PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Sign DL Andre Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a remarkably inconsistant player. The good sack # seasons seem few and far between. If you can get that production out of him than the Patriots pulled a major coup. MOre than likely they have an OK DE who I like better than a Brace or Deadrick

Here's a neat stat:

42 and 11

That's the number of games our newest pass rushing trio played in combined and the number of combined sacks they had.

16 and 11.5

I'll let you all figure out what those related numbers are.

I'm excited about what we've done on the defensive side of the ball through FA. We now have proven veterans who can help guys like Cunningham develop instead of being thrust into a role he isn't familiar with. Can't wait to see what Carter, Haynesworth, Wilfork, and Ellis can do.

Warren and Ellis both had some positional flexibility. But, with Warren a good 20 pounds (listed...) bigger than Ellis, Ellis can play 3-4 DE and 4-3 DE, whereas Warren can play 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT. If the Pats are planning more 4-3, Ellis is probably the better fit.

Actually, acc to Ty, he dropped from 310lbs to around 285lbs ish.

I didn't mean to suggest that veteran FA's can walk into Foxboro and dictate schemes to our head coach. There appears to be growing evidence that the favored base 34 that BB has USUALLY run over the years may be changing due to the difficulty in finding and paying 34 personnel. BB has won rings with 43 defenses as you know. I think it's exciting and would also provide the value and versatility that that he always expounds on.
43 or 34 is almost inconsequential to me, although I believe our personell is better suited to the 34. In either base, we will be using the same personell, and putting one player either up or down, with differing alignment, but the same basic scheme.
What I totally disagree with is the now popular idea that (and many are saying its because Haynesworth wants to play it) we are going to be a 1gap defense after BB has spent his entire career committed to a 2gap philosophy and having a ridiculous amount of success with it.
If you told me Rob Ryan was going to abandon the Ryan family philosophy becasue he has pretty much never been successful as a coordinator with it, I'd say that might be a smart move. If you told me Jon Gruden (who had nothing to do with the defense) took over a team, and hired a DC to totally change the scheme, then it would make sense to me. If you told me the Lions or Bengals scrapped every scheme and started over, I would understand why. But to tell me one of the greatest HC of all time, and one of the most successful defensive minds ever, after 35 years in the NFL decided to change his most basic belief about defense, you gotta give me more than what the players like. A lot more.

Here's a neat stat:

42 and 11

That's the number of games our newest pass rushing trio played in combined and the number of combined sacks they had.

16 and 11.5

I'll let you all figure out what those related numbers are.

Why are we calling Ellis a 'pass rusher'?

There are so many possible interpretations for the reason that BB has brought in 3 veteran DLmen in the last 2 days. Individually they make sense, but when put together, we will certainly not lack for speculation opportunities over the next 3 weeks.

However I find some of the comments about Cunningham having to fear for his job, and needs to prove himself THIS season or ELSE, positively preposterous, idiotic, stupid and any other pejorative adjective you can think of.

This kid never played 3-4 OLB in college. He didn't have a training camp his rookie year. Yet he started early on in the season, played significant snaps throughout the season, and got better as the season went on. THEN after not having the benefit of any organized activities, gets hammered for not looking great in the FIRST week of TC? A week, BTW, where they had only 4-5 sessions in Pads.

Damned it guys. Lets put this in a little historical perspective. Mike Vrabel in his first FOUR years with the Steelers managed a whopping SIX sacks. Good thing none of you guys were passing judgement on HIS early years, or he'd now be at least the DC at OSU, not a rookie LB coach. Tedy Bruschi had 8 sacks HIS first 2 years while he made the adjustment from DL to LB, but during the next FOUR years, AFTER he made the transition to full time LB,(98-01) he managed just SEVEN.

Really if you TRULY think you can judge the kind of player Cunningham is right now based on his body to work to date, THEN you indict yourself as some one who REALLY doesn't have a clue as to what goes into developing and OLB in the NFL. NO clue at ALL.

I don't know how Cunningham's career is going to evolve....good or bad. However I DO think his first year was a positive start. What he eventually ends up being, we won't start to know until at LEAST the end of the 2013 season

Jets are closing to acquiring Osi from the Giants per Wfan in NY.Jets would also recieve Brandon Jacobs in return for a first round pick.

No Matt Roth now.

Roth jerked around the Pats by upping his price during talks so BB signed Carter.

Seems like a remarkably inconsistant player. The good sack # seasons seem few and far between. If you can get that production out of him than the Patriots pulled a major coup. MOre than likely they have an OK DE who I like better than a Brace or Deadrick

lol brace on the end --- I'd like to see that.
but only in preseason......

Jets are closing to acquiring Osi from the Giants per Wfan in NY.Jets would also recieve Brandon Jacobs in return for a first round pick.

That would make sense, they've been allergic to the draft Redskins-style in recent years.

WFAN just had a Giants reporter that said Jets working on the deal with the Giants,still negotiating.

There are so many possible interpretations for the reason that BB has brought in 3 veteran DLmen in the last 2 days. Individually they make sense, but when put together, we will certainly not lack for speculation opportunities over the next 3 weeks.

However I find some of the comments about Cunningham having to fear for his job, and needs to prove himself THIS season or ELSE, positively preposterous, idiotic, stupid and any other pejorative adjective you can think of.

This kid never played 3-4 OLB in college. He didn't have a training camp his rookie year. Yet he started early on in the season, played significant snaps throughout the season, and got better as the season went on. THEN after not having the benefit of any organized activities, gets hammered for not looking great in the FIRST week of TC? A week, BTW, where they had only 4-5 sessions in Pads.

Damned it guys. Lets put this in a little historical perspective. Mike Vrabel in his first FOUR years with the Steelers managed a whopping SIX sacks. Good thing none of you guys were passing judgement on HIS early years, or he'd now be at least the DC at OSU, not a rookie LB coach. Tedy Bruschi had 8 sacks HIS first 2 years while he made the adjustment from DL to LB, but during the next FOUR years, AFTER he made the transition to full time LB,(98-01) he managed just SEVEN.

Really if you TRULY think you can judge the kind of player Cunningham is right now based on his body to work to date, THEN you indict yourself as some one who REALLY doesn't have a clue as to what goes into developing and OLB in the NFL. NO clue at ALL.

I don't know how Cunningham's career is going to evolve....good or bad. However I DO think his first year was a positive start. What he eventually ends up being, we won't start to know until at LEAST the end of the 2013 season

Anyone who watched Cunningham play, and recognized it was also essentially without ever going through an NFL preseason, would see he is a quality football player.
How BB utilizes him may be debatable, but you could not have objectively watched him play and not realize this is a good footballl player.

lol brace on the end --- I'd like to see that.
but only in preseason......
Brace played DE last year.

on a 4 man front?

Brace played DE last year.

From the earlier poster's context, it was about 4-3 end -- the idea of Carter competing directly with Brace. Apparently the steady stream of 3-4 ends, 4-3 ends, and enigmatic Ellis who has played both has fogged some brains.

Last edited:
Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson come to mind. They did not last long. I don't think BB is in the mood to wait around this year. In his mind, I think he feels he has to win now, maybe at the expense of a couple of developmental guys. That's what it feels like to me right now.

Bethel Johnson was with the Pats for more than 3 years.

Chad Jackson and Kevin O'Connell are the only picks from the top 4 rounds who have been cut with less than 3 seasons under their belts.

From the earlier poster's context, it was about 4-3 end -- the idea of Carter competing directly with Brace. Apparently the steady stream of 3-4 ends, 4-3 ends, and enigmatic Ellis who has played both has fogged some brains.
Ah.
Although if we do play a base 43, we will still have 3 DL out there that are 34 NT or DE. We wont go with 2 260lb DEs. Brace still wouldn't see much DE because Wright and Ellis would most likely be the DE rotation with Wilfork, Hworth and Brace the inside rotation, and a 34 OLB type as the other DE.

WFAN just had a Giants reporter that said Jets working on the deal with the Giants,still negotiating.
Leave it to the Jets to spend 10mill a year to convert OU to a position he has never played where they already have decent players while having the worst depth in the NFL, and throwing away a #1 pick to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back