PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Sign DL Deaderick

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Ian's Daily Blog - The Patriots have gotten another late round pick under contract, with Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald reporting via Twitter Friday that the Patriots have signed 7th round pick Brandon Deaderick. According to Rapoport the Alabama standout will receive a $40,300 signing bonus, although the terms of the rest of the deal have yet to [...]

Ian's Daily Blog - The Patriots have gotten another late round pick under contract, with Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald reporting via Twitter Friday that the Patriots have signed 7th round pick Brandon Deaderick. According to Rapoport the Alabama standout will receive a $40,300 signing bonus, although the terms of the rest of the deal have yet to [...]

6 down, 6 to go.

Good news. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him make the squad. He's an excellent run-stuffing 2-gap 34 end. He played the position in college, and had pretty good technique coming out. Tough kid. Not much of a pass-rusher, but a great rotational player who should get the chance to be a primary back up/rotational player in a year or two.

Presuming no injuries, I see Deaderick competing with Pryor and Richard for 7th (developmental) DL roster spot, if it exists. He is a 3-4 DE. They are not easy to find.

Good news. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him make the squad. He's an excellent run-stuffing 2-gap 34 end. He played the position in college, and had pretty good technique coming out. Tough kid. Not much of a pass-rusher, but a great rotational player who should get the chance to be a primary back up/rotational player in a year or two.

Presuming no injuries, I see Deaderick competing with Pryor and Richard for 7th (developmental) DL roster spot, if it exists. He is a 3-4 DE. They are not easy to find.

What is Kade Weston's role in a 3-4, then?

I actually think Weston has the greater upside of the two. He didn't play the position in college, though, so he has a steeper learning curve vis-a-vis Deaderick. If he can put it all together, though, he has Seymour size and athleticism. It's his technique, strength, and drive that I question.

Weston is also in competition for the same roster and Practice Squad spots as Richard, Deaderick and Pryor.

Last edited:
$1.83 million for being picked in the 7th round ... spread over 4 years.

So even if you only play those 4 years you've made enough money if invested wisely to live very comfortable. Enough money to buy a restaurant or whatever.

Like hitting 2 million dollar scratch tickets only you have to lift weights and sweat a bit.

:confused::confused::confused:

So even if you only play those 4 years you've made enough money if invested wisely to live very comfortable. Enough money to buy a restaurant or whatever.

Like hitting 2 million dollar scratch tickets only you have to lift weights and sweat a bit.

Well, most 7th rounders are cut before the contract expires, I'd imagine.

Thats only the equivalent of making 100k from 22 to 40. You dont retire on that.

Sadly, something like five years out of the league, a large percentage of players are broke, because they don't understand that you can't have outflow > income on a permanent basis. :(

Also, as someone noted above, most 7th round players don't finish their rookie contracts; Banta-Cain and MFC are the exceptions, not the rules.

Last edited:
Thats only the equivalent of making 100k from 22 to 40. You dont retire on that.

Haha, I'm sorry, but no. The NFL contract is 4 years for 1.8 million, or whatever it actually is. Not 18 years long, four years long. If you make 1.8 million in four years - and invest wisely - you're better off than most people.

I was betting on this guy holding out too. Just kidding! I understand where AJ's coming from of course, but do agree with sbpatfan, a four year contract is just that, four years. Just because one starts out as a football player after college, doesn't mean that that's all he'll do the rest of his life.

Even in nominal terms and after taxes, he'll probably net close to a million dollars IF he finishes out the contract. How long does it take the average guy to make that? If he spends 400k to buy a home, he'll still have 600k in the bank. If that earns say 7% a year, that comes out to 42k in interest income annually. That itself is pretty decent already.

Last edited:
Haha, I'm sorry, but no. The NFL contract is 4 years for 1.8 million, or whatever it actually is. Not 18 years long, four years long. If you make 1.8 million in four years - and invest wisely - you're better off than most people.

Of course you are, but do not forget state and federal taxes which will leave you with roughly just over $1 million, or somewhat less if tax increases go into effect 1 Jan as expected.

Still compare a fringe NFL player 4 years out of college with a million dollars vs. the all too typical college grad with $100K in student loans or far worse if they enter medical school. But for this financial advantage the college and pro athelete will invariably at the very least suffer from arthritis, joint and bone issues in their 40s or 50s.

I don't know. I always thought Deaderick was a steal where the Pats drafted him. I thought he was going to go a few rounds earlier. I think he might turn into a decent role player.

The contract is not gauranteed... he has a uphill battle to make the full term of the contract. And if he does make it, he will likely get a second conract worth much more. A backup DL can make $1MM+ annually easy.

Last edited:
I know that he is a 7th rounder but I have a feeling that he makes the team and contributes. He was a guy that I had targeted from the 5th round on.

I don't know. I always thought Deaderick was a steal where the Pats drafted him. I thought he was going to go a few rounds earlier. I think he might turn into a decent role player.

That's what I am thinking, any player that plays a game, a few days after being shot must be doing something right. The determination he has will make him show to the coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots