PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign David Patten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you and I don't vote for Captains on the team,the players of the team do..If Patten makes the team and they feel he is worthy of being a captain..great

I Just would not expect that nor a sudden leader

When you think about it,I really don't feel Moss is a true captain either after his premature statement about him being gone next season with little faith in the F.O.

He wont be a captain. I never said that. But you don't have to be a captain to be team leader.

Wow patten was the 4th option in 2003, never mind 6 years later and a year out of football.
Plus those people saying he could be a leader...the young players on this team probably dont even know who patten is.

He may be 35, but he could still be of use.

1. If he has sure hands and can still run routes, he would be a good #4 option/depth. (I'd take him over Aiken or Stanback).

2. Him, Brady, and Faulk on the field is great leadership.

Even if nothing else happens, this looks decent.

1.Moss
2.Welker
3.Edelman
4. Patten
5. Tate

Yeah, but realistically Welker isn't going to be playing until the middle of the season and even when he does play who knows how effective he'll be.

The WR corps would look something like this on opening day:

1. Moss
2. Edelman
3. Patten
4. Tate

I'm confident that with a full offseason practicing with Brady Edelman is going to do Welkers job VERY well. I still would like someone like Boldin or Bryant to be the teams #2/#3.

Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Reiss brings up a good point in his blog about the veteran leadership that he would bring. We have a lot of youth at the WR position. I guess he could help as a veteran presence. Other than that, I have to wonder how much the guy has left.

He may be 35, but he could still be of use.

1. If he has sure hands and can still run routes, he would be a good #4 option/depth. (I'd take him over Aiken or Stanback).

2. Him, Brady, and Faulk on the field is great leadership.

Even if nothing else happens, this looks decent.

1.Moss
2.Welker
3.Edelman
4. Patten
5. Tate

I would be utterly shocked if the team does not select a WR in the first 3 picks of the draft that they expect as a bonafide starter quality as a #3

The tight end position in this draft is beyond poor so if they want receivers for Tommy to throw to,they will probably look early - the WR roster should substantially change from last season - I do not expect Stanback to be back.

I was at the game in Indy when Patten did the "triple play." Never forget it... I wasn't sold on Brady taking over for Bledsoe, then Brady tossed him the pass that Patten took to the house for a 91-yard score, breaking the old team record set by Eason and somebody.

Brady threw that ball and I said to my friend, "Oh, he's not even gonna catch that wait he might catch it OH MY GOD HE CAUGHT IT HE'S GOING FOR IT HE'S GONNA TAKE IT ALL THE WAY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" :rocker: Man that was an awesome day. I have a picture of all the Colts fans leaving the stadium in droves in the fourth quarter.

As for why they're signing him now, I have no idea.

As others have pointed out, Patten is the ultimate possession receiver — can maintain possession even while unconscious.

I'm waiting for the J.R. Redmond signing any minute now. The guy was bank in the SB against the Rams.

I really think it's a simple thing:

Sam Aiken
Isaiah Stanback
Matt Slater

I think we can expect the Patriots to dig up corpses if they have to, in order to improve that group. Patten will be good for OTAs, if nothing else, as he shows the young players how the Patriots want them to work. I also expect that Branch will eventually be released, and that the Patriots will bring him in for a look, as well, if they can find agreeable financial ground.
I laughed hysterically

But yeah

Like I said even though I "missed the joke" if his hands are fully functional and he can catch a football I see no reason why he can't replace one of those three.

Hell, Vince Wilfork could replace them if he could catch

Yeah, but realistically Welker isn't going to be playing until the middle of the season and even when he does play who knows how effective he'll be.

The WR corps would look something like this on opening day:

1. Moss
2. Edelman
3. Patten
4. Tate

I'm confident that with a full offseason practicing with Brady Edelman is going to do Welkers job VERY well. I still would like someone like Boldin or Bryant to be the teams #2/#3.

You forgot Aiken. I know he's not that great but he has his uses in the passing game. Once he catches it, he's very tough to bring down with his size. Plus he's a very good special teamer, so I'd assume he'll be back next year.

This is great news...I hear Larry Bird is available as well. The Celtics should be all over that.

You forgot Aiken. I know he's not that great but he has his uses in the passing game. Once he catches it, he's very tough to bring down with his size. Plus he's a very good special teamer, so I'd assume he'll be back next year.

The problem is it's hard to get the ball into Aiken's hands...lol.

He'll be back but probably just for ST's. I don't see him being involved in the passing game.

Maybe we can still sign David Givens too...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
No it isn't

He just doesn't know how to catch

Maybe if we knock him out cold while he's lying down next to Patten, some of Patten's catching chi will flow into Aiken's hands — or maybe even his helmet. :rolleyes:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

i remember his great td catch from Drew Bledsoe against PIT

Nearly a carbon copy of the one he made from Brady in the SB only tweeked slightly by the HC to adjust for coverage. Only TD we scored on offense in that superbowl.

The sad thing is how many here can't see any value in bringing that guy in even as a mentor... Speaks volumes about their lack of appreciation for the game or utter ignorance about what goes into building a team with the character to win championships.

It's funny but NO brought him in to mentor their young WR corps for a couple of seasons (2007-2008) and they seem to have benefitted from that experience pretty well...While he was hampered by a nagging groin injury in his second season, he was a favorite target of Drew Brees in 2007, probably because he could count on him, and was second on the team with 54 receptions for almost 800 yards...and caught Brees longest reception of the season.

Nearly a carbon copy of the one he made from Brady in the SB only tweeked slightly by the HC to adjust for coverage. Only TD we scored on offense in that superbowl.

The sad thing is how many here can't see any value in bringing that guy in even as a mentor... Speaks volumes about their lack of appreciation for the game or utter ignorance about what goes into building a team with the character to win championships.

It's funny but NO brought him in to mentor their young WR corps for a couple of seasons (2007-2008) and they seem to have benefitted from that experience pretty well...While he was hampered by a nagging groin injury in his second season, he was a favorite target of Drew Brees in 2007, probably because he could count on him, and was second on the team with 54 receptions for almost 800 yards...and caught Brees longest reception of the season.
"They think they know,but they don't know and never will ! " Jim Mora .

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the J.R. Redmond signing any minute now. The guy was bank in the SB against the Rams.

I remember saying that during the game - "Man, even J.R. Redmond looks good tonight!" :eek:

What is most hilarious in this forum is if a member here last week said "How about seeing if David Patten has anything left" he would have been flamed,ridiculed and laughed out of the forum and would have had 40 one star votes for the thread, but as long as the team signs him,its a cool idea and would be great for morale..... It never changes here.

Last edited:
Thoroughly enjoy having him back, 5’10 quick guy, hopefully he’s not washed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back