PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats "talking to" Ty Law?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two words: Shadow roster

He certainly thinks he can still play, and someone will most likely sign him. That is why he is shopping himself to whomever will pretty much listen. I don't think we'll have the option to put him on the shadow roster, but who knows??

Personally, I wouldn't mind him coming here. We always seem to have injury issues in the defensive backfield, and he could provide some depth and leadership--although he certainly is a prima donna, and will probably just go to the highest bidder.

I'm not a fan of bringing back Ty Law, however he was at the Celtics game last night.

We should have signed him last year! He surprised a lot of people last year with how well he played. I say if he's interested, sign him. Who knows with possible injuries, we could need him.

Maybe he's gained enough weight to play ILB?

People, please - have some of you been living in a cave for the last 4 offseasons... He has done this every spring since he asked for and was granted his release after we insulted him by offering to guarantee him his remaining $16M on the backloaded deal Bill's predecessors signed him to provided he was willing to stay for 4 years at $24M. He took that as an insult. Thru last year he had earned just a little less than $24M between 2005 and 2008...

Every spring like the swallows returning to Capistrano, Ty goes to a Celtics game and we hear how he's talking to NE. Thing is what he's always wanted is for NE to pay him at least $1 more than the other team he's working, or lead them to think he will. NY, KC. He convinces them they are bidding against us. Kinda like what Jason Taylor is trying to do with Miami. The other thing is when all is said and done, we won't and he doesn 't really want us to because he doesn't really want to come back here since he was determined to prove when he left that it wasn't the system...much the same as Lawyer.

This time, like the boy who cried wolf, he probably miscalculated. Every other time he pulled this crap in the last 4 years we kinda needed him. This year, we're trading Corners...

In my opinion, it's relatively simple. Ty Law can't play at an NFL level any longer. In fact, one could reasonably argue that he hasn't been able to do so for at least several years. Wasted time is second only to wasted money. This topic features the potential for both.

Not for nothing, but he didn't "leave" NE. He was cut.

Actually, his contract ended and Law didn't want to resign with the Patriots.
He was cut. And he hadn't played much of the previous year, including the superbowl where Randall Gay filled in admirably, shutting down TO except for one big gainer the result of a horrible and uncalled pic play.

Ty must have a team on the hook. Every time he does, he calls Belichick, Belichick tells him to stop calling and hangs up on him, and Ty reports that he and Belichick have been talking.

Last edited:
Perhaps Law wants to retire as a patriot, perhaps even before the season starts. Perhaps he wants to be our free safety for a year, playing opposite Meriweather.

Seriously, wouldn't Law add more than McGowan? Obviously Law could compete for reps at nickel or dime back.

I don't think that this will happen, but I would choose Law over McGowan.

Perhaps he just likes to talk. That would be my guess.

People, please - have some of you been living in a cave for the last 4 offseasons... He has done this every spring since he asked for and was granted his release after we insulted him by offering to guarantee him his remaining $16M on the backloaded deal Bill's predecessors signed him to provided he was willing to stay for 4 years at $24M. He took that as an insult. Thru last year he had earned just a little less than $24M between 2005 and 2008...

Every spring like the swallows returning to Capistrano, Ty goes to a Celtics game and we hear how he's talking to NE. Thing is what he's always wanted is for NE to pay him at least $1 more than the other team he's working, or lead them to think he will. NY, KC. He convinces them they are bidding against us. Kinda like what Jason Taylor is trying to do with Miami. The other thing is when all is said and done, we won't and he doesn 't really want us to because he doesn't really want to come back here since he was determined to prove when he left that it wasn't the system...much the same as Lawyer.

This time, like the boy who cried wolf, he probably miscalculated. Every other time he pulled this crap in the last 4 years we kinda needed him. This year, we're trading Corners...

Smart analysis...completely agree

Most of you seem to be thinking of Law as a CB. At this stage in his career, I'm sure BB would be more inclined to see him as a FS or nickel/dime DB. I think he has potential value in those roles. Perhaps a few more seasons, a la Rod Woodson at the end of his career.

I say bring him in. Besides, he's always been one of my favorite players and I'd like to see him retire as a Patriot.

I agree. Ty opposite Meriweather would be an upgrade.

McGowan, Tank Williams and Spann are competing for our #9 DB. How can Ty Law not be an upgrade.

Most of you seem to be thinking of Law as a CB. At this stage in his career, I'm sure BB would be more inclined to see him as a FS or nickel/dime DB. I think he has potential value in those roles. Perhaps a few more seasons, a la Rod Woodson at the end of his career.

I say bring him in. Besides, he's always been one of my favorite players and I'd like to see him retire as a Patriot.

Thread closed.:D:agree:

a backup free safety or extra nickle/dime DB who has no ability to play on special teams would seem to not be a good fit for this roster.

I agree that the only fit is on whatever you want to call it: the shadow roster, the taxi squad, the people you call after two season-ending injuries at safety or corner. I doubt that his ego will allow him to wait for that.

Nope, not the only reason.

LINEBACKER HELL 2005-2007

Analyze 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008. Law would have helped, but the defense needed even more than that: fewer injuries, flu shots, and linebacker improvement from the 2004 draft onward.

With McGinist (and Phifer) aging and almost ready to go, how did we prepare in 2004 and 2005? We added no one in 2004. Were unprepared when Bruschi and Phifer went down and out respectively in 2005, and brought in Beisel and Chad Brown. Where were the youngsters; where was the depth on the team? Hey, we drafted Claridge in 2005. 2005 and 2006 was the year when linebacker became a severe weakness. Finally in 2007, we brought in Thomas (and Moss and Welker). Was he really enough? Yes, enough for a perfect season, but not enough for the future. Who were we developing? Well, Woods was a 2006 UDFA who we had in place of Tully the 7th rounder and we drafted Lua. BFD!

FINALLY, in 2008, Belichick paid attention to bringing in linebackers. He brought in Mayo, Crable, Guyton, Redd, Robertson and Ruud. Woods had indeed developed enough to replace the aging and slowing Vrabel for 2009, with the help of an old collegue Tully.

And yes, in 2008 and 2009, Belichick replaced all the corners and added a few safeties to youngsters James Sanders and Meriweather.

No, Law wasn't the only reason for not winning a Super Bowl after being one of the best teams of all time in the 2003 and 2004 seasons, but the depletion of the secondary was certainly one of the primary factors along with the linebackers.

Yeah idiot the only reason we haven't won any superbowls is because Law left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes