PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign CB Lewis Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beleive me I know that, Id honestly be excited if they were to sign a player like olb Haggans and draft the top rated corner in the draft, I wouldnt care if they didnt make a single move after that cause Id feel more then comfortable with the defense being set.

Well, no offense, but I think most of the rest of us are thankful that Belichick and Pioli don't make decisions based on what would most make slash83 from the internet feel comfortable.

These are cheap guys being brought in to compete for spots in camp, as has been mentioned many times. They are not precluding the team from making other moves if they have to. It does nothing but help the team.

Well, no offense, but I think most of the rest of us are thankful that Belichick and Pioli don't make decisions based on what would most make slash83 from the internet feel comfortable.

These are cheap guys being brought in to compete for spots in camp, as has been mentioned many times. They are not precluding the team from making other moves if they have to. It does nothing but help the team.

Yup im happy there the ones making the decision too, dont mean I cant have an opinion on an "internet forum" with what I think would help.

Ellis Hobbs had a poor season, IMO. He played soft, he gave up constant receptions, and big ones, over and over and over. Yes, he tackles well. Yes, he's a helluva KR. And yes, he has potential. But he played badly. Hope he improves. I think he will.

I honestly don't understand how you consider your first comment constructive in any way, so I'm not sure what you mean by "help". Maybe you're beginning to see where I'm coming from.

Ellis Hobbs had a poor season, IMO. He played soft, he gave up constant receptions, and big ones, over and over and over. Yes, he tackles well. Yes, he's a helluva KR. And yes, he has potential. But he played badly. Hope he improves. I think he will.

hobbs tackles well? lol he was the worst tackler on our team.

Out of all of the positions of defense, BB values DB's the least (meaning he shuffles through players at those positions instead of sticking with a corps of guys like how he does at DL and LB). In SB 25, while the Giants' front seven was to be feared, the unheralded members of the secondary held Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, and James Lofton to a sub-par game for their standards. We won a SB with a rookie UDRFA covering the league's best WR. So I trust that one of these uninspiring DB signings will end up playing a crucial role to the team's success. This is a better business than giving Asante Samuel a $54M contract.

Out of all of the positions of defense, BB values DB's the least (meaning he shuffles through players at those positions instead of sticking with a corps of guys like how he does at DL and LB). In SB 25, while the Giants' front seven was to be feared, the unheralded members of the secondary held Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, and James Lofton to a sub-par game for their standards. We won a SB with a rookie UDRFA covering the league's best WR. So I trust that one of these uninspiring DB signings will end up playing a crucial role to the team's success. This is a better business than giving Asante Samuel a $54M contract.
We all talk about how BB doesn't draft LBs high, but what about DBs, and particularly CBs?

I think the highest BB has drafted a CB is arguably the fourth round (Samuel). I say arguably because Wilson was drafted in the first round but though he played corner is college, he didn' play CB for us (like did we draft a OG or LT when we got Mankins?)

We all talk about how BB doesn't draft LBs high, but what about DBs, and particularly CBs?

I think the highest BB has drafted a CB is arguably the fourth round (Samuel). I say arguably because Wilson was drafted in the first round but though he played corner is college, he didn' play CB for us (like did we draft a OG or LT when we got Mankins?)

we could've said same with RB before we took Maroney. didnt happen till 2 years ago so stop guessing his reputation. he takes whats best for us

BB learned his lesson when he drafted Notre Dame CB Brock Williams in the third round of the 2001 Draft. Off of the top of my head the only CB's I can think of that were drafted are Williams, Samuel, Hobbs, Christian Morton (in 2002 or 2003 I believe), and Mike Richardson. Is there anybody else?

Re: CB Lewis Sanders signed.

Who says he is even being thought about as a corner?

Its being banded about on other forums that Merriweather is going to play corner this year. And noises coming out of PFW

Cant see him moving Harrison\Sanders, can you? And now Johnson has come in... It makes sense.

Re: CB Lewis Sanders signed.

Thank you, Hobbs is a good CB and I also have a hard time understanding why some posters seemingly dislike him.
I LOVE him. But he is the kind of player that slays me...fiery, tough, and full of buoyant personality. I also think he has a lot of talent and smarts.
But neither he nor A$ante were tackling very well last year, IMO. It was frustrating to watch.
Maybe the Sanders signing is a reflection of Meriweather being the starter at SAFETY and Sanders slides to dime to replace him, or nickel to replace Blue?

Let's try that again. Wilson was drafted in the 2nd round. And Hobbs in the
3rd. Merriweather in the 1st. James Sanders in the 4th. Williams in the 3rd. Then you have the late round guys like Richardson and Morton. I'd say that BB not only believes in drafting DBs high, but he drafts a DB every year. I don't think he devalues the position at all.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showpost.php?p=826525&postcount=69

Travis Fisher and Sammy Davis have since re-signed with Detroit and Tampa, respectively.

Some younger names, who were "street" FAs by the end of last season, for your consideration:
Kevin Garrett
DeMario Minter
Antonio Perkins
Will Poole
Derrick Strait
Alan Zemaitis
(Are there any other names from the drafts of '03 - '06, who were well-regarded during their draft year, who are available today?)

The signings of both Webster and Sanders probably (but perhaps not definitely) means that Hank the Man Poteat will not be walking through our door. How many CBs from the draft class of 2000 is too many? I would have signed Sanders and Poteat, instead of Sanders and Webster.

The FO has the right idea, though: throw lots of shyte - esp. shyte with size - at the wall, and let's see what sticks around after TC.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showpost.php?p=826525&postcount=69

Travis Fisher and Sammy Davis have since re-signed with Detroit and Tampa, respectively.

Some younger names, who were "street" FAs by the end of last season, for your consideration:
Kevin Garrett
DeMario Minter
Antonio Perkins
Will Poole
Derrick Strait
Alan Zemaitis
(Are there any other names from the drafts of '03 - '06, who were well-regarded during their draft year, who are available today?)

The signings of both Webster and Sanders probably (but perhaps not definitely) means that Hank the Man Poteat will not be walking through our door. How many CBs from the draft class of 2000 is too many? I would have signed Sanders and Poteat, instead of Sanders and Webster.

The FO has the right idea, though: throw lots of shyte - esp. shyte with size - at the wall, and let's see what sticks around after TC.

Funny I liked Webster a little more than Sanders and thought it was a good Idea to bring Poteat back.

Granted the only reason I liked Webster better was cause I had actually heard of him and remembered a pretty good rookie year and Sanders was one of those rare 8 year vets that I couldn't remember a thing about. Usually I at least have heard of the guy but not him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes