PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign DL Freeman (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
DL Eddiie Freeman 6-5 315 UAB 3 years exp 28 years old...Plyaed last with the Jags..interesting no release yet..but a player will be cut today...

Re: Pats sign DL Freeman

If he's a NT, expect Sully to go

I guess Bioli is looking for a little depth, eh? ;)

QUESTION: Who is Freeman, and is he at least serviceable?:confused:

I'm sure he's only there because they are missing three DE's right now so they need someone besides Warren and Wright to practice with.

With Green and Hill out..maybe one is more seriously injured than thought..I am sure that is the reason..not day to day,,but more so..

What, someone actually believes that Hill will contribute anytime soon?

Pats726 said:
With Green and Hill out..maybe one is more seriously injured than thought..I am sure that is the reason..not day to day,,but more so..

PatsWickedPissah said:
If he's a NT, expect Sully to go
Can't release Sully until they get the intrevenous out of his arm from having to do 1/4 of his conditioning run.:rofl:

Freeman move

The Patriots won't have to release a player after signing free-agent defensive lineman Eddie Freeman, because Freeman played in NFL Europe. He counts as a roster exemption.
Mike Reiss

Dear Christ! He's from NFL Europe? I'm crossing him off my list of prospects! :rolleyes:

Eddie Freeman Information

Freeman was a 2nd round pick of the Chiefs in 2002.

Great Blue North Draft Report said:
The Chiefs are also still waiting on 2nd round DE Eddie Freeman, whom along with Sims, they see as a key to improving the NFL's worst defense; Freeman struggled early on this season , but did register 4 sacks after moving outside to DE from DT late in the campaign. The jury is still out, however, as to whether the Chiefs may, in fact, have a classic tweener in Freeman, that is, a player not quite not physical enough to play inside on an every-down basis and not quick enough to be a force rushing the passer from the outside.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/profiles/freeman_eddie.htm
NFL.com said:
ANALYSIS
Positives: Has solid upper-body development with a wide chest and the frame that can add at least 15 pounds with no loss of quickness … Combative type with outstanding explosion off the snap … Quick-twitch player with the ability to quickly diagnose the plays … Has a strong anchor vs. the run, using vicious arm swipes to combat constant combination blocks … Uses his hands with aggression to shed and disengage … Active in pursuit, showing a fluid lateral slide … Strong tackler when he stays low in his pads … Intense pass rusher with excellent power behind his initial thrust … Keeps his hands active to prevent blockers from latching on … Will close and deliver the big hit flushing out the quarterback … One-gap type who will chase down plays with vigor.

Negatives: Gets too high in his stance at times, losing balance when trying to anchor … Tends to get over-aggressive at times as he tries to outmuscle rather than using his array of spin moves … Sometimes loses concentration during the game … Lacks the wide, natural base to play in a two-gap system … Will overpursue, losing leverage in the process.
CAREER NOTES
A four-year starter and one of the top-rated defensive linemen in the nation … One of the anchors of UAB's "Steel Shield" defensive front, Freeman is a terrific pass rusher who played every position on the defensive line during his UAB career … Finished with 184 tackles (107 solos), 14½ sacks for minus 134 yards and 36 stops for losses of 187 yards while also causing four fumbles, recovering three others and deflecting 15 passes.

2001 SEASON
Lined up at weak-side defensive tackle … Recorded 55 tackles (32 solos) with three sacks for minus-18 yards and 10 stops for losses of 31 yards … Caused a fumble and deflected three passes … Also had six quarterback pressures.

* Preseason - Sat out spring drills after undergoing left foot surgery (had screw inserted).
* Montana State - Opened the season with five tackles and three stops behind the line of scrimmage.
* Florida State - Had a 6-yard sack and four hits (three solos).
* Southern Mississippi - Added seven tackles (six solos) and a stop for a 2-yard loss.
* Central Florida - Registered a 5-yard sack.
* Cincinnati - Posted six tackles (four solos) and a stop for a 2-yard loss.
* Memphis - Deflected a pair of passes.
* Texas Christian - Caused a fumble on a 7-yard sack and made three tackles.

2000 SEASON
Started every game, shifting from nose guard to weak-side defensive tackle … Recorded 34 tackles (17 solos) with 5½ sacks for minus-49 yards and 10 stops for losses of 59 yards … Also had five pass deflections, 10 quarterback pressures, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

1999 SEASON
Started all year at nose guard, recording 54 tackles (38 solos), with two sacks for minus 27 yards and five stops for losses of 29 yards … Caused and recovered a fumble … Deflected four passes.

1998 SEASON
Played in every game, starting seven contests at nose guard … Finished with 39 tackles (20 solos), four sacks for minus-40 yards and 11 stops for losses of 68 yards … Deflected three passes.

1997 SEASON
Redshirted as a freshman … Moved from tight end to defensive end during spring practice.

AGILITY TESTS
4.91 in the 40-yard dash … 2.84 in the 20-yard dash … 1.73 in the 10-yard dash … 4.81 in the 20-yard shuttle … 7.85 in the three-cone drill … 34.5-inch vertical jump … 9 feet, 3 inches in the broad jump … Bench presses 225 pounds 32 times … 400-pound bench press … 33 ½-inch arm length … 9 1/2-inch hands … Right-handed.
HIGH SCHOOL
Four-year starter and letter-winner at B.C. Rain (Mobile, Ala.) High … Best of the Rest pick by Forrest Davis' Football Recruiting Annual … Mobile Press-Register Super 22 as a senior … Played tight end and defensive end … Caught 21 passes for 279 yards and two touchdowns as a senior … Had 29 tackles on defense … Had 26 receptions for 312 yards and two touchdowns as a junior.
PERSONAL
Mass Communications major … Named to UAB Athletic Director's Academic Honor Roll for the winter 1999 quarter … Son of Francis and Eddie Freeman … Born Jan. 4, 1978 … Resides in Mobile, Ala.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Eddie Freeman Information

I remember studying up on the 2002 draft and really liking this guy a lot. I was disappointed when the Chiefs took him off the board.

This guy could end up being everything we were hoping Sullivan would be AND MORE.

I'm sure that after being banished to NFL Europe, he is back with a vengeance..... :D

Great info...I don't remember much about him..but he MIGHT be a good camper and one that if he can not make it..will push others..A good pickup!!

These are the days I wish I was in sales and you folks were my customers.

Not saying he won't succeed, but it's not like the other 31 teams were battling to sign him. He's a low-cost player who doesn't use a roster spot. I don't want to denigrate him by labeling him camp fodder -- everyone's got a shot -- but his is a long one.

This is a salvage job. Just like Sully is.

The Patriot's are not looking for a starter necessarily. They are looking for a reserve who can give a starter a blow for a few plays without opening up a great hole. Both Sully and Freeman were high draft picks, with ideal size, good quickness, and able to run sub 5.0 forties. In short, they cannot be manhandled for lack of athleticism. The problem for both must be elsewhere, and that CAN respond to tough love coaching.

Sully's getting a dose of that now and Eddie will. Sully was reputed to be lazy, but Eddie was supposed to be a hard working guy who got injured every year. Sort of an hard-luck Adrian Klemm.
I'm sure there is a mental component to their limited success. Sometimes you have to hit a mule with a 2 x 4 just to get his attention. Getting cut can be that attention getter. Sully and Eddie must know their careers hang by a thread.

As of now Hill, Smith, Thomas and Sullivan are competing for three backup spots. I think Freeman has a shot. In any case, we need a Dl for camp with Hill injured.

PatsFan37 said:
These are the days I wish I was in sales and you folks were my customers.
Remember: The customer is always right.

If you gave us any crap we'd just buy from a nicer saleman :D

spacecrime said:
Remember: The customer is always right.

If you gave us any crap we'd just buy from a nicer saleman :D
Exactly, if your going to buy crap you always buy from the nice crap distributor, who wants smelly and arrogant? :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back