PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Deltha O'Neil to be a Pat?

I agree, but there a lots of examples better than the Dioon one you mentioned.

We picked Juinior Seau off the scrap hear a couple of years ago. Before that, Rodney Harrison.

Let's not forget Roman Phifer who everyone labelled as dead, Bobby Hamilton who was labelled as a never was, Otis Smith, David Patten, Joe Andruzzi, Keith Traylor, Randy Moss, Christian Fauria, etc. The Pats have salvaged plenty of players off the scrap heap who were labelled as past their prime and done or never was'. O'Neal might not be one of those players, but to say he isn't before he is even signed is a little premature.

If he signs, it's a good signing. Those who are paying attention know that the Bengals need to lose cap space fast. This has nothing to do with O'Neal's performance, as one Bengals beat writer described his 2007 season as "solid on a struggling team."

Last edited:

I agree, if the Patriots ever want to be consistently good, they should model themselves after the Colts.

How many lousy 10 to 16 win seasons will it take until BB and Pioli finally learn how to be consistently good??

:confused::confused:

Let me clarify... I'm not saying the Patriots DON'T draft well. They draft very well overall in fact, especially hitting on first round picks which I think are the most important given the financial hit you sometimes take.

My point was that between the draft and free agency, the draft is more important. You can build a great team through just the draft (Colts). You can build a great team on paper while being lousy on the field via free agency alone (Washington). Or you can do both well, balance them, and be a dynasty (Patriots).

We've won Superbowls relying on (essentially) a rookie and a bunch of castoffs.

People need to stop racing to overanalyze every move they make before they even make it and jump to anxiety driven conclusions either way (best pickup ever/worthless bum).

Deltha was a disappointment for much of his time with the Broncos, to the point that Shanahan tried to convert him to wide receiver after a miserable performance against the Patriots on a Monday night. He just lost his job with the Bengals, a team that's desperate for defensive players. It does no harm to bring him in, and maybe this coaching staff can get him back on his "a" or "b" game, but people who aren't thrilled with the idea have plenty of seasons to point to as reason why.

This offseason, FA cornerbacks were scarce and wildly expensive. The draft, meanwhile, was crawling with CBs. So the Pats took a shot at some lower-priced vets (Bryant, Webster) and some rookies (Wheatley, Wilhite). Early returns suggest they whiffed completely on the vets, but struck solidly on the rookies.

So that's the backdrop -- some good, some bad. But it's done. The question is what do you do now? I've never been a huge Deltha O'Neal fan, but I can hardly complain about the team looking at him to challenge Lewis Sanders for playing time. For those violently opposed, what would you prefer they do? (Turning back the clock and convincing Asante that he really didn't want all those millions is not an option.)

I just heard it on WEEI. I'm sure that a press release will come soon.
No, I'm not happy about it...BUT, I'll give him a chance.

Spach has been released...I thought that would happen when we picked up Pociask.

Last edited:
Re: The Pats have signed Deltha O'Neal per WEEI

OK good!!! so much for the panic at CB.... who goes now?? (written BEFORE teh Spach release was announced..)

Last edited:

2005 Deltha O neil had 10 ints.. I think he would be a wise addition, would feel better about the cut with Bryant..
My problem with O'Neil is that he gambles A LOT. He gives up many TDs to get each of those INTs.

He's a good corner, but only if BB can make him stay home and gamble for the INT only when he has safety help over the top.

This offseason, FA cornerbacks were scarce and wildly expensive. The draft, meanwhile, was crawling with CBs. So the Pats took a shot at some lower-priced vets (Bryant, Webster) and some rookies (Wheatley, Wilhite). Early returns suggest they whiffed completely on the vets
Lewis Sanders? Obviously they did not completely whiff because they didn't cut all of the low-priced vets they signed. That's what we are always saying they should do: sign a bunch of players and if one works out, it's great. To keep 33% of the ones the "took a shot" at is a decent return, IMO.

Last edited:

Punt returns......keep Welker in the slot please.

He is big....but finesse player as well.

5-11
31 years old

Reiss has confirmed this with Spach being released to make roster room. Solid signing!

Last edited:

Lewis Sanders?

Sorry, poor forgotten Lewis! After all the posts yesterday saying "they only kept 3 CBs?" I go and do this....

My problem with O'Neil is that he gambles A LOT. He gives up many TDs to get each of those INTs.

He's a good corner, but only if BB can make him stay home and gamble for the INT only when he has safety help over the top.

Sounds like asante. Good signing. Go Pats:singing:

That seems fast...

Interesting to see how he does with us, and how quickly he can adapt and contribute.

I'll give him until the 3rd game before I really start judging what I'm seeing.

BB just found his next reclamation project. Lets hope he's as suscessful as he has been in the past. I think Delta has more potential then Bryant did, but we'll see how (and when he's used). I doupt he starts, for awhile anyway.

On a side note. Talk about being rescued. How bout being a Bengal one day, and then a Patriot the next. Ocho is probably green with envy.

Last edited:

Reiss has confirmed this with Spach being released to make roster room. Solid signing!

Which then explains the Polciask signing... hmmm... BB? A plan? No way! :D

Re: Pats sign Deltha O'Neal, release Spach, sign OL Bender and DeVree to practice squ

good pickup. hes experienced, a solid player who was pushed to nickel and like most bengals...wasnt going to be paid for a reduced role. they drafted 2 first round CBs who are starting so its not that he just sucked and got demoted. good pickup..finally a playmaking CB

My point was that between the draft and free agency, the draft is more important.
That's like saying your lungs are more important than your heart.

Generally, the draft provides long term playes, and FA supplies immediate need (players who can play right now).

When a team signs a FA, you can bet it was one they considered when he came out of college. Teams keep folders on players tehy scouted and liked.

On a side note. Talk about being rescued. How bout being a Bengal one day, and then a Patriot the next. Ocho is probably green with envy.

LOL! I'm sure that Ocho is a little pissed off. I'd rather have him on my team than Deltha O'Neal. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes