PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Sign DL Andre Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like they took a look at Cunningham as an end during training camp and it may be that they prefer him as a OLB in a 3-4. Carter adds that pass rushing end as a 4-3 and Ellis provides some flexibility in both 3-4 and 4-3 formations. I think we are going to see all sorts of permutations between a 3-4 and 4-3 and BB is simply adding the necessary pieces to make that happen.
I don't know why signing a veteran to compete for a job and/or add depth says anything about the OLB on the team with the best skillset and brightest future.

Camp just got a little more interesting . . . again.

I don't know why signing a veteran to compete for a job and/or add depth says anything about the OLB on the team with the best skillset and brightest future.

I agree. He is the best 3-4 OLB we have. But they have been testing him as an end in training camp. It may be that they may be asking him to continue playing the role he played last year at OLB, rather than switching him over to an end in a 4-3 (which by all accounts he has struggled with so far).

I think if Carter can come close to the player he was in 2009, it was a good pick up. Carter is not a 3-4 player though. Either the Pats are really moving to a four man front or he will be used in sub packages.
The difference between Burgess, Anderson and Carter though is that Carter HAS played 34 OLB. And he wasn't all that bad. Granted having him out there limits us a bit. He would almost always have to be the 4th rusher, which eliminates the effect BB likes of not identifying which OLB will be the 4th but we have done that before, specifically with Willie Mac.
Given the lack of studly OLBs on the roster, I think Carter can easily be part of that rotation.

I know Cunningham battled injuries last year that certainly slowed his development at OLB, but I think the coaching staff was looking for more. As a 4-3 end at Florida, the switch back to a down lineman here seemed like a natural. But according to Bedard, Reiss and Curran, he hasn't looked good in camp. Listen, I hope I'm wrong. All of us want to see this team develop a young, disruptive, pass rusher.

Absolutely. Or, not. It could mean that he doesn't like the lack of progress of some of the youngsters. Or not. It could mean that he's trading Wilfork, for all we know.

Or it could mean that there are some injury problems we're not aware of.

I know Cunningham battled injuries last year that certainly slowed his development at OLB, but I think the coaching staff was looking for more. As a 4-3 end at Florida, the switch back to a down lineman here seemed like a natural. But according to Bedard, Reiss and Curran, he hasn't looked good in camp. Listen, I hope I'm wrong. All of us want to see this team develop a young, disruptive, pass rusher.
The coaching staff decided that he belonged on the field more than any player at his position. Where do you get that the coaching staff was looking for more?
I don't know how you can take camp reports after one week and feel they have an impact on BBs assessment of how he will use the player this season.

I don't know much about him but for those who do, he had 11 sacks 2 years ago but only 2.5 last year, why the huge drop? playing time? injury?

The difference between Burgess, Anderson and Carter though is that Carter HAS played 34 OLB. And he wasn't all that bad. Granted having him out there limits us a bit. He would almost always have to be the 4th rusher, which eliminates the effect BB likes of not identifying which OLB will be the 4th but we have done that before, specifically with Willie Mac.
Given the lack of studly OLBs on the roster, I think Carter can easily be part of that rotation.

The problem is he doesn't want to play the OLB. He was vocal about it in Washington. I don't know if he was assured he wouldn't have to play it here, but I doubt he would have signed here otherwise.

I don't know much about him but for those who do, he had 11 sacks 2 years ago but only 2.5 last year, why the huge drop? playing time? injury?
The Redskins...

My guess would be Shanny switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

Man, these roster projections are getting harder. If I had to guess, Cunningham is the safest, and Moore/Carter/Anderson will fight it out for 2 spots. Competition is for the best, and I'm thinking at least one of them should work out fairly well.

Schematically, it's dizzying trying to figure out where all this is heading. Carter certainly has some proven success playing next to Haynesworth in a 4-3. Then again, we just signed Ellis, a proven 3-4 DE. Maybe all the extra time to himself this off season caused BB to dream up something special.

cuz he had 11 sacks playing 4-3 end and last year they tried to convert him to 3-4 olb, which didn't work out so well.

as others have already speculated, I'd imagine he's another burgess -- 4 man front end rusher in subs, same as anderson, if he makes the team.

The coaching staff decided that he belonged on the field more than any player at his position. Where do you get that the coaching staff was looking for more?
I don't know how you can take camp reports after one week and feel they have an impact on BBs assessment of how he will use the player this season.

Because there were no OTA's, camps or playbooks until 2 weeks ago. The whole evaluation process, unfortunately, has been accelerated dramaticaly. Young players are going to get less time to impress this year.

Is it true that Ron Brace has looked as big as a mansion during camp? He may not make the roster with all this new talent...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back