PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats switching to zone blocking

BTW, I wouldn't rule out Ryan Kalil (C from USC) in Round 1 in this case. He was reportedly best suited for a zone blocking Offense from the breakdowns I've seen by Mike Mayock on the NFL Network.

As always (in the Draft), expect the unexpected...

Kalil can play C & G so if they drafted him they would be able to keep both Koppen and Kalil on the field at the same time.

Last edited:
Zone bocking works much better with a back like Maroney. I think that's why Shanahan was so high on him. Zone-blocking favors the Pats personnel in general -- quick, athletic o-linemen who are practiced working together, and a one-cut back who has great speed. I'm kind of surprised the Pats weren't more of a zone-blocking team before. It's almost like we were playing a power-running game with zone-blocking personnel. You can see why BB likes smallish linemen -- they're great on screens and in pass protection -- but you don't get the most out of them in the running game if they have to stay in that man scheme all the time.

I love the zone idea for the Pats. Maroney is the perfect back for the inside zone-type run. They may have had their reasons for being a man team before, but Maroney is a special athlete, probably worth changing your offense for.

Without understanding zone blocking, I still think this post sounds brilliant. It sort of explains my hard-to-pinpoint frustration with our runnning game in all recent years that weren't 2004.

IF the Patriots are going zone-blocking, and I've seen or heard nothing that convinces me they will, it has nothing to do with Maroney, and everything to do with the fact that it's much tougher to scheme against defensively.

BB is a defensive genius. Don't you think his repeated failures to stop the Denver running game has turned him onto the idea? Don't you think he'd like to have such a running game that other defensive geniuses have a hard time stopping?

In five years, every NFL team will be zone-blocking, until Belichick or someone finds a way to effectively counter it.

A couple X's and O's questions:

Could this move also be in part to the departure of Graham? His Wam blocking opened huge holes, but obviously took a physical toll. Will this scheme free up the TE spot?

Will a move to zone blocking force defensive fronts to wait a beat to see where the O linemen (and TE) are moving to?

Someone alluded to Forida's stretch offence. We saw a lot of stretch formations later on the year in 2006. They gained a lot of running yards on these formations with Faulk primarliy on draws. It would seem that with a zone blocking style run out of spread formations Pats will have more running options without having to rely on the element of surprise that comes with the draw play. Is this accurate?

IF the Patriots are going zone-blocking, and I've seen or heard nothing that convinces me they will, it has nothing to do with Maroney, and everything to do with the fact that it's much tougher to scheme against defensively.

BB is a defensive genius. Don't you think his repeated failures to stop the Denver running game has turned him onto the idea? Don't you think he'd like to have such a running game that other defensive geniuses have a hard time stopping?

In five years, every NFL team will be zone-blocking, until Belichick or someone finds a way to effectively counter it.

Wise words as usual from dryheat. Also Jimmy James raises a really interesting question about Graham. Surely his departure affects the running game.

Maroney sure hasn't proven to be able to run up the middle under the present scheme.

Maroney sure hasn't proven to be able to run up the middle under the present scheme.

actually his best success up the middle i believe..but thats where he was used more

actually his best success up the middle i believe..but thats where he was used more

Seemed like Dillon pounded it up the middle while Maroney hesitated. I thought Maroney did much better on pitches where he had a little room.

Of course, I'm trying to not count his post injury form, but that was my impression.

Seemed like Dillon pounded it up the middle while Maroney hesitated. I thought Maroney did much better on pitches where he had a little room.

Of course, I'm trying to not count his post injury form, but that was my impression.

im just going by stats..i too believe inside wasnt good for him but stats indicated it went better

im just going by stats..i too believe inside wasnt good for him but stats indicated it went better

Stats lie, brother. You and I watched the games.

Statistics are only as good as the data used and i don't know how you objectively compare individual runs.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back