PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign C Al Johnson, re-sign Tank Williams, Ventrone, and Britt

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as Johnson goes..... YAWN.... not real excited about a guy who spent at least 30% of his 7 seasons on the injury report. I am not even sure that all these GS listed are actually STARTED as THE CENTER. But nice camp fodder I guess. If he turns into something that is all good; but not expecting much.

YEAR Team G GS
2008 Miami Dolphins 4 0
2007 Arizona Cardinals 14 14
2006 Dallas Cowboys 16 0
2005 Dallas Cowboys 16 16
2004 Dallas Cowboys 16 15
2003 Dallas Cowboys 0 0

TOTAL 66 45

IMO Don Johnson from Miami Vice fame has a better chance than Al Johnson in making the team

Al Johnson is better than Yates, Connelly, or Wendell. It remains to be seen if he's better than Hochstein, though I'd say he is.

Hey, is Kalimba Edwards still out there?

Re: Pats Announce Some More Signings...

Miami went looking for Center help in Free Agency, yet they let Al Johnson walk? I'll withhold final judgment.

As for depth: Hochstein fell behind Yates on the depth chart and Billy really struggled filling in for Neal. Connelly and Wendell round out the interior OL.

Tackle: LeVoir was claimed off waivers after being cut down by St. Louis just before last season started. He came in and immediately beat Britt out for #3 OT. Britt has been the #3 and O'Callaghan the #4 prior to LeVoir's arrival. LeVoir subbed in for Kaczur and Light at different times and did a good job.

After the way the OL struggled out of the gate last season without Neal, especially the threesome inside, the depth chart looks very thin. Hochstein is still a strong Center, but I don't think he's as dependable for Guard. Yates struggled, I'd like to think he had a nagging injury that held him back, but until he gets back to his 2007 form, I'm not counting on him. Connelly is a younger version of Hochstein and may beat him out this season. Wendell is still Practice Squad eligible. LeVoir should be good for #3 again. Britt and O'Callaghan don't fill me with a lot of confidence.

I would like to see NE draft a couple OL in this draft. It's a deep one for C and T.

Very good breakdown of the backup OL situation, Mr. Box.

I too wonder why the doofins didn't make a better - or any - effort to re-sign AJ. My initial conclusion is that Sparano, his OLC at Dallas, doesn't think that he can move his feet well enough any longer. We'll see.

The rest of the backups are a collection of flotsam & jetsam: nothing horrible, but nothing dependable, either.

Hochstein, Yates, Connelly & Wendell would all struggle if forced to start at C/G. Al Johnson might be OK if he can stay healthy. Connelly has the most size & upside of the 4, but...? We really need to find Neal's replacement, real soon.

LeVoir was lightly-regarded out of college for a reason. Is he a better swing T than Britt & OC? Probably, but that's more an indictment of Britt & OC than it is a recommendation of LeVoir. I never understood why OC was drafted in the first place; he sticks out physically from the rest of the OLmen like a sore thumb, and doesn't fit what Bill & Scar seem to want in their OLmen. Britt was generally higher-regarded than Kaczur before the '05 draft, but a broken leg during Senior Bowl week caused him to drop to the 5th round. I thought he performed quite well when he started at RT vs. the bungles in '06, but he hasn't had that same opportunity, or performance, since then. I was mildly surprised that he was even re-signed.

As for the other re-signings:
I thought that Wright would sign with someone else, but the Pats must've over-paid to keep him, or the other teams must not have thought he was that good, anyway.

Glad to see Bubba return; I would still like to see him play a position - any position - during TC to see if we can take advantage of his athleticism, smarts & hustle.

Surprised to see Tank return. It's really unfortunate that he has suffered these 3 knee injuries. I remember begging the FO to sign him as an UFA following the '05 season as insurance for Rodney, who had been injured in Pittsburgh during that season. Now, however, I fear that he has likely lost whatever lateral agility he had possesed even a year ago. I would love to see the FO draft someone like Chip Vaughn to replace Tank & Rodney as a hard-hitting, physically-imposing tackling machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back