PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squ

To the experts out there:

Does this flurry of signing/releasing/re-signing with less than a week to go augurs well for the team?

Or, is it a 'normal' happening for most of the other teams as well? :confused:

Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender to practice squad

Time for another round of Let's Pretend...

It's the offseason. The Pats have to rebuild their CB corps, so they sign 4 vet FAs -- Bryant, Webster, Sanders and O'Neal -- and spend a couple of draft picks on the position. Both rookies look good and they choose the 2 best of the 4 vets to round out the corps. That sound ok? Pretty much, I think. Because short of shelling out megabucks for the likes of Asante (who is earning more than our entire defensive backfield), you have to roll the dice that your draft picks will come through. Luckily, CB is one position where the Pats have generally drafted very well indeed.

Re: The Pats have signed Deltha O'Neal per WEEI

Which then explains the Polciask signing... hmmm... BB? A plan? No way! :D

Had the plan been Polciask for Spach, they could/would have cut.......

Spach

Instead, they cut other players. So, either they made a 'whoopsie' when they cut one of the other two, or the moves weren't directly related in the short term. Unless you think BB had some devious reason to hold on to Spach for a few extra hours?

Last edited:
Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squ

Is it strange that we signed DeVree to the PS but let Spach, who made the 53 and played with the 2nd string all preseason go? Or is DeVree holding Spach's spot for 24 hours in an attempt to convince the other 31 that DeVree is better than Spach? This can't be a positive endorsement for Stupar lol [edit: just read the Bills signed Stupar to the PS, I wonder if they might take a look at Spach too?] :D

Last edited:

To the experts out there:

Does this flurry of signing/releasing/re-signing with less than a week to go augurs well for the team?

Or, is it a 'normal' happening for most of the other teams as well? :confused:

I think this might be a bit more of a flurry than usual, but considering we're talking about a 3rd/4th CB, a 9th OL, and a 3rd TE, I doubt it will have a huge ripple effect on the team.

Which then explains the Polciask signing... hmmm... BB? A plan? No way! :D
Hold the applause, it's not all that convoluted. They could have kept Spach, not signed Pociask and had the available roster spot. They signed Pociask because he's versatile with some upside, at least according to disappointed Jets fans, so he beat Spach straight up. But there's no point releasing a player until you need the spot.

Re: Deltha O'Neil to be a Pat?

Sorry, poor forgotten Lewis! After all the posts yesterday saying "they only kept 3 CBs?" I go and do this....
He looked pretty good against the Ravens. i was disappointed when he didn't see action with the ones in game 3.

My guess is that he shined in practice and/or his work ethic and coachability (?) was high. Another reminder that BB makes his decisions based of data to which we have no access.

Or, they didn't anticipate a Deltha O'Neal being cut, and trimmed Spach because the #4 TE was the most expendable to them. See my post above about the Spach/DeVrees thing, but maybe this was what they thought would work best...perhaps Spach ends up on PS tomorrow if he clears...

Spach

Instead, they cut other players. So, either they made a 'whoopsie' when they cut one of the other two, or the moves weren't directly related.

Is it strange that we signed DeVree to the PS but let Spach, who made the 53 and played with the 2nd string all preseason go? Or is DeVree holding Spach's spot for 24 hours in an attempt to convince the other 31 that DeVree is better than Spach? This can't be a positive endorsement for Stupar lol :D
It's simple. The best 53+8 that they can get at any given moment. But that changes every second of the day.

More importantly, this means I was right about the talent level of the tight ends not named Watson or Thomas.
:D

We'll see how this turns out. I don't expect much, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Hobbs and Wheatley starting with Wheatley kicking in to the slot and O'Neal coming off the bench when they go to nickel or dime. He could be a solid pick up.

Spach

Instead, they cut other players. So, either they made a 'whoopsie' when they cut one of the other two, or the moves weren't directly related.

Or, they definitely didn't want Jackson, and the Lynch factor was timing based on salary implications. They bring on a guy they expect to replace Spach, but hold off on his release (which is rendered unnecessary by the aforementioned cuts), until they have someone else to bring in... a whole day later.

It's not like they seemed to have any intention of hanging on to Spach. They also may have been waiting on some kind of progress report for Watson, making sure they would have 3 active TEs.

Last edited:

Is it strange that we signed DeVree to the PS but let Spach, who made the 53 and played with the 2nd string all preseason go? Or is DeVree holding Spach's spot for 24 hours in an attempt to convince the other 31 that DeVree is better than Spach? This can't be a positive endorsement for Stupar lol :D

:confused: Spach isn't PS-eligible.

:confused: Spach isn't PS-eligible.

He isn't? Hmm, then I'm significantly less surprised at how they handled this, it makes a lot more sense.

Or, they didn't anticipate a Deltha O'Neal being cut, and trimmed Spach because the #4 TE was the most expendable to them. See my post above about the Spach/DeVrees thing, but maybe this was what they thought would work best...perhaps Spach ends up on PS tomorrow if he clears...

They had to know they'd need to bring in another corner. Blind men in the heart of the jungle could see that coming.

He isn't? Hmm, then I'm significantly less surprised at how they handled this, it makes a lot more sense.

Nope, he was active for too many games with the Eagles a few years ago.

It looks as though Gutierrez is gone.

It looks as though Gutierrez is gone.

Yep. It looks like the Pats have made up their mind about the QB position.
Lord I hope that Brady stays healthy.

Good news. I think a signing this fast looks good. It's Jordan-esque.

No bad football player (vet) turns over teams that fast. He has more proven in the NFL than the rookies. When they start ripping things up at year's end we'll see what DO's future is like.

He's a solid vet Corner that I have a hunch will up his game to be part of this team. Could very well find new wind and see 3-4 good years before he rides off into the sunset. Hard to say.

Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender to practice squad

Time for another round of Let's Pretend...

It's the offseason. The Pats have to rebuild their CB corps, so they sign 4 vet FAs -- Bryant, Webster, Sanders and O'Neal -- and spend a couple of draft picks on the position. Both rookies look good and they choose the 2 best of the 4 vets to round out the corps. That sound ok? Pretty much, I think. Because short of shelling out megabucks for the likes of Asante (who is earning more than our entire defensive backfield), you have to roll the dice that your draft picks will come through. Luckily, CB is one position where the Pats have generally drafted very well indeed.

Good points, it is not a science, short of landing a bonafide stud it is all about percentages and competition. Their hope is to put a lot of C players together in a competition, as they position battles continue they hope to get the unit to play at a B level.

They had to know they'd need to bring in another corner. Blind men in the heart of the jungle could see that coming.

I disagree, there is currently no reason to think that Wheatley isn't capable of starting Game 1. I will also say there is no solid reason to think he is, but if the FO feels like letting Bryant go is ok, then I have some confidence in the rooks. There is no way they figure Deltha is ready to go game 1 in our D, I have to figure it takes minicaps and training camp to at least get a little comfortable with what they are doing, and that this is really more of a L. Sanders vs. Deltha issue rather than Deltha vs. Wheatley/Wilhite. Of course I've been wrong before and will be wrong again, but I don't think it's as black and white as you're making it out to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes