PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign veteran DT Damione Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhhhh............meow

I didn't call you one because I don't want Ian private messaging me telling me that I was being mean again, otherwise I may have said something a wee bit different.

You DEFINITELY are MY HERO though, don't you worry, everyone here thinks your the best.
Don't pay attention to the folks that think your just like Summers Eve, I don't think that way at all, I think your the greatest!
Thanks for your instruction man, I feel refreshed already!
You should do an infomercial in greatness, it would sell like hotcakes on the Alaska plain in December.

Thanks Again, Your the best!!

Hugs!

This is nice, everyone getting along. I'm getting an oh so fresh feeling just reading this.

Lewis is certainly good enough to compete with Pryor and Brace for reps at DT.

I don't know how many reps he'll get at DE. He hasn't played DE and he is short for the position.

Going into the draft, we now have

DE Warren Wright
NT Wilfork
DT/NT Brace, Pryor, Lewis
======================

We'll see if we add a passrusher before the draft.

Last edited:

I don't know how many reps he'll get at DE. He hasn't played DE and he is short for the position.

Exactly who came up with the "Height Requirements" to play the line?
I'm not being a smartas$, I can only think of lower shoulder height for leverage, or arm length.
What ever happened to a "Player", a guy that KNOWS how to play and is tough as nails, has that gone by the wayside in "the science" of football?

I guess I'm easy since it doesn't take much to make me happy beyond Bill signing a former first round DL talent who has been gainfully employed in the league for nine seasons and has a reputation as a solid pro on and off the field...on a Friday afternoon 3 weeks pre draft.

DE Warren Wright
NT Wilfork
======================

If something ever happened to Wilfork,woh takes his place as the 3-4 NT?

DE Warren Wright
NT Wilfork
======================

I'll bet you a donut he plays more DE than DT. Looks like a smart vet and I don't see us paying for a complete vet DE, if there are any available.

If we're drafting a DE, somebody's going to fill that gap until he adjusts and Mike Wright ain't going from FA to all pro in a few seasons, no matter how much we like him.

Last edited:
I didn't call you one because I don't want Ian private messaging me telling me that I was being mean again, otherwise I may have said something a wee bit different.

You DEFINITELY are MY HERO though, don't you worry, everyone here thinks your the best.
Don't pay attention to the folks that think your just like Summers Eve, I don't think that way at all, I think your the greatest!
Thanks for your instruction man, I feel refreshed already!
You should do an infomercial in greatness, it would sell like hotcakes on the Alaska plain in December.

Thanks Again, Your the best!!

Hugs!

:confused2: You made a stupid post. I responded and you chose to dig deeper rather than admitting your post was a poor one. The rest is just clarification and irrelevancy. Your opinion of me means nothing to me. The humor and irony in you calling others out when you've got that sig makes the thread worthwhile to me.

Way to needlessly go completely personal with this last post, though.

Last edited:
:confused2: You made a stupid post. I responded and you chose to dig deeper rather than admitting your post was a poor one. The rest is just clarification and irrelevancy. Your opinion of me means nothing to me. The humor and irony in you calling others out when you've got that sig makes the thread worthwhile to me.

Way to needlessly go completely personal with this last post, though.

Snore as usual, sure smells refreshed around here though...........

Moving on..............

Last edited:
I'm fine if he plays more DE and beats out Wright for reps at DE. We'll see him in various roles in the training camp and in the preseason.

I just hope that we are still drafting a 3-4 defensive end, and let the competition begin.

I'll bet you a donut he plays more DE than DT. Looks like a smart vet and I don't see us paying for a complete vet DE, if there are any available.

If we're drafting a DE, somebody's going to fill that gap until he adjusts and Mike Wright ain't going from FA to all pro in a few seasons, no matter how much we like him.

Last edited:
I don't have an answer.

In the past Green adnd Wright have done so. Brace and Pryor could be the backup. I'm sure Belichick will try lots of folks in camp and in the preseason.

The HOPE is that Brace is that player.

If something ever happened to Wilfork,woh takes his place as the 3-4 NT?

I'm fine if he plays more DE and beats out Wright for reps at DE. We'll see him in various roles in the training camp and in the preseason.

I just hope that we are still drafting a 3-4 defensive end, and let the competition begin.

I think it will be by committee and i do expect a promising rookie. Even Seymour didn't start for a while. I don't expect we'll draft a Seymour and Wright was a nice find, but projecting him as a dominant starting DE is a stretch.

I think it will be by committee and i do expect a promising rookie. Even Seymour didn't start for a while. I don't expect we'll draft a Seymour and Wright was a nice find, but projecting him as a dominant starting DE is a stretch.

Actually, Seymour played NT most of his first year with the Pats

No one is suggesting that Wright is a dominant starting DE.

I don't have an answer.

In the past Green adnd Wright have done so. Brace and Pryor could be the backup. I'm sure Belichick will try lots of folks in camp and in the preseason.

The HOPE is that Brace is that player.

I think we just need to let Brace develop. We're set with Wilfork and have other players so why worry if a big guy takes a little longer to develop. He'll be a find if he has the attitude and patience to learn as few dominant nose tackles emerge from college each year, that's why guys like Washington and Traylor stay in demand.

He'll never be a Wilfork, he doesn't have that athleticism, but if he learns technique and can take the pounding, he'll be a valuable backup or tradeable. He's a project.

Re: Pats sign Damione Lewis?

Wilfork was a 4-3 DT in College, and I'm not sure whether you noticed, but our base defense last year for the majority, was the 4-3....

Where a guy played in college really isnt relevant. Bruschi was a 4 - 3 DE at AZ. Edelman a QB at Kent State;

Wilfork WAS a 4 - 3 DT at Maimi.

Not anymore, hes a 3 - 4 NT now and has gained the weight and perfected his technique to deserve the contract NE just extended to him.

NE is still a base 3 - 4 defense and the personnel clearly bears that out - Alexander, Banta Cain, Crable,Mayo,Thomas,McKenzie,Guyton,Murrell,Williams, Ninovich.

Seems like a lot of LBs (11) for a 4 - 3 team to me.

If Lewis was an ideal fit, he would have been much in demand. Still, he could be one who flew under the public radar. Some of the best signings are unheralded when they happen. On the other hand, the most celebrated signings are the ones that have failed spectacularly over the past year or two (thomas and galloway as FAs, and lewis and burgess through trades).

Actually, Seymour played NT most of his first year with the Pats

I don't think he played right away and we ended up playing mostly 4-3, I believe because of personnel, so maybe he was the only guy big enough to anchor a 3-4?

Warren did a nice job at nose while Washington was out too and he didn't start right away either.

Either way, I don't expect a rookie DE to have a lot of impact immediately, which is why i would expect Lewis to get some snaps there barring another vet acquisition.

By the way, I would guess he played more 4-3 tackle than nose in 2001.

Bet you a donut Ken.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye