PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Sign Griff Whalen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best known to us for his involvement in the fake punt in the Colts game.

On October 18, 2015 against the New England Patriots, Indianapolis coach Chuck Pagano called for a fake punt on 4th and 3 late in the third quarter with the Colts trailng 27-21. The play left Whalen snapping the ball to Colt Anderson with no Colts teammates blocking and two Patriots players standing over the ball. The play was stopped for a loss, the Patriots took over on downs and scored a touchdown en route to a 34-27 victory.

Griff Whalen - Wikipedia

I suspect he may be viewed as mostly a kick and punt returner:

Thanks for making such an informative post.

Pretty cool name, though. Almost as cool as Brock Holt.

It is unfortunate for a player to be forever labeled for 1 play no matter how bad it is.

Yeah I agree but I've never put his name to that play. I've put that on Pagano it was his or his coaching staff's design.

But as for being labeled for one play I think the worst one I can remember would be Bill Buckner. The treatment he received after one play was ridiculous. I'm glad he came back to receive a standing ovation.

Looks like TB just needed a new cook.

Well, they'll certainly have a lot to talk about. TB says he eats lean meat, but I'm not sure if he does that year-round.

A short, slow, non explosive player with major fumbling issues and bonehead plays......sigh

It is unfortunate for a player to be forever labeled for 1 play no matter how bad it is.

Like Buckner, Leon Lett, and Chris Webber have shown us, a single play can define so much of a player's career.

He's got a really cool name going for him at least! Griff Whalen!! That just has a sweet ring to it!

Whalen could provide some invaluable insight if the Pats play the Colts in the playoffs.
I wonder if he has any insight or inside knowledge about a certain playoff game in January 2015.........in Foxboro...

Will he wear #17? Not a good omen number for us lately!

The Curse of No. 17: Is Aaron Dobson the next Patriots receiver to fall victim?

Aaron Dobson (2013 Round 2, Pick 59) - Since acquiring the "Dropson" nickname as a rookie, Dobson has been a point of contention when discussing the Patriots' wide receiver picture. He's still young, and can still very much turn it around in New England. However, his six-game inactive streak before Sunday is not a good sign for him.

Greg Salas (Acquired in exchange for draft pick in 2012) - Before Danny Amendola made it cool to criticize former St. Louis Rams receivers, there was Greg Salas. Salas, a fourth-round pick in 2011, has a solid season for the Rams as a rookie for then-offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. After McDaniels' return to New England, the Patriots traded a draft pick for him. It didn't work out. Salas played in one game and didn't catch a pass. He now plays for the New York Jets and has eight catches for 167 yards.

Taylor Price (2010 Round 3, Pick 90) - Price came to New England with some early promise as a high-ceiling wide receiver prospect. He never quite caught on in the offense. Price would go on to catch two three passes for 41 yards in his two seasons in New England. Price would end up catching on with the Jacksonville Jaguars, but only appeared in two games, catching two passes for 39 yards.

Chad Jackson (2006 Round: 2, Pick: 36) - The Godfather of the No. 17 curse. Jackson seemed like a lock for success in New England. Bill Belichick had traded up to grab the Florida product in the second round, giving him a special brand of hype for a second-round pick. He caught 13 passes for 152 yards as a rookie in 2006, playing in 12 games for the Patriots. He would go on to catch one more NFL pass, in 2008 with the Denver Broncos. Jackson remains the poster child for Belichick's continued struggles to acquire a wide receiver via the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back