PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign DE Mark Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy is a project at best.:rolleyes:

Where did you read that? Certainly not from his Draft Bio because Anderson was actually strong at the POA coming out of school.

And I am curious where you read about his effort because that was never an issue in college..

Why on earth would you read scouting reports on a guy that hasnt played college ball since 2005?

I am sure BB did his due diligence on this guy....and feels he is the best upside of the lot.... we don't sign players for the hell of it.... just like Vrabel...this is could be a diamond in the rough.......

Last edited:
I don't know why he wore out his welcome with the Bears and Texans. Wade Phillips is installing a one gap 3-4 and didn't keep him,while the Bears are a 4-3 team. I know the Texans were over CAP, but cutting him didn't save much.

FWIW He was given a second round restricted free agent tender but ended up becoming a free agent after having accrued 4 qualifying seasons.

anyway....welcome to the Matrix Mr Anderson!

I was praying nobody would beat me to this :( Oh, well! :p

evil-agent-smith.jpg

Also:

After signing Anderson, the team also announced the release of defensive lineman Marlon Favorite, who was a longshot to make the roster.

anyone wanna discuss the irony?

Anything is better than Channing friggin Crowder.

He's certainly no Vernon Ghoulston but he does what he can.

Heh, really meant that as a joke. I would assume a DE can rush the passer.

Texans' Board opinions on Mark Anderson

Here are some thoughts on Mark Anderson from the Texans' board:

On positives from 2010 year:
(Post #8)
"...Mark Anderson was a great pickup and Earl Mitchell shows a lot of promise in the interior line too."
Trying to list positives from last year! - Houston Texans Message Boards

On if Texans would resign him:
(Post #2)
"He's most likely gone. He was a unrestricted free agent and hasn't signed back.

He was great for us but with youth and Mario being the premiere pass rusher from the OLB spot I doubt we'll see him back. Shame"
Mark Anderson - Houston Texans Message Boards

On being impressed with Anderson:
(All posts)
Post #11:
"I'm very impressed with Anderson so far.. Verdict is still out on Allen."
Jason Allen & Mark Anderson... more time on the field? - Houston Texans Message Boards

This pick-up may exceed expectations.

Whatever happened to Roth or Ellis or Brock..? Oh wait, Brock returned to Seattle, Roth has multiple bidders (or so we are told) and Ellis ????

Re: Texans' Board opinions on Mark Anderson

They're getting Connor Barwin back. They've got no reason to miss Anderson.

That behind said, he had more total pressures (26) than any edge-rusher currently on the Pats roster, and that was purely as a backup.

This is the Derrick Burgess move all over again, trying to get a guy who can play only in sub packages and rush the passer.
Hopefully this one will work out better.

Re: Texans' Board opinions on Mark Anderson

Connor Barwin is terrible.

Last edited:
This is the Derrick Burgess move all over again, trying to get a guy who can play only in sub packages and rush the passer.

It's not the Derrick Burgess move because the Pats didn't give up any picks for him. This reminds me more of Mike Vrabel whom we picked up as an unheralded free agent. Only Vrabel never had double digit sacks before he joined the Pats. He was lightly used in Pittsburgh with totals of 1,5, 2.5, 2.0, and 1.0 sacks before joining New England.

Compare to Anderson who had 12, 5, 1 3.5, and 4 sacks respectively before joining up with the Pats. He's starting his career with us a year later than Vrabel did. He has very similar physical characteristics - 6'4 255 to Vrabel's 6'4 261, but arguably with much higher tested athleticisim - 4.6 40 and 42" vert, 10'7 broad, etc. Anderson is the kind of guy who has high athletic potential but who hasn't fully capitalized on it outside of his rookie season.

Can BB work his magic again with another unheralded free agent signing? I wouldn't bet against him. That's for sure. This is a low risk, high reward pickup. The key to Anderson's success is how quickly he can pick up the Pats defensive schemes. That is the usual stumbling block for most linebackers coming to New Englnad.

Maybe a younger, cheaper Burgess who actually wants to play football?

I had mentioned Anderson a few days ago as a cipher, based on the way he burst into the league then seemed to fade. But I could see him taking over the situational rusher role that TBC projected to. He's quite an effective one-trick pony.

It's not the Derrick Burgess move because the Pats didn't give up any picks for him. This reminds me more of Mike Vrabel whom we picked up as an unheralded free agent. Only Vrabel never had double digit sacks before he joined the Pats. He was lightly used in Pittsburgh with totals of 1,5, 2.5, 2.0, and 1.0 sacks before joining New England.

Compare to Anderson who had 12, 5, 1 3.5, and 4 sacks respectively before joining up with the Pats. He's starting his career with us a year later than Vrabel did. He has very similar physical characteristics - 6'4 255 to Vrabel's 6'4 261, but arguably with much higher tested athleticisim - 4.6 40 and 42" vert, 10'7 broad, etc. Anderson is the kind of guy who has high athletic potential but who hasn't fully capitalized on it outside of his rookie season.

Can BB work his magic again with another unheralded free agent signing? I wouldn't bet against him. That's for sure. This is a low risk, high reward pickup. The key to Anderson's success is how quickly he can pick up the Pats defensive schemes. That is the usual stumbling block for most linebackers coming to New Englnad.

I'm talking about the role he will play.
He certainly wont be playing Vrabels.

Maybe a younger, cheaper Burgess who actually wants to play football?

I had mentioned Anderson a few days ago as a cipher, based on the way he burst into the league then seemed to fade. But I could see him taking over the situational rusher role that TBC projected to. He's quite an effective one-trick pony.

Yeah, I wasn't comparing his play to Burgess, but the same role.

Except for the fact that Anderson is much younger, you're not giving up any picks to get him and it won't cost nearly as much in terms of salary.

So, aside from being completely different situations, it's the same move all over again, I guess.

Last edited:
In Bill I trust, but I'm amazed to learn that anyone on the Texans defense played pretty well last year. Didn't they give up over 300 yards passing to Tim Tebow, of all people?
No doubt their defense was awful last year, but I wouldn't put it on Mark Anderson. It's an 11 man defense. They have an absolutely horrible secondary.

Remember, they also have Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans and no one is saying they're bad players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back