PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign 4th rounder: Rich Orhnberger

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think he could play just as good in one of those guys positions real soon...

i think he could play just as good in one of those guys positions real soon...

Neal's one of the best RG's in the league, and Koppen is a better than average starter. He'd have to go some to get near them.

haha i swear...our line is overated brother...koppen-decent neal-decent...neal is definitely not in the top 10 guards in the league

Last edited:
haha i swear...our line is overated brother...koppen-decent neal-decent...neal is definitely not in the top 10 guards in the league

Could you name the 10 RGs who are better than Neal?

Also, if you watched the Pats last year, the whole line improved when Neal got back. Koppen stopped over-compensating for Hochstein and Yates and focused on his own stuff.. Because he knew that Neal could handle it.

Could you name the 10 RGs who are better than Neal?

Also, if you watched the Pats last year, the whole line improved when Neal got back. Koppen stopped over-compensating for Hochstein and Yates and focused on his own stuff.. Because he knew that Neal could handle it.

That's an understatement.

Neal is injury prone, and that's a problem.

When he plays, he can be one of the best guards in the NFL. He is strong, agile, versatile. Great on screens. Great getting to the second level. Very good at holding the pocket.

Like much of the OL, he had an awful day against the Giants in the Super Bowl. But, as DaBruinz notes, the line was night-and-day better after Neal returned last season. In the first four or five games, Cassel had a defender in his face on every throw. With Neal, the pocket suddenly was secure, and Cassel had a second to view the field and step into a throw.

sure neal is better than yates and hochstein{thats says nothing) but right now he is not a top ten guard in the league bra...kaczur isnt a top 25 tackle either...hoping our drafts picks can contribute immediately if improvements havent been made

Last edited:
sure neal is better than yates and hochstein{thats says nothing) but right now he is not a top ten guard in the league bra...kaczur isnt a top 25 tackle either...hoping our drafts picks can contribute immediately if improvements havent been made

While you are busy trying to name the 10 RG's better than Neal, please name the 25 tackles that are better than Kaczur.

ten guards better than neal- vince manuwai, brian waters, chris keomoto, davin joseph, faneca, shawn andrews, t.j. lang, e. steinbach, chris dielman, robert garza, snee, r. lilja, brandon moore, steve hutchison, joe berger, robert gallery, tony moll etc....

25 tackles better than kaczur- jake long, walter jones, tony ugoh, bryant mckinney, j gaither, jeff otah, orlando pace, joe thomas, matt light, michael roos, gaither, mcneil-chargers, jammal brown, ryan clady, jason peters, j.gross, flozell adams, max starks, diehl, clifton-packers, winston , vernon carey, sammy baker, brandon albert, khalif barnes, marc colombo, dabrickashaw ferguson...

there u go, although i give our whole line credit in the running game for the most part

Last edited:
Right tackle, not left tackle.

You just typed out a list of left tackles in the NFL and said they are all better than Kaczur. I'm not a kaczur fan, but get real. You could make a case that almost all left tackles are better than right tackles. If they aren't, something is wrong.

Give me 25 right tackles that are better than Kaczur. Better yet, just give up that Orhnberger is going to start week 1.

25 tackles better than kaczur- jake long, walter jones, tony ugoh, bryant mckinney, j gaither, orlando pace, joe thomas, matt light, michael roos, gaither, mcneil-chargers, jammal brown, ryan clady, jason peters, j.gross, flozell adams, max starks, diehl, clifton-packers, winston , vernon carey, sammy baker, brandon albert, khalif barnes, marc colombo, dabrickashaw ferguson...

there u go, although i give our whole line credit in the running game for the most part

both of u arent too observant...i said there are 25 "tackles" and 10 "guards" better, for the ppl who cant seem to think ne one on the pats is expendable or plays bad

spacecrime, better yet, u give me 15-25 starting right tackles that are worse than kaczur!? im waiting..

Last edited:
spacecrime, better yet, u give me 15-25 starting right tackles that arent as good as kaczur!?? im waiting..
Why? I made no claims anywhere.

You are the guy who claimed there were 25 players better than Kaczur at his position. Maybe you are right. Maybe youk just made it up to try to prove some point about Orhnberger. I don't know.

But if you say the 25 guys are better than he is at his position, I'd like to know who those 25 guys are. Seems like a simple request.

Edit:

both of u arent too observant...i said there are 25 "tackles" and 10 "guards" better, for the ppl who cant seem to think ne one on the pats is expendable or plays bad

Never mind. I thought you had a clue about football. If you think that LT and RT are interchangeable, then don't bother replying. You have nothing to say that would interest me.

Last edited:
kaczur is not the best option for us this nxt year unless he improves with consistency and effort imo...i never said there were 25 better at "his" position, i said tackle, overall TACKLE, but i wouldnt be surprised at all if he is at the bottom half of starting right tackles in the nfl....watch what dude u try to make look dumb, bc ur obviously lacking a lil truth, and support in your statements

Last edited:
i think my request is quite simple as well...name em' big guy...a good tackle is interchangeable at both the tackle positions

That's sort of goofy to list 25 Left Tackles better than Kaczur. That's just like listing 25 corners who are better in coverage than Mayo. Interesting, but a different position. Doesn't make him a bad player.

Just by including Matt Light on the list basically demonstrates the value of this comparison. Yes, Light, better left tackle than Kaczur. One could probably come up with a list of 25 players who are better centers than Kaczur. Or 25 better running backs. Not sure what this proves.

Here's some data on the issue:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/216003-sacks-allowed.html

This thread references analysis showing that Kaczur gave up 3 sacks in 2008. That's good for the eighth best RT. (Comparing him to other right tackles.) While few of us are satisfied with Kaczur, as a pass protector he is pretty good, certainly above average.

On the Neal question, 10 guards are listed. There are 32 teams, with 64 starting guards. So is the point that Neal is the 11th out of 64 guards? Again, not so bad. I'm not sure whether that is designed to say he is over-rated or under-rated.

Given that it is common to play your better tackle at left tackle, many teams have a lesser tackle playing right tackle. While I'm not sure Kaczur is the 8th best RT, I'd say he's about average at RT. By developing an above-average player, the Patriots can improve.

luckily, we have a quick pass game that involves tons of screens or his numbers would be worse... and yes that comparison is a little silly but its what i claimed mr. Urgent..kaczur is not the eighth best rt in the league, if we were to gather all the oline coaches in the nfl im certain we could agree on that

Last edited:
we should certainly be hoping to improve on the line if we want to play close to our potential, and btw nice stats and quick homework you did, but i dont think the neal of 2008 was even a top 25 guard imo...yes, i think he is overrated on this site...pass protection improvements, im hoping for.. BRO

Last edited:
I agree that Kaczur is not a top tackle.

However, the numbers are pretty good.

As noted, the 8th best against the pass rush.

The Patriots were the 6th best rushing team last year, without their #1 back in Maroney. With Morris and Faulk, they put up better rushing behind this line than New York with Thomas Jones, Tennessee with Chris Johnson & LenDale White, etc. etc. Some of that rushing performance is due to the performance of the right tackle - you wouldn't list Morris and Faulk among the 6 best RB's in the league. And, of course, that's not only without Maroney but also without Brady.

That's two stats that are the primary measurements for tackles, and both, surprisingly, place Kaczur in the top 10. If quick screens were the simple answer, more teams would use quick screens and more players would have better numbers than Kaczur.

I think the Pats are OK with Kaczur, and should improve should Vollmer be able to play RT in the near future.

i agree that they will be okay..but to be great we need to constantly identify our weaknesses and improve or upgrade on those..i c most of the line needing to be overhauled in the next 2 years and yes quick screens are a solution for the great pressure defenses of today, that is why so many more teams are starting to throw them

Last edited:
Well this guys is on the PUP list with an undisclosed injury.

Hopefully he mends well, and gets into the flow early in camp.

Lord knows we will need his depth this year....assuming he makes the final cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes