Not open for further replies.
Darin Gannt, a beat writer for the Panthers, had this to say via twitter:

Here is his blog entry on it:

LINK

Here is his article from when Lewis was released:

LINK

... and those asking about his pass rush:

Good finds.

Sounds like he could do a job in some of the sub packages. Happy enough with this provided we're still looking at the Odrick's or Carringtons.

If he is coming to play DT then Prior and especially Brace should be working that little bit harder this morning

Have no idea who this guy is, but since he's from the U, I'm a fan.

I could be wrong but it always seemed to me that BB brings in a vet before the draft then actually drafts a player for that very same position.

Back in 2001 Rams defensive coordinator Lovie Smith, fresh from Tampa Bay, thought Damione Lewis could be the next Warren Sapp. it never happened with the Rams. He was pretty much a one trick pony, an explosive first step between the guard and tackle but no counter moves if he couldn't beat the guard off the snap. I like the way he would sell out and how he played hard every day.

I know he has learned to use his hands and protect himself better but I can't see him as a 3-4 defensive end. Dorsey at least was able to take on opposing lineman and move laterally. That isn't Lewis.

Once again, just like last off-season, it looks like the Pats want to have the ability to play 4-3. Lewis and Wilfork on the inside with Warren, and (insert first round draft pick here) playing the ends. With Mayo in the middle, and the mixture of TBC, Crable, draft picks on the outside.

This is a solid move for the Pats, since he was cut, his signing does not count against the free-agent losses vs. gains formula that gives out comp picks. As of today, the Pats have lost two UFA (Green, Watson) and signed one (Crumpler) so the Pats should be looking at 2 more comp picks next year (and not 7th round ones, either). Now if someone would sign Burguess, we could get a third comp pick.

Re: Pats sign Damione Lewis?

Wilfork was a 4-3 DT in College, and I'm not sure whether you noticed, but our base defense last year for the majority, was the 4-3....
What team are you talking about?

What team are you talking about?
I have no idea. Maybe we played more downs with 4 DL due to nickel, etc, I don't have a count, but on first and second down we were usually in a 3-4 with Wilfork's pretty face right over the center. Same as always.

I have no idea. Maybe we played more downs with 4 DL due to nickel, etc, I don't have a count, but on first and second down we were usually in a 3-4 with Wilfork's pretty face right over the center. Same as always.

Simply not true.

If I have time I'll go through the Player Participation log on PFF, they have every snap detailed including formation.

I've seen a couple of games, and we were 4-3 BASE in many games. Including the one at Wembley, where Pryor started in a 4 man front.

Simply not true.

If I have time I'll go through the Player Participation log on PFF, they have every snap detailed including formation
Like I said, we may have played with 4 DL more as a combination of matchups, Wilfork's missing games and passing downs. But I don't believe for a second that most games we came out with 4 DL. How you want to define "base defense" may differ from how I define it but in general Wilfork played over the center in a 3 man line to open games and series.

Like I said, we may have played with 4 DL more as a combination of matchups, Wilfork's missing games and passing downs. But I don't believe for a second that most games we came out with 4 DL. How you want to define "base defense" may differ from how I define it but in general Wilfork played over the center in a 3 man line to open games and series.

I define it the same as you, and I disagree with your assessment of the season. We were in a heck of a lot of 4 man fronts starting games, series and possessions.

I define it the same as you, and I disagree with your assessment of the season. We were in a heck of a lot of 4 man fronts starting games, series and possessions.
Well I don't see it :

Meriweather tops playtime chart - Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Pryor played about 27% of the snaps. Green got more than I would have though, mostly as a combination of various injuries and pass rushing situations I believe.

When you look at Mayo and Guyton's snaps, that answers it for me even with Guyton's extra snaps with Mayo's injuries.

Last edited:

DE Derrick Burgess – 57.3 percent
DL Jarvis Green – 57.2 percent
OLB Adalius Thomas – 54.1 percent
ILB Junior Seau – 11.9 percent

Interesting to look at the % of snaps the departed & potentially departed took last season. A good # of plays to be replaced by...?

I will say this: Lewis stays on the field, and I always love these non-stop motor types. He was like that in college. He is like that in the pros.

I agree with this and add one more thing. From all reports, Lewis was a great locker room leader. Remember last year we had issues with leadership. I am really thrilled with this addition right before the draft. I expect the starters will be chosen based on a competitive camp, per usual.

When there is a need, there needs to be competition for roster spots, and insurance in case of injuries. Unless someone is counting on Richard and Grady, we have six players for six roster spots.

Also, Belichick tries to fill all the roster spots BEFORE the draft. This prevents the team from being to forced to be draft for a 2010 contributer at a particular position.

We all understand how difficult it is to find players we can count on at a particular position AFTER the draft.

I could be wrong but it always seemed to me that BB brings in a vet before the draft then actually drafts a player for that very same position.

That's one thing I like about Bill before the draft. He tends to have a complete team prior to the draft. He leaves himself in a very fluid situation to grab the talent that is in his reach at all positions.

the way I see it is we have Vince and a lot of sub packages.

I think the problem here is fans trying to define us as a 3-4 and a 4-3.

Those days are over for the time being IMO.

We will be 2 men in the box up to 8 in the box ... I doubt we even have a base defense anymore.

As long as Bill has a NTfor when he needs one ... he can do anything from there.

Last edited:

the way I see it is we have Vince and a lot of sub packages.
I agree but I don't agree with this concept that we were a "4-3 base" team last year.

I agree but I don't agree with this concept that we were a "4-3 base" team last year.

I agree also with what you say ... :yeahthat:

Leaving out Seau, each the other three players had more reps than Wilfork and Warren. Like it or not, these three were critical parts of our defense.

I suppose we can expect the 3rd ILB, whoever he is, to absorb the reps of Seau (presumably the palyer will be McKenzie).

=====================================
POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS SO FAR FOR REPLACING GREEN's REPS
1) Increase PRYOR's reps from 27.1
2) Increase BRACE's reps from 5.1
3) Give significant reps to LEWIS
Two of these could make up for Green's reps. There is every reason to think that LEWIS can take Green's reps. His past record is as least as prodcutive as Green's.
======================================

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS SO FAR FOR REPLACING THE REPS OF BURGESS AND THOMAS
1) The team is talking to Burgess
2) Increase the reps of Ninkovich from 12.6
3) Give some reps to Crable
4) Sign another veteran and give him some reps (like the signing of Lewis)

And then there is the draft and the HOPE that rookies will make significant contributions in 2010.

DE Derrick Burgess – 57.3 percent
DL Jarvis Green – 57.2 percent
OLB Adalius Thomas – 54.1 percent

Interesting to look at the % of snaps the departed & potentially departed took last season. A good # of plays to be replaced by...?

Last edited:

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS SO FAR FOR REPLACING THE REPS OF BURGESS AND THOMAS
1) The team is talking to Burgess
2) Increase the reps of Ninkovich from 12.6
3) Give some reps to Crable
4) Sign another veteran and give him some reps (like the signing of Lewis)

And then there is the draft and the HOPE that rookies will make significant contributions in 2010.

Burgess' snaps were almost exclusively as a nickel DE. I don't think it'd be that hard to draft a guy an tell him to go in and rush the passer on every play. There are lots of guys like that in this draft.

AD's PT will be harder to replace. I think it'll be a combination of increasing PT of TBC, Ninkovich, Woods, and a rookie - with the possible contributions of Crable/McKenzie.

As for Jarvis, I don't think his PT will be that hard to replace. The big question is how much Jarvis' replacements can improve on his performance of last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back