PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats switching to zone blocking

:confused:
In a man-blocking scheme the running back is asked to hit the hole, not pick the hole, even if the hole doesn't appear to be there. Faulk, who is even less of a plugger than Maroney, had no trouble running decisively this year. Don't excuse Maroney.

when faulk was in he didnt face 8 man fronts..

My point is I got criticized here last season for pointing out that Maroney's so-called "dancing" was a scheme-related anomaly. To me he was doing what he was supposed to be doing, which was look for daylight and cut back. The line didn't give him much to work with in many cases. Consequently, what appeared to be tentativeness or "dancing" at the line of scrimmage was Maroney following his natural running instincts until things caved in on him.

The contrarians apparently felt he should have just dived into the line (a la Dillon) when the holes weren't there instead of shifting/skipping around people at the LOS, buying a few microseconds of time, in hopes that a crease might develop. I don't think Maroney did anything wrong in his alleged "dancing" and the apparent change to zone blocking lends credence to that. It seems people wanted Maroney to be Dillon when the holes weren't there, which he ain't.

I think at the outset BB was one of those contrarians. I think he hoped that Maroney could develop versatile situational instincts over and above his natural instincts. He never really did, and as the season progressed he got dinged up and I think towards the end even got a little gun shy both because he was uncomfortable (physically and mentally) and the Oline was focusing so much attention on pass blocking that run blocking suffered. He seemed to worry about physically not being able to protect himself or the ball as well. I think part of it was unsuitability of blocking scheme, part of it was getting hurt and part of it was hitting that rookie wall after a great start.

I don't think Bill will ever entirely be willing to abandon the power running game though. That will either be someone elses perview or Maroney will be encouraged to develop into it behind improved power blocking. Last year without adequate receiving options it was just a struggle for everyone across the board - line, QB, RB, TE. This year things should be easier and eventually that should even make a little offensive multi tasking not out of the question. Kinda like with the defense that can play the 3-4 base but also a 4-3 and even some more exotic mixes.

We don't know for certain that Maroney wasn't given some leeway to look before leaping. The fact he did it so often suggests as much, especially since I don't recall hearing BB or anyone else on the team criticize Maroney for "dancing" or tentativeness.
This isn't a team that evaluates its players in the media.

What we do know is that BB feels a trio of Maroney/Morris/Faulk is as good or better than a trio of Maroney/Dillon/Faulk, and he feels some zone-blocking elements would benefit the running game. We also know that BB believes all his current lineman are worth locking up, even Billy Yates.

From this information, you conclude that BB was happy with Maroney's performance in the man-blocking scheme, and dissatisfied with the line's ability to execute their responsibilities.

I see an acklowedgment that Maroney wasn't running well.

The line has been man-blocking succesfully for far longer than Maroney has been around. It's him, not them.

How will this affect our pass protection? Going to a zone blocking to get the most out of Maroney is all fine and good but the one I want protected is Tom. I couldn't care less if Maroney never has more that 1100 yards a season. As Tom goes so does our team. We can win without a running game. If Tom is constantly on his back we got 0 chance.

I believe the pass blocking will remain the same.

I'm really suprised they didn't make this change sooner. Zone blocking utilizes smaller, quicker linemen which is exactly what he have (with exception to the mammoth O'Callaghan.) They probably didn't make the switch before because until Maroney we didn't really have any ideal zone blocking running backs. As people have already mentioned, Corey was more of a power back.

This isn't a team that evaluates its players in the media.

What we do know is that BB feels a trio of Maroney/Morris/Faulk is as good or better than a trio of Maroney/Dillon/Faulk, and he feels some zone-blocking elements would benefit the running game. We also know that BB believes all his current lineman are worth locking up, even Billy Yates.

From this information, you conclude that BB was happy with Maroney's performance in the man-blocking scheme, and dissatisfied with the line's ability to execute their responsibilities.

I see an acklowedgment that Maroney wasn't running well.

The line has been man-blocking succesfully for far longer than Maroney has been around. It's him, not them.

I'm confused. Why are people blasting Maroney because he might have struggled adjusting to a blocking scheme he has never played in and that doesn't fit his running style?

I'm confused. Why are people blasting Maroney because he might have struggled adjusting to a blocking scheme he has never played in and that doesn't fit his running style?
You're being too sensitive. Nobody is blasting Maroney.

You're being too sensitive. Nobody is blasting Maroney.

Use whatever word you want. The point is he is being critisized, to what extent isn't really relevant.

Use whatever word you want. The point is he is being critisized, to what extent isn't really relevant.
Well, its either him or the line. BB and Scar aren't evaluating a new blocking philosophy because they hope it'll make the team worse.

I got into this thread because the analysis was starting to go in favor of Maroney's "style." "Style" is fuzzy term that really means "strengths and weaknesses." When people say that Maroney's "style" is "dancing" in a positive sense, they are trying to spin a negative into a positive.

No one, anywhere, ever, is looking for a dancing running back. If a running back is dancing its because he's not running correctly. If a zone back is dancing, it means he is indecisive about seeing, picking, or cutting into the hole. If a man back is dancing, it means he's not taking on tacklers, running inline, or is neither quick or powerful enough to time the hole right.

Many times this year I saw Maroney get stopped in the backfield by a tackler. That is not his fault, that is a blocking breakdown. However, just as often I saw Maroney approach the line standing straight up, put his hand on the back of a offensive lineman's jersey, and start stepping from side to side like the electric shuffle. That is the prototypical sin of a zone runner in a man scheme, and is not the fault of the offensive line.

Many times this year I saw Maroney get stopped in the backfield by a tackler. That is not his fault, that is a blocking breakdown. However, just as often I saw Maroney approach the line standing straight up, put his hand on the back of a offensive lineman's jersey, and start stepping from side to side like the electric shuffle. That is the prototypical sin of a zone runner in a man scheme, and is not the fault of the offensive line.

Excellent points.

I don't think Maroney did anything wrong in his alleged "dancing" and the apparent change to zone blocking lends credence to that. It seems people wanted Maroney to be Dillon when the holes weren't there, which he ain't.
**Yawn** Judge Tune puts me in my place. Maybe if I was a rapist I could get a free pass in your court?

Maroney gained negative yards with his dancing, but it's somebody else's fault - Scarnecchia, Belichick, Mankins, Fears, Dillon, Faulk, and more are the guys who should be criticized for the negative yardage. Maroney worked behind those same blockers starting in mini-camp, but in the biggest game of the season I shouldn't expect him to know how the blocking scheme would work. If Morris and Faulk both produce in a zone blocking scheme this season should we assume they are just more talented than Maroney?

I'm confused, Maroney gained 745 yds splitting time with Dillon and missed 2 games, how did he not adjust to that blocking scheme? Just because he could be better in one scheme, doesn't mean he can't be productive in another - as his yardage proves. If some of us choose to be critical of his performance against Indy, it's because a first round pick who can average over 50 yds/game splitting time with Dillon should be able to do better then 13 yds on 8 carries when Dillon and Faulk are both on the bench with injuries. They stacked the box against Dillon too.

**Yawn** Judge Tune puts me in my place. Maybe if I was a rapist I could get a free pass in your court?

Maroney gained negative yards with his dancing, but it's somebody else's fault - Scarnecchia, Belichick, Mankins, Fears, Dillon, Faulk, and more are the guys who should be criticized for the negative yardage. Maroney worked behind those same blockers starting in mini-camp, but in the biggest game of the season I shouldn't expect him to know how the blocking scheme would work. If Morris and Faulk both produce in a zone blocking scheme this season should we assume they are just more talented than Maroney?

Well well, leave it to the guilty to stand up and volunteer themselves even without names being named. ;) I guess whatever transpires this season will give proof to the pudding either way, eh? I predict Maroney's yards-per-carry average to be well above 4.0 with the new scheme.

Last edited:
I'm confused, Maroney gained 745 yds splitting time with Dillon and missed 2 games, how did he not adjust to that blocking scheme? Just because he could be better in one scheme, doesn't mean he can't be productive in another - as his yardage proves. If some of us choose to be critical of his performance against Indy, it's because a first round pick who can average over 50 yds/game splitting time with Dillon should be able to do better then 13 yds on 8 carries when Dillon and Faulk are both on the bench with injuries. They stacked the box against Dillon too.

By struggled I mean he had some bad games, such as the one against Indy, but he did have good games too. What I saw was a rookie running back trying to adjust to the NFL game. Who knows how much injuries, fatigue, etc. had an effect on his play. Maybe if he had more time he could become a better player in a man blocking scheme, but if switching to zone blocking is how the team feels they can best utilize him then I'm all for it.

Larry Johnson didnt do **** againsT Colts. Go tell him hes not a good RB. Colts played very good in playoffs with run D. Maroney was playing with a rib and shoulder injury and Dillon without the 50 yard run was nothing spectacular. Dillon has the mentality of an 11 yr vet..why? Because hes been in league11 years and hes learned patience and to accept a 2 yard gain instead of going for a homerun so often

i expect Maroney's average to be 4.9 ypc because
1. We wont face 8 man fronts because Stallworth addition gives us a legit deep threat

2. OL should be more in sync and block better

3. Maroney will he more experienced and understand that 30 yard runs arent gonna be here everytime like in college..take the 2-3 yard gain instead of pushing for more by losing yards or dancing too much trying to find the crease for the long run

4. The scheme is the best in NFL, Atlanta and Denver are 2 notable teams that use it and have had great success in past few years beacuse this is non assignment run blocking..you pick up people to the side your running and drive the defender. It'll work better than our power blocking

Well well, leave it to the guilty to stand up and volunteer themselves even without names being named. ;) I guess whatever transpires this season will give proof to the pudding either way, eh? I predict Maroney's yards-per-carry average to be well above 4.0 with the new scheme.
C'mon Tune, as if my analysis on the subject left any room for people's imagination - not to mention our friendly exchanges.

How does what transpires this season constitute proof of anything in 2006? I agree that Maroney was productive in a zone scheme in college and can be expected to adjust well to one in the NFL, that doesn't exempt him from criticism in 2006 when he showed indecision in his running during the postseason. I was critical of Wilfork when he was pushing too hard, I'm at a loss to see how that is bashing? Unlike some who choose to rant about a player, sometimes years after the fact, I prefer to take a look at my digital recording of the television broadcast (a tip of the hat to sebby) and try to understand why something didn't work.

Yes, the Colts run D improved in the playoffs, how does that exempt any one player if their performance was sub-par? Maroney and Dillon faced that same defense, choose to subtract Dillon's 35 yd run if you wish, but it came on short yardage from a run formation - tell me Indy wasn't stacking the box. Injuries are mitigating circumstances, but at the end of the day, Dillon had 48 yds and a TD, Maroney with one extra carry had 13 yds, he also had a reception. Not to mention Dillon got his yards when the defense was fresh. Maroney executed poorly against the Colts, he did the same thing against other teams at the end of the season. I expect him to have more success in a blocking scheme he's worked with before, that doesn't exempt him from criticism for indecisiveness in 2006.

Larry Johnson didnt do **** againsT Colts. Go tell him hes not a good RB. Colts played very good in playoffs with run D. Maroney was playing with a rib and shoulder injury and Dillon without the 50 yard run was nothing spectacular. Dillon has the mentality of an 11 yr vet..why? Because hes been in league11 years and hes learned patience and to accept a 2 yard gain instead of going for a homerun so often

i expect Maroney's average to be 4.9 ypc because
1. We wont face 8 man fronts because Stallworth addition gives us a legit deep threat

2. OL should be more in sync and block better

3. Maroney will he more experienced and understand that 30 yard runs arent gonna be here everytime like in college..take the 2-3 yard gain instead of pushing for more by losing yards or dancing too much trying to find the crease for the long run

4. The scheme is the best in NFL, Atlanta and Denver are 2 notable teams that use it and have had great success in past few years beacuse this is non assignment run blocking..you pick up people to the side your running and drive the defender. It'll work better than our power blocking

Yes, the Colts run D improved in the playoffs, how does that exempt any one player if their performance was sub-par? Maroney and Dillon faced that same defense, choose to subtract Dillon's 35 yd run if you wish, but it came on short yardage from a run formation - tell me Indy wasn't stacking the box. Injuries are mitigating circumstances, but at the end of the day, Dillon had 48 yds and a TD, Maroney with one extra carry had 13 yds, he also had a reception. Not to mention Dillon got his yards when the defense was fresh. Maroney executed poorly against the Colts, he did the same thing against other teams at the end of the season. I expect him to have more success in a blocking scheme he's worked with before, that doesn't exempt him from criticism for indecisiveness in 2006.

take away Dillons 35 yarder

Dillon would have: 6 carries 13 yards
Maroney: 8 carries 13 yards...not big of a difference. Dillon got his yards early on..thats when u try to get a feel for the other team. Maroney struggled in playoffs but regular season he was fine..he played well early and after injury until the playoffs which against Maroney was playing more hurt than Dillon

go ahead give criticism or "think it" but its not all Maroney's fault and but we've been through this over and over..so lets just drop the Maroney "WTF in PLAYOFFS" crap

I truly hope Maroney lives up to the expectations of those making excuses for his "dancing" last year or complaining about those who bring up the topic of his dancing.

Heck....every Pat fan is hoping Maroney blows up this season. But....let's just see what happens. I think that regardless of the blocking scheme being used, just being in the league for a year already will be a tremendous boost for Maroney.

All I ask is two things:
(1) If Maroney doesn't come around this year (I find this hard to believe really), then don't go blaming the OL for all of the issues especially if Morris/Faulk are picking up yards. Beoli obviously thinks highly of this OL with the contracts given them, and I agree for what's its worth.

(2) Don't jump to the automatic "defend Maroney" mode whenever anybody points out percieved faults. He hasn't earned this type of defense yet...not even close. I swear some of you sound like John Clayton talking about Manning.

Maybe the Colts did get the best back....this year on the field will tell. It should be emminently obvious to all posters here by week 8.

Last edited:

Well bottom line is that the Pats HAVE decided to switch to the zone blocking scheme. Chances are Maroney will have MORE success in this scheme, as should our other runningbacks. What is more important however is how well the Patriots offensive linemen learn and implement this scheme imo. Because they are the ones upfront that will have to be doing the dirty work.

As for your criticism of Maroney's performance in 2006, yes he does deserve some criticism. But I am willing to bet that he can improve in 2007, and his being healthy will also help. Am I alone in thinking that Maroney is going to be a very good to great feature back in 2007? He will split his 3rd down carries with Faulk and has Sammy Morris as a backup so hopefully he won't be too worn down as the season progresses. I love the way the kid runs, if he can get rid of that indecisiveness at the line he is going to be a lot better this year, count on it.

Last edited:
Lawrence Maroney gained 700+ yards rushing, despite splitting carries and averaged 4.3 ypc. Count me among those not worried, no matter what blocking scheme we employ.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back