PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Testaverde

Status
Not open for further replies.
RayClay said:
Bingo! I pretty much called all of this in recent posts. Testaverde replaces the QB coach and uncle to Brady part of Weis, I did predict Mruc even if I called him M@#$%$%#ski and I think I implied Mills would get a big splinter in his ass with Pass returning.

And if I didn't, I was thinking it.:D
you are the guru in the genie bottle.

makes you wonder how much brady and mcdaniels are missing doug flutie.

i think this benefits mcdaniels alot more

Last edited:
Fanfrom1960 said:
Why do you say that?
Cassell was on the injury report recently, so we know he was hurting to some degree. Since he's a backup not likely to see action, Belichick probably didn't make it a priority to keep his status on the injury report as accurate as possible. If Brady needs a vet to consult, Vinny could have been brought on as an assistant coach/consultant for a lot cheaper than the vet minimum (and taking up a roster spot to boot), so either he's hurting or Cassell. I'm going with Matt. Call it a sleeper pick.

Regards,
Chris

GJAJ15 said:
With this comment mind, the only thing that would make sense is that Brady has some injury problems.. agree would not take up a roster spot for someone to talk to Brady on the sidelines
There is zero reason to think that Brady is hurt. Signing Vinny as a player gives them a mentor for Brady plus someone who could play if needed. It helps in both ways, probably more the former but giving them an option if Brady does get a serious injury is of value. Don't make this into something bigger than it is.

I think you can kiss Brady goodbye very soon.

At least for the regular season if not the playoffs too. He has sucked for the last 2 games. He was super in Minny, and he came out wrong with the first play of the Colts. I think he is badly injured. They thought they could hide it like last year, but the Jets game shows they can't win with a QB less than 100%.

If you watch the Caldwell TD reception in the Jets game: Usually Brady runs to the endzone and grabs and hugs the guy who made the TD. He will pull them close and sometimes lift them off their feet, pulling them into his body.

Brady walked a bit, but waited for Caldwell to come to him, then put out his arms and grabbed Caldwell by the forearms and kept him at arms length from his body. I don't think Brady hates Caldwell or anything, I think he is injured again.

He had a hernia last year and they said it could be because of a hit, or because of too much weight lifting. I am betting he has another tear, or the same one openned back up. Either a hit at the end of the Minny game or too much weight, trying to ramp up for the Colts.

In any event, I am glad to see the brain trust doing something about it, rather than ignoring it because Tom is so great when he is 100%. I want us to keep winning and Tom just can't seem to get it done. So let him take care of his problem, and hopefully get back in time for the playoffs.

Last year when McNabb had the hernia and their team admitted it, the sports guys were saying 6-8 weeks and then he could be back for the Playoffs. The Eagles/McNabb didn't go for it, and he was crippled and the team sucked, until he finally had to stop and it was too late to get back. Hopefully we won't make the same mistake.

Of course if its a shoulder injury then who knows. But I think if Tom starts to struggle and throw balls all over the place Testeverde can come in. Though I would prefer a plan, and him actually becoming familiar with the offense, before he has to take over.

In any event I think this is positive because the braintrust are doing something about the problem, and it means Tom is hasn't suddenly become mediocre, or god forbid average.

good point NEM. MAybe this is a discrete way to upgrade the o-coord position.

cassel and 16 others were on the injury report. maybe there are a bunch of players not letting onto how injured they are. this is a farce

Pat_Nasty said:
If they were just looking for someone to talk to Brady on the sidelines, they could have brought Testaverde on as a coach, and not wasted a valuable roster spot.

The roster spot isn't that valuable, since 3rd QB doesn't count against 45 actives.

BelichickFan said:
There is zero reason to think that Brady is hurt. Signing Vinny as a player gives them a mentor for Brady .... Don't make this into something bigger than it is.

Ah, BeliFan, dear BeliFan.
You know i like a lot of what you say here ... because i've said so.
This, though, is not one of your shrewder insights.

Zero reason?
Is that why every week for at least a year and a half he has been on the injury report
as "Probable / Shoulder" ?

A mentor for Brady?
Oh come on now!
BRADY needs a mentor?!

Making into something bigger than it is?
What could be bigger for the New England Patriots
than signing a 43-year-old workout maven ...
in mid-season ... with no practice time or conversancy with the playbook ...
at the cost of a roster space
at the position their HOF QB in-waiting plays
... without any plausible rationale?

Last edited:
the amt of hits he took in the jets game...hope he is ok...cant wait to see his press conf tommorow...

psychoPat said:
A mentor for Brady?
Oh come on now!
BRADY needs a mentor?![/COLOR]
He doesn't need a replacement any more than he needs a mentor. Just someone who he can shoot the bull with about what he's seeing while McDaniels is thinking about his playcalls for the next series.

PatsFan-NH said:
I think you can kiss Brady goodbye very soon.

At least for the regular season if not the playoffs too. He has sucked for the last 2 games. He was super in Minny, and he came out wrong with the first play of the Colts. I think he is badly injured. They thought they could hide it like last year, but the Jets game shows they can't win with a QB less than 100%.

If you watch the Caldwell TD reception in the Jets game: Usually Brady runs to the endzone and grabs and hugs the guy who made the TD. He will pull them close and sometimes lift them off their feet, pulling them into his body.

Brady walked a bit, but waited for Caldwell to come to him, then put out his arms and grabbed Caldwell by the forearms and kept him at arms length from his body. I don't think Brady hates Caldwell or anything, I think he is injured again.

He had a hernia last year and they said it could be because of a hit, or because of too much weight lifting. I am betting he has another tear, or the same one openned back up. Either a hit at the end of the Minny game or too much weight, trying to ramp up for the Colts.

In any event, I am glad to see the brain trust doing something about it, rather than ignoring it because Tom is so great when he is 100%. I want us to keep winning and Tom just can't seem to get it done. So let him take care of his problem, and hopefully get back in time for the playoffs.

Last year when McNabb had the hernia and their team admitted it, the sports guys were saying 6-8 weeks and then he could be back for the Playoffs. The Eagles/McNabb didn't go for it, and he was crippled and the team sucked, until he finally had to stop and it was too late to get back. Hopefully we won't make the same mistake.

Of course if its a shoulder injury then who knows. But I think if Tom starts to struggle and throw balls all over the place Testeverde can come in. Though I would prefer a plan, and him actually becoming familiar with the offense, before he has to take over.

In any event I think this is positive because the braintrust are doing something about the problem, and it means Tom is hasn't suddenly become mediocre, or god forbid average.

I think you are clearly a moron.

PatsFan-NH said:
He was super in Minny, and he came out wrong with the first play of the Colts. I think he is badly injured.
So he became "badly injured" in practice between the two games ?

"what in the h-e-l-l is going here"`-`to quote the one time winningest coach in the playoffs, man i read this thread and was wiping my eyes. Is Tom really hurt!!!

I havent really posted at all this week. For good reason.

But this is ultimate overrreaction thread. I mean Brady is done?

Get the f out.

How is Brady done after two bad starts? Jesus people hes human if you were expecting this to go on for his entire career then people might as well start running for shelter now because the sky is about a inch away from the ground in your world.

Oswlek said:
Probably a way to get enough passing prectice for the O without wearing out Brady's arm.

BINGO! This is the one explanation that makes sense. Vinny is experinced
in Belichick ways and can help bring the new receivers up to speed.
You got 4 new receivers and they all need penty of reps to get this
system down. Months ago I suggested that for Brady to work all these
receivers enough was going to be real hard on him

Maybe this is why he has been off in his game. It's been noted he was
putting in extra time with the receivers. This has put a lot of stress on
his arm. This move probably came from Brady finally admitting to Belichick
that his arm is tired.
After the uncharacteristic thows I've seen Brady make this past two weeks
.... this move makes a lot of sense.

JR4 said:

that his arm is tired.
what u said here makes total sense, thanks for calming me down and bringing reason to this post...

Halifax_Pats_Fan said:
what u said here makes total sense, thanks for calming me down and bringing reason to this post...

Actually Matt Cassel complained about not having a Heisman trophy winner around anymore and since Andre Ware and Ty Detmer weren't available.........

Last edited:
Halifax_Pats_Fan said:

What the heck is Cassel doing? Playing Bingo. I think Vinney is more coach than player.

JR4 said:

that his arm is tired.

You and Oswlk nailed it. I'll bet that scenario played out just like that, too.

BelichickFan said:
He doesn't need a replacement any more than he needs a mentor.
He's not named Drew..so... Funny how it's been Bledsoe, Huard, Miller Flutie...and now???? Hmmm no backup vet and..he's off to his worse start...and??? Do you think it a coincidence of not having a vet backup?? I think it helps..has and will now. Granted Weiss was a pretty loud and opinionated OC..and McDaniels is just learning..but?? What about last year?? Brady was just fine...Maybe part is injury..part needing an older exp QB to help out..a few factors. It only helps.

JR4 said:

that his arm is tired.
Yeah, but Brady has been missing Graham, Watson, Brown and Faulk. You can't blame that on needing time to get receivers up to speed.

This whole up to speed thing is over-rated anyway. WRs change teams every year and don't need 8 games to "get up to speed."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back