PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign RB Chris Taylor, release Richardson, place Shun White on Reserve/Military

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradfordPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
According to a "tweet" from Chris Price, the Pats "acquire RB Chris Taylor".

Seems like a JAG for camp. No word on compensation or if he is a FA. Just did a quick search and he did not come up as an active player so I assume a FA...?

Last edited:
Re: Pats acquire RB Chris Taylor

Mike Richardson was released to make room.

I don't know why we would add Taylor though.

Thanks for clarifying Rob.

I agree, not sure why they add a rb unless it is just to lessen the reps on the four guys who are likely to make the squad.

Played for Houston since being picked up as an UDFA in 2006.

. . .

I agree, not sure why they add a rb unless it is just to lessen the reps on the four guys who are likely to make the squad.

So you're cutting BJGE?

QB12

Re: Pats sign RB Chris Taylor, release Richardson, place Shun White on Reserve/Milita

Taylor was with the Texans last year, though he didn't play.. He was waived with in injury settlement last October.

Re: Pats sign RB Chris Taylor, release Richardson, place Shun White on Reserve/Milita

He will be evaluated for a Practice Squad position.
He will take reps from the final four.
He will share garbage playing time in the preseason with BJGE.

I liked Taylor as a potential UDFA pickup.
Player - Houston Texans

I think they're taking a long hard look at a) Maroney's aggressiveness and b) the elder Taylor's health.

Richardson looked like he was making strides. Shows the depth at the position this year.

Now we have two more spots for other players?

I always find it amazing when people make comments on "Maroney's aggressiveness" because it tells me that they either didn't watch the game or don't understand what they are watching..

As for the addition of Chris Taylor, he's a JAG who is nothing special. He's behind BJGE who isn't likely to make the roster right now. Unless there is plethora of injuries.

3 guys out, 1 in guy in, so 2 spots open. I think they likely options are signing Kevin Carter, or maybe removing Brandon Tate from the NFLI or someone from PUP. Maybe even Julius Peppers??????? (JK)

Two years with Houston

6'0"
Indiana (1,762 career rush yards, 4.4 yd average, 12 TD's; 32 receptions, 247 yds, 1 TD)
DOB 11/7/83

42 carries
160 yards
3.8 avg. per carry

3 Receptions
40 yards

1 TD
1 Fumble

I always find it amazing when people make comments on "Maroney's aggressiveness" because it tells me that they either didn't watch the game or don't understand what they are watching..

As for the addition of Chris Taylor, he's a JAG who is nothing special. He's behind BJGE who isn't likely to make the roster right now. Unless there is plethora of injuries.
I know Maroney is your binky DB(I respect that as we all have favorites) but I say in my humble opinion that Maroney is playing his way to the bench and yes I did watch and yes I do know a little bit (maybe not much). He is still dancing and it cannot be corrected it appears unfortunately.
If you watch his moves he is trying to play like a 180lb Warrick Dunn scatback type but with a 223lb body. His style is just not working in this offense. He would be a better back for the Colts, Chargers or some team who might use the stretch. He does not have scatback quickness. I will say this again that I believe he does not have great vision or feel for the hole.
If Kevin Faulk had Maroneys size he would be a three down starter with 1,500 yards. He fills the hole the way a big back does and still runs away from people.
I am of the opinion that a trade of Maroney for picks could be a solution although I do not believe this Taylor kid is the answer to the depth chart.
DW Toys

Richardson looked like he was making strides. Shows the depth at the position this year.

Yes. Cutting him was one of those positive indicators that the new guys and younger players have stepped up.

I know Maroney is your binky DB(I respect that as we all have favorites) but I say in my humble opinion that Maroney is playing his way to the bench and yes I did watch and yes I do know a little bit (maybe not much). He is still dancing and it cannot be corrected it appears unfortunately.

If you had watched, you'd know that he wasn't dancing.

Questions for those who allegedly watched the game:

1.) Which running back converted a 3rd and 1 in the redzone on the Patriots first touchdown drive last week? The "dancer" or the "downhill runnner"?

2.) Which running back got stuffed twice in the second half on consecutive plays on 3rd and 2 and 4th and 1 against backup defenders? The "dancer" or the "downhill runner"?

J D Sal

Look, I'm always willing to bow to people out here who know more than I do about the finer points of an incredibly complex game and who can tell the difference between "dancing" and "evading defensive penetration."

In the couple of clips I saw from the Eagles game, it looked like there were missed blocks and defenders in the backfield before they were supposed to be there and that Maroney was scrambling to make something happen and not "dancing;" but, I'll admit that I've never broken down game tape and I could be corrected.

Bottom line for me: Maroney's pre-injury stats were fine. Like a lot of people, I was hoping he would emerge as an every game, every down back. He hasn't become that, but count me among those who still think this guy could be a productive part (and maybe more) of a strong offense. I have a feeling that the Pats might live to regret a trade at this point. I will, though, grant his critics that this is a very important season for Maroney.

Isn't there a permanent Maroney-Dances-No-He-Doesn't-You-Don't-Know-Anything-About-Football thread somewhere on this board? Not even kidding, I thought I saw a merged thread.

Anyway, buddy of mine is a huge Texans fans, and I remember a few years ago he was pumped about Taylor, said he looked great and was gonna be the feature back. Got hurt I guess and then Steve Slaton arrived and that was that.

So, yeah, probably just camp fodder, but interesting nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes