PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Chargers FA safety Steve Gregory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they sign Fanane, Gregory, Landry, Lloyd, and then loaded up on defense in the draft...

...that'd be pretty sweet.

I would agree with you on this. I think you might look into Trevor Scott. Was hurt much of 2010 and still recovering on 2011. His best game is OLB at 6'5" and 255lbs. How about a 4.54 40, 32 reps of 225 and a 6.84 3 cone. He might be your sleeper. 12 sacks 2008-2009. Can rush the QB. I thought they go get him two years ago and he got a knee.

DW Toys

That's a given considering there are five months left in the offseason. They'll have opportunities to add more DBs and I'm sure they will.

Gregory's a solid nickel safety. Clear upgrade over Ihedigbo/Brown. The deal is a little rich, but everyone on the market's been getting overpaid.

Gregory is one of the better DBs in a weak market. Either you pay him or you settle for what you have.

Our #2 SAFETY TWO YEARS AGO, SANDERS MADE $3M.
DW Toys

Hey Pats Fans,

Gregory is a smart player and a hard worker but don't confuse this pickup with the last SD safety you guys grabbed (#37) - I would expect though that BB will have a role for him and he'll probably end up being more productive than he was in SD. He's a little too slow and undersized to be a game-changer but I doubt that's the intent.

4.55 for Gregory is not too slow for our Safeties. We have had much slower.
DW Toys

This move adds some depth but does not answer the problem at safety.

That's a lot of money to pay a backup safety

Paid the same money to James Sanders 3 years ago. Let's hope this one turns out better.

Cheap again in FA, then trade back in the draft leaving talent still on the board. I like it!!

Cheap again in FA, then trade back in the draft leaving talent still on the board. I like it!!

Me too. Belichick has shown many times that it works out very well.:cool:

I would agree with you on this. I think you might look into Trevor Scott. Was hurt much of 2010 and still recovering on 2011. His best game is OLB at 6'5" and 255lbs. How about a 4.54 40, 32 reps of 225 and a 6.84 3 cone. He might be your sleeper. 12 sacks 2008-2009. Can rush the QB. I thought they go get him two years ago and he got a knee.

DW Toys

Forgot about Scott... on board with him, too.

Other than "In BB We Trust", is there any evidence this guy is better than any of our safeties last year? $2-3 million/year seems like an awful lot of money for a guy that does not seem to have been a playmaker at any point in his college and pro career. 29 yrs old seems a little late to hope he can turn into something. He's been a JAG his entire career, so I can only assume that's what we'll get from him this season. He doesn't make any plays, but I'm sure he's "coachable, smart, hard working, loves football, insert any other BB adjective here".

Other than "In BB We Trust", is there any evidence this guy is better than any of our safeties last year? $2-3 million/year seems like an awful lot of money for a guy that does not seem to have been a playmaker at any point in his college and pro career. 29 yrs old seems a little late to hope he can turn into something. He's been a JAG his entire career, so I can only assume that's what we'll get from him this season. He doesn't make any plays, but I'm sure he's "coachable, smart, hard working, loves football, insert any other BB adjective here".

Its an upgrade from what we had. Lets see who we draft or sign and see if he will be a starter or not.

After what we saw last season, there's a lot to be said about simple reliability at the safety position. He'll be better there than what we've seen.

It just may be the case of how poor the free safety position is overall in the NFL today.

Me too. Belichick has shown many times that it works out very well.:cool:

Having the best QB/Coach in the NFL makes up for the lack of talent on this team...especially defensively. That approach isnt why we were in the SB again.

Our problem at safety is our need for both a starter and for depth. So, we are indeed answering part of the problem by signing Gregory.

starters: Chung, open
backups: Barrett (from IR), open
ST: Brown

This move adds some depth but does not answer the problem at safety.

from his wiki page

"Early years

Gregory lived in Staten Island, New York most of his youth. He was a Jets fan growing up. He attended St. Margaret Mary Parochial Elementary school grades 6-8 then attended Monsignor Farrell High School before transferring to Curtis High School.
"

tsk tsk tsk

It's seems that's how they do things around here. It's oh so very frustrating.

I would not underestimate players who are "coachable, smart, hard working, loves football." That's about 90% of the game.

Steve Gregory started a number of games last year a little out of position at SS. There also isn't exactly a glut of outstanding safeties in the NFL. As another poster astutely noticed, Patricia probably knows him from his days at Syracuse. I suspect MP and BB think he'd make a pretty good FS/SS in a quarters defense because he's versatile and gets good reads and that's one reason they are committing $3m to him, but that's a guess on my part. I really like the move (which means he'll probably get cut in training camp).

I am happy that the Patriots signed a safety with starting experience, FS experience at that....a huge upgrade over what we had before...which was a ST and a failed corner playing safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes