Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Offensively, especially in the second half, it felt like we were back to just playing our own game, whether or not there was a defense out there. My personal feeling is that we had SOOO much success offensively that we felt like we could do pretty much anything we wanted, and then began to tailor game plans to the opponent. I think it goes back to about week 8 or so. Yesterday, we started to look more like we are going to do what we are going to do regardless of who the D is. I'm not sure if I'm making this point real clearly, but its the difference between doing what we want, and what the D is most susceptible to. It started looking really easy for the O again yesterday, compared to very successful but not so easy.

Vrabel may have been the best player on the field yesterday. By my unofficial count he was blatantly held at least a dozen times, but he still flushed Roeth out of the pocket all day long. The biggest issue with the Steeler O was that they couldn't execute the plays they wanted to because Vrabel was breathing down Roeths neck. Roeth is ok moving out of the pocket, but you simply dont sustain drives and win games that way.

I think Rodney Harrison is playing the best he has since 2004.
During one of the 'tussles' I told my son "that guy better think twice before he mixes it up with Mankins. Mankins is the last guy in the NFL you'd want to be alone in a ring with". The OL, once again was phenomenal.

I thought Maroney was soft? When was the last time you saw a running back push a pile 6 extra yards? All that we have to worry about with Maroney is that he gets enough work. Someday we will need to run the ball, but when you have the best passing game in NFL history, why bother to take the ball out of Bradys hands?

Gaffney is a pretty damn solid recevier. I like him as the guy who just does his job, and depending on coverages either gets thrown to a lot or the other guys higher on the prgressions keep him from seeing it.

If Randy Moss had gone into the witness protection program and shown up in Foxboro this year as Bob Smith, he'd be the second most talked about player in the NFL (and ALL of it positive) behind Brady of course. I think his baggage is really affecting the pub of how great he is this year, and zero of that baggage actually arrived in Foxboro.

I couldn't believe Asante dropped a pick. Then after the game i couldn't believe he actually played all 60 minutes, because the 10 yard radius surrounding him apparently was in a blind spot for Roeth. The best thing you can say about how a corner played is that they never even tried to throw on him. I thought that Ty Law in 2003 may have had the best season I've seen a corner have. Asante isnt there yet, but has quite a few games like that.

Good to see Wilson earning part of his check.

The way we reacted to the fumble punt almost made me feel that it wasnt a mistake, and we work on that play.

I've never seen 5 straight passes to one WR, and felt like it was Brady/McD/BB saying 'look, we can do whatever we want to'.

I now immediately go to ESPN News after each game for the post game press conferences. Its now up to at least 45 minutes of straight Patriot coverage.
I LOVE BBs post game pcs. Yesterday was one of the best. His comments on Smith should be inducted in some kind of Hall of Fame having to do with how to further embarrass someone who embarrassed themselves by just talking about what he is on the field, and not saying anything personal. The "Rodney said it best, we've faced better safeties than him all year' was great, the 'that safety position is awfully inviting' was legendary.

Has there ever been a team in the history of any sport who cared so little about anything else and so much about just winning todays game than this one?
I think if you called BB and the 53 players in the middle of May, and said how would you like to play a game that no one will see and spend a week gameplanning for it, you'd have a full lockerroom within the hour.

Good points.

Regarding Samuel, I re-watched the game earlier and his name barely came up. Except for interceptions, this is usually a good thing for a CB!

When you play the Steelers and hear about their DBs much more than their LBs, the Steelers are having a BAD game.

good read Andy

I had Mankins as a potential Patriot before the draft, and am thrilled to see him fulfilling his potential--becoming my favorite player on the team.

I'm also happy to hear that you enjoy the games with your son. Great memories being made for you.

Our defense never sacked Brady. That would be a credit to your o-line and the offensive game plan of getting the ball out of his hands quickly. I'm sure that must have come from the previous two games.

Last edited:
I think Gaffney is starting to remind of David Patten.

Vrabel is having a pro bowl year imo.

good read Andy

I had Mankins as a potential Patriot before the draft, and am thrilled to see him fulfilling his potential--becoming my favorite player on the team.

I'm also happy to hear that you enjoy the games with your son. Great memories being made for you.

My son is 9, and this year has become a rabid football fan. He watches games with me all day Sunday, only stopping to ask if we can go outside to PLAY football. He plays Madden, always being the Pats. He could probably name 40 Pats. Yesterday, during halftime highlights, he was on the edge of his seat yelling "great pick', 'wow, what a hit' 'look at that ankle-breaker' 'did you see that pancake' etc, etc. His mother looked in at me from the other room with a look on her face like "Oh God, hes one of you"/

I made a rule for my son. At 9 years old, language starts to become an issue. I know what 9 years olds say on the playground, but I don't allow him to swear. I also have an issue with a kid saying someone 'sucks' and he picked that up at school. So, we made a new rule. He can only say Peyton Manning sucks. Everyone elses stinks, but the word 'sucks' is reserved only for Peyton Manning. Every time he slips, I say "No, you know who sucks" and he say "Peyton Manning sucks"

Football is the most fun it has ever been for me this year, with him so into it.
Last year he played flag football but didn't play this year because he's a big kid and would have had to jump 2 levels because of the weight limits (I see a 3-4 OLB in the making) but as ramped as I get for the Pats, his games were 1000X better.

I think Gaffney is starting to remind of David Patten.

Vrabel is having a pro bowl year imo.

If David Patten had been able to judge, react to, and catch the deep pass, he would have been an all-pro here. He got open deep as much as Moss does now. The difference is Moss gets to the ball, and Patten would always either overrun it or slow down and not get to it. If Patten were a major league outfielder, I'd bet he misjudges 3 flyballs a week. He was a good player despite that but would have put up great numbers if he had that skill.

If you had the Pats picking Mankins in Round 1, you should be living high in Vegas.

I also have an issue with a kid saying someone 'sucks' and he picked that up at school. So, we made a new rule. He can only say Peyton Manning sucks. Everyone elses stinks, but the word 'sucks' is reserved only for Peyton Manning. Every time he slips, I say "No, you know who sucks" and he say "Peyton Manning sucks"

Classic! Way to raise him right there Andy! Reminds me of a conversation I overheard at a Sox/Rangers game in TX game between a father and his 5? y/o son. The kid said something about hating someone or other and the father starts lecturing him about how that word is not to be used, how it is too strong a word, etc. Then he asks the kid who are the only ones it is okay to hate. Without missing a beat the kids says "I hate the yankees." The dad high fives him and says "that's right son, that's right." Classic man!

:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey