PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign veteran OT Oliver Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.
And so it begins.

Oliver Ross: The catalyst for "Shadow-Roster Gate", coming soon to every blathering holier-than-thou sports talk show hypocrite.

Adding a veteran RT for camp makes sense. I'm sure the money was right. There are surprisingly no rookies, neither drafted nor even udfa at tackle. Josh Coffman was a Patriot for about 24 hours, from the time they signed him as a rookie free agent to the time they first saw him on the field.
If Kaczur or O'Callaghan is injured in training camp or preseason, he will be valuable. Right now, I'd say he is just above Marcus Pollard and just below Scott Player on the depth chart.
I agree...they did need one..depth and with experience..a no brainer..I think far above Pollard or Player...in the mix though IF he is not hurt...

I'm a bit surprised they signed Ross instead of Tom Ashworth. Ashworth is 3 years younger, has played here and the Pats won Super Bowls with him starting at tackle.

I am sure he is only looking for a minimum deal after getting cut by the Seahawks.

J D Sal

I'm a bit surprised they signed Ross instead of Tom Ashworth. Ashworth is 3 years younger, has played here and the Pats won Super Bowls with him starting at tackle.

I am sure he is only looking for a minimum deal after getting cut by the Seahawks.

J D Sal
I believe Ashworth is retiring

If the NEP are fully committed to the zone-blocking concept (incl. at RT), then I'd rather have a younger, leaner, healthier Shane Olivea than an older, fatter, slower, spent-the entire-2007-season-on-IR Oliver Ross. Heck, I'd rather have Tom Ashworth return: if Nick the Snitch is released/suspended but O'C can't cut the mustard, and Britt is needed at backup LT, then Ashworth's 4 years of experience would be invaluable.

Olivea could also be a viable solution at RG should Neal not be ready for TC or beyond. His lack of ideal RT height/wingspan could actually make him a better RG than RT.

I also would have interviewed OTs John Welbourn, Barry Sims and Barry Stokes before signing the (Really) Big O.

Edit: I didn't read the previous 2 posts before clicking "send." JDSal beat me to the Ashworth suggestion, and I hadn't heard that he was thinking of retiring.

Last edited:
I also would have interviewed OTs John Welbourn, Barry Sims and Barry Stokes before signing the (Really) Big O.

BB may have been anxious to get an OT on the roster before the news broke and might still add another.

Before the news broke BB could offer league min. Agent starts asking for performance bonuses or more money, BB can respond "you want a pay check or not? if he some how earns a starting role we can talk money next year."

Now players know that BB needs a solid OT.

That's a very good point, God. Still, I wonder if any of the others I mentioned might have taken the same deal.

If the NEP are fully committed to the zone-blocking concept (incl. at RT), then I'd rather have a younger, leaner, healthier Shane Olivea than an older, fatter, slower, spent-the entire-2007-season-on-IR Oliver Ross. Heck, I'd rather have Tom Ashworth return: if Nick the Snitch is released/suspended but O'C can't cut the mustard, and Britt is needed at backup LT, then Ashworth's 4 years of experience would be invaluable.

Olivea could also be a viable solution at RG should Neal not be ready for TC or beyond. His lack of ideal RT height/wingspan could actually make him a better RG than RT.

Edit: I didn't read the previous 2 posts before clicking "send." JDSal beat me to the Ashworth suggestion, and I hadn't heard that he was thinking of retiring.

I thought Olivea signed somewhere? Am I crazy?

That's a very good point, God. Still, I wonder if any of the others I mentioned might have taken the same deal.

Quite possibly would have taken the same deal. Might not have had time. We don't know when BB learned of the problem. If he learned about it late June 1 or the morning of June 2. It might have been a matter of there not being enough time to reach players/agents and get a deal done. And BB couldn't be certain of when story would be broken. He might have faxed the same deal to all four at noon. And one guy faxed it back at 2 pm.

Obviously Olivea's health is of primary concern. He apparently has a deal with someone, my guess is that it is based on passing a physical. If healthy I would like the pickup, the kid is tough and could play guard or tackle.

Ashworth was my other guesss, good job by JDSal.

In BB we trust, Neal is coming back from an injury, Kaczur is a druggie (albeit an ever so noble drughead) so of course the Pats don't draft anyone...

As for Ross, he is garbage, the annual player who retires before camp. If healthy I like the starters but the depth is highly suspect.

Olivea from rotoworld:
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2902
"The 49ers recently asked about free agent OL Shane Olivea, but were reportedly told that he's agreed to terms elsewhere.

The Jets inquired about Olivea, who can play guard and right tackle, after he was cut in February. Olivea will sign with the undisclosed team in June."

Obviously Olivea's health is of primary concern. He apparently has a deal with someone, my guess is that it is based on passing a physical. If healthy I would like the pickup, the kid is tough and could play guard or tackle.

Ashworth was my other guesss, good job by JDSal.

In BB we trust, Neal is coming back from an injury, Kaczur is a druggie (albeit an ever so noble drughead) so of course the Pats don't draft anyone...

As for Ross, he is garbage, the annual player who retires before camp. If healthy I like the starters but the depth is highly suspect.

Olivea from rotoworld:
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2902
"The 49ers recently asked about free agent OL Shane Olivea, but were reportedly told that he's agreed to terms elsewhere.

The Jets inquired about Olivea, who can play guard and right tackle, after he was cut in February. Olivea will sign with the undisclosed team in June."

Would be pretty fantastic if BB threw even more gas on the Pats-Jets bonfire by snaking Olivea out from under them. :)

Yes, he's retiring..I suggested that either he or Gorin might be a good pick up..(Gorin was re-signed and according to Reiss, Ashworth is returing.)

Quite possibly would have taken the same deal. Might not have had time. We don't know when BB learned of the problem. If he learned about it late June 1 or the morning of June 2. It might have been a matter of there not being enough time to reach players/agents and get a deal done. And BB couldn't be certain of when story would be broken. He might have faxed the same deal to all four at noon. And one guy faxed it back at 2 pm.

That would've been funny had it gone down like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes