PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign S Tank Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting. I sorta understand this, sorta not. What do you mean by "Belichick is moving closer and closer to having 2 safties on the field at the same time"? Normally there is a SS and FS. Do you mean 2 SS's?

Originally Posted by F.B.N. View Post
Like I have been saying for a few years now Belichick is moving closer and closer to having 2 safties on the field at the same time. I think when he gets it right he'll spend the money to have 2 upper tier safties in the box on a good number of plays. He's getting closer and closer to soccer formations where strong teams play with 5 midfielders instead of the customary 4 midfielders. ... in this case it will be a 3-3-2 which will replace the 3-4-1.

Instead of controlling the line of scrimmage Belichick has been working to perfect controlling the linebacker area. I laugh everytime the announcers talk of how good the Patriots are in the defensive redzone. It's not just there that they get better ... it's that Belichick employs protecting that "redzone area" all the way up and down the field.

I can't wait till he gets it like he likes it ... it will change the defensive side of the ball forever and other teams will be several drafts away from even beginning to copy it. If Rodney were younger I think Belichick would employ it full force right now.(quote)

It occurs to me that everyone discussing the off-season secondary moves ignores the impact the signing of Dom Capers will have. This defensive philosophy will change significantly, IMO. BB said, on signing Capers, that he couldn't wait to get get to work with him and Pees. The recent signings in the secondary, while not impact players, may well reflect changes to a more aggressive approach.
Parenthetically, I would not be surprised to see Willie Andrews cut, in view of his "possession with intent" arrest.

It occurs to me that everyone discussing the off-season secondary moves ignores the impact the signing of Dom Capers will have. This defensive philosophy will change significantly, IMO. BB said, on signing Capers, that he couldn't wait to get get to work with him and Pees. The recent signings in the secondary, while not impact players, may well reflect changes to a more aggressive approach.

I brought Capers up in my last post. I think we will see a better-coached secondary next year, and players like Hobbs and Sanders will shine.

Parenthetically, I would not be surprised to see Willie Andrews cut, in view of his "possession with intent" arrest.
BHSL2 said:
I brought Capers up in my last post. I think we will see a better-coached secondary next year, and players like Hobbs and Sanders will shine.
Very, very interesting and I hadn't thought of that. That these signings (Williams, Webster) had to have been influenced by Capers and a changing approach to the secondary. They may have contacted Capers shortly after the Fins season folded up and had him work with Pioli while the coaches were focused on the playoffs.

As to F.B.N.s odd and interesting comments about BB moving towards a philosophy of having 2 safeties at all times (as opposed to having Wilfork cover deep), I think that's more a reflection of Harrison having unusual play-recognition skills. If Williams is as smart as everyone says, maybe he can play the LB/S role that Harrison used to play close to the line, when the Pats would yank most of the DL off the field.

Count me as very comfortable with Sanders/Meri as the startign SS/FS. Bringing in Williams on 3rd down can help protect against checkdowns, screens and draws to RBs like Addai who can shed a lighter CB and run around a LB. That's the kind of play that an intelligent and heavier DB is best suited to stop.

I, too, hope that the hiring of Capers indicates a move toward a more aggressive secondary.

(I'm still highly pissed that the first play from scrimmage on The Drive That Shall Not Be Named was an 11-yard completion, easy as pie. Absolutely effin brutal.)

Barring injuries, our Safties on Opening Day could be:
Harrison - Sanders
Tank Williams - Meriweather
Ventrone

Our CB situation is still a mess, of course. Suffice to say that:
Hobbs - Webster
Mixon - Richardson
Spann
ain't cutting the mustard, though I'm pretty sure that the FO isn't finished yet.

Re: Pats sign Tank Williams

Someone has to replace Wilson.

Any player who can maintain body temperature will replace Wilson. He's been the invisible safety for the last two years.

Gotta love that he's a Stanford product as well - shows enough intelligence that BB has to love his upside; sounds like we got him for next to nothing so again, just like the Webster signing, we get another guy who WANTS to play here, who is smart, bit, and was known for hard hitting and run stuffing before a major injury that he's almost 2 years past. I love the pickup!

I do too. Get smart, hungry guys and return to the solid, disciplined Defense that carried us in the past. The intelligence will hopefully help him get the defensive play book down pat.

Rodney was actually playing LB in the postseason on several occasions. That doesn't "expose" the secondary. It adds versatility to the D and takes advantage of his pass rush ability. It was something we hadn't seen much of and it worked well vs SD especially.

His coverage was lacking though. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating cutting ties with Rodney, he can contribute in a lot of different ways, but I do think it'd be super if his 3 mill cap # could be lowered by about a mill. It's splitting hairs, but the cap space is getting tight, and Rodney's # is the one that jumps off the page to me.

I like Tank if he can return to form, but I am tired of having such a SLOW defense :(.

You mean a slow line backing core, right?

The second line is actually from "God Bless the U.S.A" by Lee Greenwood, who lost the rights to in to the US Government due to back taxes.

How fcuking ironic is this????

hehehe...

"well, at least I know I'm free..."

Uh huh... SURE.

1) This signing has nothing to do with Meriweather.
2) This signing has nothing to do with Harrison.
3) This signing has nothing to do with Sanders.

The patriots like to carry 5-6 safeties. Roles include special team, safety depth, and dime back. These positions were being held by Ventrone and Andrews. Wilson is definitely gone, and Mitchell (the invisible one) will likely not return.

I am fine with Tank Williams as our #4 safety or even #5 safety. I would expect us to pick up yet another. Wilson OUT, Williams IN. This is an upgrade. For me, it's that simple.

1) This signing has nothing to do with Meriweather.
2) This signing has nothing to do with Harrison.
3) This signing has nothing to do with Sanders.

The patriots like to carry 5-6 safeties. Roles include special team, safety depth, and dime back. These positions were being held by Ventrone and Andrews. Wilson is definitely gone, and Mitchell (the invisible one) will likely not return.

I am fine with Tank Williams as our #4 safety or even #5 safety. I would expect us to pick up yet another. Wilson OUT, Williams IN. This is an upgrade. For me, it's that simple.

And certainly an upgrade on the overrated Sanders. He is terrible.
DW Toys

And certainly an upgrade on the overrated Sanders. He is terrible.
DW Toys

Sanders isn't over-rated, chuckle-head. Sanders is an average to above average starting Safety in the NFL. Tank Williams, right now, is a guy hoping to catch on with the team as a special teams player and back-up to Rodney Harrison. You really need to get some more knowledge about football before making idiotic comments like you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes