PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Chevis Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thing with Spikes being out two days in a row for non-injury related injuries plus this signing now makes me nervous. Why the delay in announcing the other move?

Good point, and now with 4 game suspension--odds for Spikes to be IR candidate odds increase.

Good point, and now with 4 game suspension--odds for Spikes to be IR candidate odds increase.

How do you figure? My understand is he had missed practice recently due to the suspension, not injury.

Spikes will return for the Divisional Round.

Sounds like a zone type player, could be a decent 4th/5th CB for us. Sounds intelligent too which is what BB likes. Limited athletically but as long as he is in the right place and doing his assignment he should be ok. Maybe he'll turn into a Randall Gay type player for us. Or at least we can hope!

Chevis was recruited by Saban but unfortunately only played his freshman year under Nick. Otherwise, he'd be able to make a smoother transition into the Pats D -- similar to Jarvis Green and Gay.

Seems accurate to say he's strictly a short zone DB due to his lack of speed. IIRC his long arms contributed to his impressive passes defensed stats at LSU. Coachable player.

A lot of the scouting reports mentioned he'd be better off at safety. Probably just some corner depth with Wilhite's injury though.

Jackson is an emergency #9 defensive back, a good pickup with Wilhite injured. He could be brought back for 2011 to compete for that #9 (or #10) defensive back roster spot.

Jackson is an emergency #9 defensive back, a good pickup with Wilhite injured. He could be brought back for 2011 to compete for that #9 (or #10) defensive back roster spot.

That's what I figure.

Then again, I had about the same impression when we signed Kyle Arrington. Had no idea he'd become one of our lead STers or a starting cornerback. So you never know. This guy is limited in some ways athletically, but apparently very smart, and those guys have a tendency to do well under BB.

Or he could be cut after this week. :p

Yup, Arrington is a good comparison. Jackson is being given an opportunity. We'll see what he does with it.

That's what I figure.

Then again, I had about the same impression when we signed Kyle Arrington. Had no idea he'd become one of our lead STers or a starting cornerback. So you never know. This guy is limited in some ways athletically, but apparently very smart, and those guys have a tendency to do well under BB.

Or he could be cut after this week. :p

Have to admit, I like this guy on paper.

He seems like the ideal situational corner for the zone coverage we heavily rely on. With reports saying he's intelligent thats all the more reason to think he could be utilized in our young secondary.

I like the idea of having a 6 foot CB who tackles well that we can move around......

.....Or he could be cut next week as convert so eleguently put it lol

Last edited:
Hmmmm...

-inteligent leader

-solid tackler

-good short burst,5 cone

-limited athletic ability,high motor, coachable

Sounds like a BB kinda guy.

Why would he go to IR>? He is suspended.

Why would he go to IR>? He is suspended.

And presumably he's roster exempt (Chevis Jackson). So that's just nutty. Having Spikes in the playoffs would be good news, even if he has o come back a shade down the depth chart.

So does the NFL give you a roster spot exemption for a suspended player? I would think it would be a double punishment if the guy didn't get to play and he also counted against your roster!

So does the NFL give you a roster spot exemption for a suspended player? I would think it would be a double punishment if the guy didn't get to play and he also counted against your roster!

I'm pretty sure he doesn't count against the roster. Always assumed that but can't seem to find any solid info on it through a Google search, just turning up all sorts of fantasy football rules, though I admit I'm not looking that hard.

But we had 53 on the roster + Quinn Ojinnaka, who was suspended for one game, to start the season, so it seems that's the way it is.

Last edited:
This thing with Spikes being out two days in a row for non-injury related injuries plus this signing now makes me nervous. Why the delay in announcing the other move?

Arrington at ILB?:) (Just kidding, Anyone know CPR)

hey all i was wondering if anyone was streaming the game today at chicago i am new to the site.....

On the draft board we've been talking about the team's long-term free safety need. Jackson is supposed to be a smart player with excellent field awareness, quick reactions and solid tackling skills, but questionable speed for a CB. And he's bigger than Meriweather and Eugene Wilson. Safety tryout, anybody?

On the draft board we've been talking about the team's long-term free safety need. Jackson is supposed to be a smart player with excellent field awareness, quick reactions and solid tackling skills, but questionable speed for a CB. And he's bigger than Meriweather and Eugene Wilson. Safety tryout, anybody?

Sounds good to me.

With a healthy Leigh Bodden & maybe another hungry vet CB willing to buy into the Program,
this backfield would be only a reliable, sure-tackling, disciplined FS away from being pretty darn good.

Curiously, I prefer safeties at safety rather than JAG corners. If we need a safety we'll pick one up as we did with McGowan and Page and Lockett and Barrett and Brown.

Sure he'll get a try at safety in camp, but I have no reason to believe that he will win a safety roster spot. Given the competition, it seem most unlikely.

I thought one of the qualifications for our free safety was sideline-to-sideline speed, the one thing these (admittedly sketchy) scouting reports say he doesn't possess? Thus why our FS's tend to be bonafide corners (Eugene Wilson, Artrell Hawkins) or guys with enough recovery speed to be "eligible" for a position switch (Meriweather). Most of Jackson's workout numbers cluster around 4.6, correct?

I think this guy is more a Chad Scott replacement for the red zone, which I believe is what the Falcons primarily used him as. Won't have to run sideline-to-sideline or down the field with a receiver, and appearently he's a great vertical jumper. Seems like the kind of guy you could leave in press man on a tall wideout so your safeties can concentrate on the tight end.

Or maybe three years of NFL conditioning has improved his stride and he ran a 4.47 in his Pats workout so he's going to be our Ed Reed. How many people had Eric Moore down pre-game for what he did in Chicago?

May be here to cover TE's in a sub package not fast enough to cover a outside receiver but enough to keep up with a TE is big good jump could be good in the redzone plus gives wilhite the extra time to recover. Gotta think next year we are looking good at DB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back