PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Cam Henderson to PS; Workout Sione Fua, George Uko, Yawin Smallwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hilarious how many people kill Mayo. They must be the douche and squeaky 2-6 crowd because those guys kill Mayo all the time. Ya he doesn't have the sacks that Willis has in his career but since 2011

Willis: 5.5 sacks- 44 Games
Mayo: 6.5 sacks- 37 games

And for the people killing him for Sunday, they do realize that was his first NFL game action since Mid-October of last year, right?
You know me I will call out an underperforming player with the best of them but Mayo is a great player and a great leader for the defense so I do not understand why he is so often disparaged by posters on here. I mean if he did what he did on Sunday every week he would finish with 192 tackles and 16 sacks this year.

Bill seems like he knows he needs a couple players who aren't terrible. Vellano isn't even good enough for practice squad. The DTs are so bad a player who should be playing OLB in the 3-4 is playing DE which is really a DT. And Bill knows Hightower is a liability at any LB position due to his cover skills and he isn't explosive enough to play rush olb. A good edge setter maybe but it still leaves the team needing a starting LB next to Mayo who can cover once Collins starts rushing at olb. Even in the 4-3 Collins Mayo and they need another LB decent in coverage that can still play the run. I doubt they will find one out there looking for work. But if they go back to 4-3 Hightower can play mlb where he can play the run and try to minimize covering. While Zach Moore and Buchanan and Ninky can compete for DE opposite Chandler Jones. In a 3-4 Buchanan may become a good rush olb who can cover at times. He is fluid and did good covering in college. If buchanan can pressure the QB then Collins could play ilb with mayo. Chris Jones return will help as he is solid at DE in current 3-4 Wilfork is no longer an anchor but he is still stout. Chris Jones Wilfork and Quarles should be a stout enough line to allow LBs to make plays. If Buchanan who has bulked up to 265 lbs he said can step up as 10+ sack player and pressure the QB opposite Chandler and Chris Jones and Quarles prove good DEs the defense could start to dominate Chris Jones and Quarles were double digit sack defenders in college and also stout, Why Not Start them beside Wilfork

Bill seems like he knows he needs a couple players who aren't terrible. Vellano isn't even good enough for practice squad. The DTs are so bad a player who should be playing OLB in the 3-4 is playing DE which is really a DT. And Bill knows Hightower is a liability at any LB position due to his cover skills and he isn't explosive enough to play rush olb. A good edge setter maybe but it still leaves the team needing a starting LB next to Mayo who can cover once Collins starts rushing at olb. Even in the 4-3 Collins Mayo and they need another LB decent in coverage that can still play the run. I doubt they will find one out there looking for work. But if they go back to 4-3 Hightower can play mlb where he can play the run and try to minimize covering. While Zach Moore and Buchanan and Ninky can compete for DE opposite Chandler Jones. In a 3-4 Buchanan may become a good rush olb who can cover at times. He is fluid and did good covering in college. If buchanan can pressure the QB then Collins could play ilb with mayo. Chris Jones return will help as he is solid at DE in current 3-4 Wilfork is no longer an anchor but he is still stout. Chris Jones Wilfork and Quarles should be a stout enough line to allow LBs to make plays. If Buchanan who has bulked up to 265 lbs he said can step up as 10+ sack player and pressure the QB opposite Chandler and Chris Jones and Quarles prove good DEs the defense could start to dominate Chris Jones and Quarles were double digit sack defenders in college and also stout, Why Not Start them beside Wilfork
Bill seems to know it, but who put the team together? Bill did.....it's taken all camp, preseason, and one game for Coach Charisma to realize his front isn't up to snuff?

Mayo played quite possibly the worst game of his career on Sunday. Other than that, he's awesome. Looking forward to him knocking off that rust.

But please, let's not compare him to Patrick Willis.

I think Mayo is a good player for us. He is a pro, and a leader on this defense.

That being said, I don't think he had his best game Sunday (sample size = 1 game). When your defense gives up ~200 yards on the ground your front 7 as a whole did not play well, and this includes Mayo one of two inside LBs.

To say he had 12 whatever it was tackles and therefore played a good game is a bit misleading. Those are just stats and stats alone don't tell the whole story. The more interesting question is how did he perform when he played? Did he execute his assignments? For example... If his job on X play is to handle the B gap in the run game, did he do it on that play?

After watching the game again... he was not stout at the point of attack as a 3-4 ILB, often getting blown off the ball. A lot of his tackles came while tackling his guy from behind - not a good sign.

Mayo underwhelmed me last Sunday.

It was his first live action since October of last year. He didn't play in the preseason. He is still shaking off the rust.

If Brady goes down then who is familiar with the system to backup JG. This looks like the year not to be unprepared.
We do not need another QB, why would we take any reps from Garopollo in practice, he should be out there as much as possible.

If Brady goes down then who is familiar with the system to backup JG. This looks like the year not to be unprepared.
Tebow time baby!!

That's when I start following cricket for the rest of 2014 however.

Tebow time baby!!

That's when I start following cricket for the rest of 2014 however.
Outside of 20/20, you don't appreciate how boring Cricket is do you?

I am surprised to read this, I thought Mayo was one of the better defenders on the field on Sunday – 12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 fumble recovery.

I agree with you. I actually thought that both Mayo and Collins looked fairly impressive in some different aspects--especially when you consider that it was Mayo's first game back in a long while.

Outside of 20/20, you don't appreciate how boring Cricket is do you?

Yeah, it's hard to joke about cricket when we have some people who actually know what the hell it is :)

Australia has gone politically correct on everyone this year.

It's good to see that Chris Lilley is finally having some positive influence on foreign relations!

It's good to see that Chris Lilley is finally having some positive influence on foreign relations!

Even if the latest "Jonah" show kind of sucked....

Even if the latest "Jonah" show kind of sucked....
He was funnier earlier in his career. I guess there comes a point where all you have is rehashed material and the fame of past exploits.

I am surprised to read this, I thought Mayo was one of the better defenders on the field on Sunday – 12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 fumble recovery.

Stats can be deceiving. Almost all of those tackles came 4-8 yards from the line of scrimmage. He was also really bad in coverage on their RB and TEs. Fumble recoveries are a matter of fortune, forced fumbles are a more telling stat.

The sack was nice though.

He was funnier earlier in his career. I guess there comes a point where all you have is rehashed material and the fame of past exploits.

I'm not sure if you saw the latest one with Jonah from Tonga, but the character itself is just a little boring, I think.

I will patiently wait for his next project though, as I think he's a pretty funny guy. Just the sheer goofiness alone is worth watching.

Stats can be deceiving. Almost all of those tackles came 4-8 yards from the line of scrimmage. He was also really bad in coverage on their RB and TEs. Fumble recoveries are a matter of fortune, forced fumbles are a more telling stat.

The sack was nice though.

I think this is a perfect example of someone who can have a different opinion watching the exact same thing, yet having a bit of a different grading system or criteria that they are using--and yet no one is really necessarily "right" or "wrong."

Personally, I felt that Jerod Mayo had a pretty nice game all things considered (first action in almost a year), and that he was one of the few bright spots on the defense last Sunday. Much like our opinions of Revis' play on Sunday, we watched the same thing and came away with some different thoughts. I'm guessing that's fairly common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes