PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATS sign another Tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatsChick87 said:
At some point doesn't the word overkill come to mind?
A signing like this almost certainly has an upside for this year of the Practice Squad. We need to keep bodies with any potential moving through the organization.

They have the roster spots so they might as well fill 'em. Plus you never know when you will find the next Andruzzi, Ashworth, or Neal.

maverick4 said:
Can he play tight end? =D
If so, he can take Ashworth's place. Obviously BB having Ashworth catch a TD pass last year sent a message that he didn't trust Graham, Watson, Vrabel or Fauria in the red zone. PROOF: Fauria is already gone. Look for the rest of the cement hands group to follow. I predict that within ten years not a single one of them will be left on the team!!!! You heard it here first :)

re

spacecrime said:
If so, he can take Ashworth's place. Obviously BB having Ashworth catch a TD pass last year sent a message that he didn't trust Graham, Watson, Vrabel or Fauria in the red zone. PROOF: Fauria is already gone. Look for the rest of the cement hands group to follow. I predict that within ten years not a single one of them will be left on the team!!!! You heard it here first :)

Hahaha! .

For those of us too lazy to click the link, we have signed John Doty, who played in NFL Europe this year.

And I believe he's an NFLE exemption...right??? Which would make 9..O believe... (Wonder of Box has any tapes of games..to see him???) ONE thing is quite certain..they Pats are looking for BIG guys on the line..all the new drafted and signed UDFAs are big monsters..Maybe making a wall in front of Brady

According to Cologne's depth chart, he was the starting LT. I often fast forwarded through the offensive series to watch Ventrone play on defense so he doesn't stand out in my memory. I like the signing as far as another player with LT experience coming into camp to compete, O'Callahagn and Hand are both RTs or Gs. With Mankins pretty much locked in at LG, that leaves Light, Kaczur, and Britt competing for LT, too thin a line-up for my blood.

Box_O_Rocks said:
According to Cologne's depth chart, he was the starting LT. I often fast forwarded through the offensive series to watch Ventrone play on defense so he doesn't stand out in my memory. I like the signing as far as another player with LT experience coming into camp to compete, O'Callahagn and Hand are both RTs or Gs. With Mankins pretty much locked in at LG, that leaves Light, Kaczur, and Britt competing for LT, too thin a line-up for my blood.
Stevenson is in the interior..heard they were using him at C...and Barthelmes?? a RT as well?? Bring in the monsters to protect TB..

I'll say it since nobobdy else has yet: "seems like a good fit" "or I like this pick-up". ;)

Willie55 said:
I'll say it since nobobdy else has yet: "seems like a good fit" "or I like this pick-up". ;)

No one has said "camp fodder" either.

Pats726 said:
Stevenson is in the interior..heard they were using him at C...and Barthelmes?? a RT as well?? Bring in the monsters to protect TB..
A little digging provides the story that in the 2003 www.collegefootballnews.com preview JR Jon Doty was projected to split time at RT with another player and a Soph stud had LT sewed up. Fast forward to the 2004 preview and we see the Soph is now a JR who stood out at RT and SR Jon Doty is returning as one of the bright lights of the OL at LT. You just have to like it when the kid goes into training camp and wins the LT job.

This from the 2004 preview:
Tackle Jon Doty, Sr. - An honorable mention All-Big XII choice, the 6-8, 300-pound Doty is a steady tackle with tremendous athleticism and good all-around skills.
-----
The Skinny: The line did a great job last year paving the way for 3,817 yards of rushing offense while only allowing 19 sacks. There needs to be more developed depth, but the starting five will be strong thanks to the return of tackle Jon Doty...
I'm all for more competition with LT experience coming into camp, that was an area I had issues with since we had plenty of candidates for G and RT. The kid may be camp fodder, but you have to think in terms of Ashworth and Gorin rising from the recycle bin to appreciate that he's still scrapping through NFLE to make another Practice Squad. In Dante We Expect Miracles.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2004/sub/pics/large/kansasstate_jon_doty.jpg

http://www.nfleurope.com/players/playerpage/1138

Began career as a tight end.
The bad news is the Giants cut him after the NFLE season.

http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/COL/9309825

Highly recruited out of high school, Doty accepted a scholarship to Kansas State as a tight end, with the understanding that he might be converted into a tackle down the road. At 6-7 and 300 pounds, he was starting at left tackle by his junior year, and went on to earn honorable mention All-Big 12 accolades before being signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the Carolina Panthers. Released by Carolina, Doty was later signed by the New York Giants and assigned to NFL Europe.
-----
He caught a lucky break when Tim Grunhard, a former Kansas City Chief Pro Bowler and 12-year NFL veteran became the Centurions offensive line coach.

“It’s the best situation anybody could have in this league,†said Doty. “The knowledge that he brings from being productive in the NFL for that long is enough in itself. When he talks, I listen.†“I like Jon’s balance,†Grunhard offered. “He has good feet, and I think he’s learning to use those long arms of his. As a left tackle in the NFL you have to be able to protect the back side of the QB, and Jon can do that. I’m happy with how he is progressing.â€

Grunhard said he is helping Doty learn to be a better run blocker, which can be accomplished both by hitting the weight room hard and studying a great deal of tape. Learning hand placement, angles, and opponent’s tendencies is essential.

“He’s showing us that if you can get any edge on your opponent, it’s going to be a plus,†said Doty. “You might be looking at something for an hour that seems obvious to you, and coach Grunhard will walk in and notice something that you had not seen at all.â€

http://www.nj.com/sportsflash/jerse...rts-7/1149234860281260.xml&storylist=njsports
This article reports the Giants signed an NFLE Guard when they waived Doty. Guess they need interior help more. The battle for Practice Squad will be interesting again this year.

Thanks Box ... good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back