PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign veteran DT Damione Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats sign Damione Lewis?

Leaving out Seau, each the other three players had more reps than Wilfork and Warren. Like it or not, these three were critical parts of our defense.
Hating to sound overly flippant but we lost a lot of snaps and very little production.

Green and Thomas combined for :
53 tackles, 24 assists, 4 sacks

A good strong side LB would get that himself.

I would miss Burgess slightly more as he did pick it up somewhat at the end but his season numbers were severely lacking too.

These three had a lot of reps but not a lot of production and they weren't critical to our defense. We've already replaced Green, anyway, with Lewis.

loved him in "Band of Brothers"........Oh,.....wait a minute.....Duh!:bricks:

Burgess' snaps were almost exclusively as a nickel DE. I don't think it'd be that hard to draft a guy an tell him to go in and rush the passer on every play. There are lots of guys like that in this draft.

AD's PT will be harder to replace. I think it'll be a combination of increasing PT of TBC, Ninkovich, Woods, and a rookie - with the possible contributions of Crable/McKenzie.

As for Jarvis, I don't think his PT will be that hard to replace. The big question is how much Jarvis' replacements can improve on his performance of last year.
Thomas was awful. Pretty much anyone is an upgrade. This is addition by subtraction at its best

loved him in "Band of Brothers"........Oh,.....wait a minute.....Duh!:bricks:

Cretin! No, he was in the TV show "Life" featuring "Our Miss Reynolds"

Last edited:

Thomas was awful. Pretty much anyone is an upgrade. This is addition by subtraction at its best

I'm not going to argue the merits of AD's play. I think the fact that he got benched for 2 games and then came back to play the majority of snaps after that tells us all we need to know about the ability of guys currently on the roster to perform better than him - unfortunately. Woods has to be the biggest disappointment there.

Yes, Thomas was so terrible AND needed to be shown a lesson AND would never be back. What does it tell us when he still started and had more reps by far than Ninkovich and Woods?

I'm not going to argue the merits of AD's play. I think the fact that he got benched for 2 games and then came back to play the majority of snaps after that tells us all we need to know about the ability of guys currently on the roster to perform better than him - unfortunately. Woods has to be the biggest disappointment there.

Cretin! No, he was in the TV show "Life" featuring "Our Miss Reynolds"

played major winters in BofB.....also in the escapist as The prison king .....btw,he's British.

......don't mess with me on movies,skippy.

Cretin?......you are so,beaurgeoise:rocker:

beaurgeoise????

I'm gonna go out on a limb and use my middle class education to hazard a guess you meant bourgeoisie.

of course if you are referring to a combination of beige and turquoise colors, I humbly apologize.

beaurgeoise????

I'm gonna go out on a limb and use my middle class education to hazard a guess you meant bourgeoisie.

of course if you are referring to a combination of beige and turquoise colors, I humbly apologize.

apology accepted:singing:

Funny, I was thinking Warren and Wilfork inside, with Pryor and Lewis on the outsides for the 4-3 option,,,

I think they are very happy with Pryor and with this move may try to get him on the field more,,,

And will there be some late round picks of the quicker type DT in a couple of weeks??

Once again, just like last off-season, it looks like the Pats want to have the ability to play 4-3. Lewis and Wilfork on the inside with Warren, and (insert first round draft pick here) playing the ends. With Mayo in the middle, and the mixture of TBC, Crable, draft picks on the outside.

This is a solid move for the Pats, since he was cut, his signing does not count against the free-agent losses vs. gains formula that gives out comp picks. As of today, the Pats have lost two UFA (Green, Watson) and signed one (Crumpler) so the Pats should be looking at 2 more comp picks next year (and not 7th round ones, either). Now if someone would sign Burguess, we could get a third comp pick.

I see Pryor getting the 3rd down reps that went to Jarvis Green previously.

It will be interesting to see what the Pats run on 3rd downs for the nickle. Will it be a 2-4, a 1-5, or a 3-3..

OK, I give up.

Why isn't the 4-2-5 one of the options for the nickel with 4-1-6 for the dime?

I see Pryor getting the 3rd down reps that went to Jarvis Green previously.

It will be interesting to see what the Pats run on 3rd downs for the nickle. Will it be a 2-4, a 1-5, or a 3-3..

We must have a deal in place with Burgess. He'd be crazy to wait until after the draft league wide ........... Burgess/Pryor/Lewis with another rookie should be enough. OTOH, it definitely doesn't excite me.

OK, I give up.

Why isn't the 4-2-5 one of the options for the nickel with 4-1-6 for the dime?
I'm sure those two will be the passing down defenses most used.

The Lewis signing intrigues me more every day. I'm starting to think he may be an Anthony Pleasant hold-the-fort type that gets them into next season's draft. This signing may release the Patriots from scrounging for a DE. They may feel as though Odrick isn't the answer, and that no one else is. So, have that position manned by Lewis/Pryor/Wright.

It's a good move that frees them up for things they need to do on draft day: OLB, OLB, WR, G/C, TE, WR, ILB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back