PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign David Patten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is one I will get roasted for, but it makes a lot of sense. How about signing Brian Westbrook as our #3 receiver? He is 5'10" and 202. He is bigger than some of our WRs and we know he has great hands and HEART. He only caught 25 last year because of concussions but he caught 54 and 90 the previous two years with 10 TDs. Because he is not an RB his chances of concussions are lessened. His YAC should be spectacular.

He could also be insurance if Faulk gets nicked. He is a very professional player and loves the sport. He may be one of the best receiving backs of all time and we would have the other already. He's only one year older than Stallworth who some would have loved to see here. They split him wide in Philly so this is not a big change for him.
DW Toys

You must be Westbrook's agent...

Question lies here about Patten after the Galloway fiasco and the fact that other than Moss and Welker the team has been absolutely HORRID upon bringing in vets or draft picks for the #3 WR on down to #5 or #6

I can't blame anyone here who questions this signing since the team has not had a good track record for quite a while in the lower depth chart of WRs with the only exception being of the crazy 2007 offseason but even those guys were only 1 year deals and were not resigned.

Last edited:
Question lies here about Patten after the Galloway fiasco and the fact that other than Moss and Welker the team has been absolutely HORRID upon bringing in vets or draft picks for the #3 WR on down to #5 or #6.

The results have certainly been mixed. Although I'd argue that Gaffney (2006), Stallworth (2007), Patten (2001), Caldwell (2006) gave the team good production for the money.

I can't blame anyone here who questions this signing since the team has not had a good track record for quite a while in the lower depth chart of WRs with the only exception being of the crazy 2007 offseason but even those guys were only 1 year deals and were not resigned.

I think the signing is questioned b/c of his age and potential to help the team. In terms of charater, overall good-guyness, and at least being familiar with the system (changed alot since Weis, but the base offense is there) are all positives. As I said in another thread, worst case Patten is a stable poney for the younger WRs and a shadow-roster JAG if the WR core is a disaster coming out of camp or if Welker can't make it back this year and produce.

Last edited:
Does anyone really believe Patten will make the 2010 team?

Here's Reiss' comment:

NFL combine quick hits, Part I - Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

IMO this signing was made for two reasons.

1 add a veteran WR to the offseason program for the benifit of Tate, Edelman and others

2 Insurance for Welker and Tate
We have two guys in Tate and Welker who because of injury and inexperience we cant depend on. They both could be ready for week one but likely one or both will not be ready. We have two guys who barring TC injuries will be on the roster in Moss and Edelam. That is four spots right there for the position you likely carry 5 maybe a 6th guy like aiken. So we have one spot left...I doubt they think they filled this spot with the Patten signing so we should still se one fairly significant WR brought in be it through the draft or FA (I wouldn't expect a huge splash a la Boldin or something but someone who is a solid 3 boderline 2). So I think Patten.

I have heard people say we need 2 or 3 WR and that this is a huge need for this team. Well I think if this were true and then Welker shocked us and was ready for week 1 and Tate developed into what we hoped when we used a 3 on him than we would look pretty foolish when he have to cut someone who is that talented. Basically we can't keep Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, and 2 or 3 WR also so IMO we need to get one decent WR and maybe one more option like Patten or maybe a late rd draft choice who could be a practice squad guy as insurance.

Two words: Lance Moore. :D

We should sign Marshall and trade for Boldin. Moss dogs it on the field and won't play like he did in his 20's ever again. Welker will prolly never b the same so we should just give up on that too.

This way we're getting 2 proven WR's with the ability to draft more with our three 2nd rounders!

Anyone who was in sync with Brady for that long is fine with me.

Anyone who can show the new guys how things are supposed to be done in Foxboro is fine with me.

The Pats don't need another burner like Moss as badly as they need a possession guy who is going to be where Brady expects him to be. No downside to this move--if nothing else he's a perfect practice squad guy.

Patten doesn't have PQ eligibility b/c of his years of svc.

Got it, thanks.

Hope Patten's able to make the team--I'm the nostalgic type :). But seriously, last year Brady wouldn't throw to any receivers whom he didn't trust, so it makes alot of sense.

I like this move if Patten still has the wheels. He's only 2 years removed from a 700+ yard season in New Orleans. Call me an optimist but Brady is at least as good as that Brees guy. ;) If Patten can contribute as a #4 or #5 WR that's better depth than we had in 2009! Edelman will obviously play the slot until Welker is healthy again. Now we just need to find a decent #2 quality WR to play opposite Moss. Draft one?

Last edited:
Well the 10yr reunion is coming up for SB36 Team. Can't wait for BB to sign Troy Brown to replace Welker being on PUP, Antwain Smith at RB to replace Taylor, Ty Law at CB to replace Bodden, Lawyer Milloy at S, Jermaine Wiggins at TE, Roman Phifer at LB, Willie McGinest and Anthony Pleasant at DE for the pass rush we need

Wohoooo.....and we'll be set for 2010

Shhh...Bill might hear you, and start to get ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back