PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign WR Sam Aiken [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/03/aiken_in_the_fo.html

Aiken in the fold
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
March 3, 2008 02:11 PM

The Patriots hosted receiver Sam Aiken on a free-agent visit, and have reached an undisclosed contract agreement with him.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Aiken is considered a strong special teams performer. His receiving production has been limited, as he has 19 career receptions.

The Patriots are familiar with Aiken from having competed against him the last five seasons in Buffalo. The Bills selected Aiken in the fourth round of the 2003 draft.

Aiken will view to become a core member of the Patriots' special teams units.

Reiss: Aiken in the fold.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/03/aiken_in_the_fo.html

Aiken in the fold

The Patriots hosted receiver Sam Aiken on a free-agent visit, and have reached an undisclosed contract agreement with him.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Aiken is considered a strong special teams performer. His receiving production has been limited, as he has 19 career receptions.

The Patriots are familiar with Aiken from having competed against him the last five seasons in Buffalo. The Bills selected Aiken in the fourth round of the 2003 draft.

Pats sign Aiken a ST receiver type

Aiken in the fold

Re: Reiss: Aiken in the fold.

If I remember correctly, he was a real good special teams player, and I remember the Patriots being linked to him in the Draft that year.

Re: WR Sam Aiken signed

Sure hope he can play CB.

I really like Sam Aiken. Big, physical (am surprised he's only listed at 6ft).

Will make it on the roster even if just for his ST play.

If I remember correctly, he was a real good special teams player, and I remember the Patriots being linked to him in the Draft that year.

If I remember rightly Aiken was one of those players Belichick looked for to congratulate after a game. BB has talked up his ST play before a number of times too.

This Only Means That Kelley Washington Is Being Promoted To Play On Offense

Re: Pats sign Aiken a ST receiver type

This could me a few things,
1. Were not bringing back Gaffney and using Aiken to take up for Washington's gunner responsibilities cause he's going to be involved in the passing game this year.
2. He's training camp fodder and just a depth guy that BB wanted to take a peek at.
3. Were cutting willie andrews and using this guy as another gunner.
4. The deal with Moss was interupted when Daunte getting past security ran in sobbing. This is the next big thing in the Patriots eyes so they gave Randy's money to Sam.

This Only Means That Kelley Washington Is Being Promoted To Play On Offense

Agreed, that was my first thought as well. That was probably going to happen anyways, though.

Re: Pats sign Aiken a ST receiver type

This could me a few things,
1. Were not bringing back Gaffney and using Aiken to take up for Washington's gunner responsibilities cause he's going to be involved in the passing game this year.
2. He's training camp fodder and just a depth guy that BB wanted to take a peek at.
3. Were cutting willie andrews and using this guy as another gunner.
4. The deal with Moss was interupted when Daunte getting past security ran in sobbing. This is the next big thing in the Patriots eyes so they gave Randy's money to Sam.

I think #1 and 2 are correct. If Gaffney is not signed Washington will move to the #3/4 and Aiken will be used in his place. If Gaffney is signed then Aiken becomes a causality.

You guys got a great ST player in Aiken. Not only is he a great tackler, he is a great lead blocker for the return man. As a Bills fan, I will miss him. He is a high character guy, relentless and unselfish.

Sounds like a Patriot through and through

You guys got a great ST player in Aiken. Not only is he a great tackler, he is a great lead blocker for the return man. As a Bills fan, I will miss him. He is a high character guy, relentless and unselfish.

Thanks for the insight. That's a big factor, especially for ST+depth guys, you can never have enough good apples.

That's good news, 'cuz the last WR we had with "Sam" in his name didn't show much. Why hasn't he been used much in the offense?

Last edited:

Jonathan Smith2.0? YAWN.

That's good news, 'cuz the last WR we had with "Sam" in his name didn't show much. Why hasn't he been used much in the offense?

He was almost never used in the Bills offense. He was 5th in the depth chart behind Evans, Price, Reed, and Parrish. He made the roster year after year because he is that good on ST.

Jonathan Smith2.0? YAWN.
Well they signed (or are about to sign) Randy Moss today. Hopefully that fulfills your needs for a big signing. Meanwhile I'm excited to get another good special teams player.

Dropsies.

I really wouldn't expect him to any more time at WR than Washington did this year.

Jonathan Smith2.0? YAWN.

Sorry this isn't as sexy as the Bartolo Colon signing. I like it though. Aiken is a big receiver with strength. First and foremost he is a solid, solid special teams contributor. He is also a very good blocker as a receiver and on teams. He doesn't back down from anyone and he is physical once he catches the ball while also having the ability to break tackles but his real value obviously as a ST demon. He is a hard worker on and off the field and a definite character guy the Pats always look for. He will be last year's Kelley Washington while Washington moves up the depth chart as a receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down