could do it. I would be so excited for next
year if they land a guy like this.

http://patriots.scout.com/2/501644.html

Holy crap, I ducked when his picture came up on my screen! That are one mean looking SOB! Get him.

Last edited:
Fanfrom1960 said:
Holy crap, I ducked when his picture came up on my screen! That are one mean looking SOB! Get him.

Dude, that guy can't be anymore than 4 inches tall. AND HE AIN'T GO NO LEGS!! I ain't skeered.

Now if I can be serious for just a minute. This guy played LT, what does this tell us about the current Tackles? We had Kaczur who played LT last season and Matt Light who was a very solid LT. Is Light on the way out? Or is the plan to move Kaczur inside to guard?

huskeralk said:
Now if I can be serious for just a minute. This guy played LT, what does this tell us about the current Tackles? We had Kaczur who played LT last season and Matt Light who was a very solid LT. Is Light on the way out? Or is the plan to move Kaczur inside to guard?
A lot of people thought Kaczur's best spot would be G. And he can play T with Spencer at G too. Bottom line, Belichick would send them all over to Dante and let him sort them out. I doubt that Kaczur is locked in as a starter, either. He did fine for a rookie but let's see if he's better this August.

BelichickFan said:
A lot of people thought Kaczur's best spot would be G. And he can play T with Spencer at G too. Bottom line, Belichick would send them all over to Dante and let him sort them out. I doubt that Kaczur is locked in as a starter, either. He did fine for a rookie but let's see if he's better this August.

At 6'5", I think Spencer would be too tall to play guard. With that build he would be better suited at tackle IMO.

Oooooh.... ooohh... ooohh... I get to be the first in the thread to mention that if a player is being projected as a Patriots pick in the media it virtually assures us we'll never see him in a Flying Elvis! :D

Bummer though, 'The Beast' looks like a truly fitting nickname for the kid.

That's a whole lotta man.

This guy doesn't fit our OL profile at all. The closest we've come to a mammoth on our team was Woody, and BB let him walk when his contract came up, and has never drafted anyone that size. We're a zone blocking team.

Find me a guy who reads like Logan Mankins, and we'll start talking. The Boise kid, Colledge, is the closest thing to a Day One Pats prospect for the OL that I've come across so far.

BoxOfRocks has a good OG thread running over on the Draft Forum.

Last edited:
scout.com said:
"His solid play since the end of the season has teams scrambling as they keep pushing him up their internal draft boards."

Solid play since the end of the season??? At what - Parcheesi?

I don't know about you but I prefer guys who have their solid play DURING the season, not after.

the scary part is spencer played nt/dt at first and then moved to OL. BB likes versatility. I think spencer is a better defensive player than offensive. just one opinion..

Where is this guy projected to go in the draft?

well

He reminds me of a gorilla!

Last edited:
Smokescreen for who "B" really wants....Winston Justice...can play left and right side Guard and Tackle.

rookBoston said:
This guy doesn't fit our OL profile at all. The closest we've come to a mammoth on our team was Woody, and BB let him walk when his contract came up, and has never drafted anyone that size. We're a zone blocking team.

Find me a guy who reads like Logan Mankins, and we'll start talking. The Boise kid, Colledge, is the closest thing to a Day One Pats prospect for the OL that I've come across so far.

BoxOfRocks has a good OG thread running over on the Draft Forum.
Muchos Grassy-Assets! I like Colledge too.

Spencer makes the top of my OG board because of his mobility in the Senior Bowl. Norm Chow had him pulling from the LG slot more than any other OG in the game.

He reportedly struggled a bit with his play at LT after a good first season on the O-line at LG, which is why he is projected to G. He may be heavier then BB/DS normally likes on the O-line, but if he can manage his weight and keep the quickness and mobility he displayed in the Senior Bowl, Dante could develop this kid to play either T or G slot. 6'5" is the same as Tommy and Cassel, it shouldn't be a problem as far as height on the O-line. Without opening a new window to look him up again, I think he played some TE in high school. He is already being projected early 2nd round, with good 40 and cone drills at the combine he could break into the first round and push Jean-Gilles down a bit.

JoeSixPat said:
Solid play since the end of the season??? At what - Parcheesi?

I don't know about you but I prefer guys who have their solid play DURING the season, not after.
Part of that is the maroons over at scout.dum. Spencer did well in the Senior Bowl practices and the actual game. The write-ups speak well of his junior year at LG (his first year on the O-line) and say he struggled some this year when Pittsburgh moved him out to LT. I wouldn't let the poor writing scare you away from this kid, his weight (330-338) is a better reason to be concerned.

re:

Alas, the fact that there are media reports linking Belichick to a player means that the Pats will not end up drafting him.

We all know BB holds his cards tight, and I have yet to see BB being linked to a player mentioned and that player ending up on the Pats.

The reverse situation is true as well; BB never mentions the guys he wants, and they all seem to come out of nowhere.

Most of the info about who the Pats love is just agents hyping their player.

1 - Right now the PATS are considered elite judges of talent.
2 - They don't talk

So when an agent wants to get his guy's name out there he tells people BB and SP love him and are targeting him. He can do so without anyone ever denying it either publicly or behind the scenes.

Here's another reason that we won't get him. I had him on my mock Patriots draft about a week and a half ago. He was my second round choice.

See the draft site under "Draft game-Wanna play". I don't know if others had him picked and I'm too busy to look at it now.

This draft is so ridiculously deep at OL we should be able to get a good one in the second round without blinking, leaving our #1 for a slider or other position we haven't filled. That early #3 will likely look good for an OL too, if we don't take one in round 2.

The downside is this is a bad year to be trying to replace Givens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes