Pats sign safety Brandon McGowan

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
ESPN: Pats reach agreement with McGowan - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Who again?

The Patriots have reached a two-year contract agreement with free-agent safety Brandon McGowan, according to John Clayton of ESPN.

The 5-foot-11, 207-pound McGowan is considered a physical player. The former Maine Black Bear was limited to two games last season by an ankle injury.

With the Patriots drafting safety Patrick Chung 34th overall, and reaching an agreement with the 25-year-old McGowan, the likelihood of Rodney Harrison returning becomes that much more of a long shot.

This is mighty interesting. Is it unusual to toss a 2 year deal at camp fodder?

Are we setting up to play some kind of eleven DB defense? hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Pats sign safety Brandon McGowan (2 Year Deal).

Will he play olb????:rolleyes:

He was another one of those promising safeties a couple of years ago. Didn't realise he was still out there.

Depends. Two years and a large SB, yes. Two years and a small SB, no.

Case in point: they signed Guyton last year to a two-year deal with a $12K signing bonus.

Patriots Sign S McGowan

Ian's Daily Blog - ESPN’s John Clayton reports the Patriots have*signed safety Brandon McGowan to a two year contract.McGowan, 25, spent the past four years with the Chicago Bears.* His signing, along with the addition of 2nd round draft choice*Patrick Chung,*may signal that the door may be closing on a return for Rodney Harrison.

Re: Patriots Sign S McGowan

Ian's Daily Blog - ESPN’s John Clayton reports the Patriots have*signed safety Brandon McGowan to a two year contract.McGowan, 25, spent the past four years with the Chicago Bears.* His signing, along with the addition of 2nd round draft choice*Patrick Chung,*may signal that the door may be closing on a return for Rodney Harrison.

Nothing on twitter yet !

Last edited:

We play a lot of 3 safety formations. You need 4-5 safety`s if we are going to do that

sander,merriweather and chung are the top 3 . so tank and mcgowan will be fightinig for the last spot

satz

Strange, nothing from the Pats Twitter on this ! Recently, everything showed up there just before most news outlets report it.

This guy has a shot at making the team. He was a former starter for the Bears.

Only 25 years old. Nice to see a former Maine player on the team.

Last edited:

Whatever will help our team!!

He has had a lot of injuries, in '07 when healthy he had 50 tackles, couple of interceptions, 3 Passes defensed..

Keep contending that this team will not be on the bottom in Red Zone DEFENSE this year...

Last edited:

Makes sense to bring in some more competition. Right now we've got Meriweather, Sanders, Chung, and maybe Spann? as our top four safeties. We bring in an UDFA, plus this guy, see if they can beat out Spann for that fourth spot. If not, oh well.

We play a lot of 3 safety formations. You need 4-5 safety`s if we are going to do that

sander,merriweather and chung are the top 3 . so tank and mcgowan will be fightinig for the last spot

satz

Springs could well feature on the depth chart there as well

Makes sense to bring in some more competition. Right now we've got Meriweather, Sanders, Chung, and maybe Spann? as our top four safeties. We bring in an UDFA, plus this guy, see if they can beat out Spann for that fourth spot. If not, oh well.

Plus Springs, Tank and maybe even Harrison

Seems were quite well loaded there TBH but it looks a good pick up if he's healthy

Plus Springs, Tank and maybe even Harrison

Seems were quite well loaded there TBH but it looks a good pick up if he's healthy

Wow, don't know why I forgot Tank... I'm not convinced Rodney is coming back though. I hope so for sentiments sake, but I just can't see it happening.

Wow, don't know why I forgot Tank... I'm not convinced Rodney is coming back though. I hope so for sentiments sake, but I just can't see it happening.

With the numbers there now I can't see it, esp after both McGowan and Sanders signing plus year deals

Not at all. Kinda depends on the numbers and if any is guarnteed.

The absolute best deal for a team is to sign the player to a 4 year deal at league min.

If he gets cut at camp the cost to the team is what ever needs to be paid as part of camp compensation. If he turns out to be great the team has his rights for 4 years for peanuts.

With a UDFA project that is more likely to make contribution year 2 instead of year 1, you don't want to have him taking up a roster or PS space for a year and then sign elsewhere the following year.

Nice to see a regional player make the team! Go Black Bears!

Alas, this spells the end for Rodney. Pity!

Strange, nothing from the Pats Twitter on this ! Recently, everything showed up there just before most news outlets report it.

Twitter's obsolete ;)

Twitter's obsolete ;)

Dagnabbit! I just got the stupid thing figured out! hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back