PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats showing the most interest in Michael Sam

fnordcircle

The poster who James White said inspires him.
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://nesn.com/2014/04/report-patriots-among-six-teams-showing-most-interest-in-michael-sam/

At the risk of starting a politically or emotionally charged discussion (ehehe risk) I really want this team to sign this guy. Even if it means passing over a better option or reaching for him in the 5th or 6th.

Sam won't be Jackie Robinson but as a civil rights slacktivist I still think it will be something remembered for a long while and and I want that associated with my team. Between Hernandez and Spygate the team's reputation as an organization has taken some hits. I'd like to see us be the team that helps a player break that barrier.

Just say no.

No Sam I am.

If he can be a good, contributing player for us, I hope he ends up here. If he can't do that, good luck to him elsewhere, and I mean that. I believe it took considerable intestinal fortitude for him to "come out" as he did, but I only want him here if he can earn a spot based upon merit.

Well, this will ultimately turn into a debate about homosexuality that will be moved to the Political forum because, well, it's just been that kind of offseason here. But before it does, I've watched him pretty extensively even back to his Mizzou days and I'm honestly not that impressed. He seems to use raw power a little too much to get into the backfield and needs to develop quite a bit of technique. He also has a tendancy to overpursue that will get him into trouble in the NFL. I'll chalk this up as the Pats recognizing that they need a DE and seeing just how good Mizzou's defense was last year. But, if it came down to it, I would MUCH rather they pull the trigger on Ealy, his teammate, than Sam.

I have to look at the situation without considering his sexuality, and when I do that, he is not an impressive prospect at all in my opinion. He is undersized, and his athletic metrics were poor and that is putting it nicely.

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6020
Weight: 261
40 Yard Dash: 4.91
20 Yard Dash:
10 Yard Dash:
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 17
Vertical Jump: 25 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'06"
20 Yard Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill: 7.80

If he drops to UDFA I would be all for them signing him but to use, a draft pick on him seems like a poor decision. This is about winning football games, and he just does not have that much talent.

If people hate the Patriots because of Spygate I doubt there's anything the organization can do to make them change their minds. Other than maybe become irrelevant for a while.

As for Sam, he's obviously a great story and if the Patriots think he's a fit and can contribute then that's good enough for me too. We all know they look for more than raw talent when they draft.

I have to look at the situation without considering his sexuality, and when I do that, he is not an impressive prospect at all in my opinion. He is undersized, and his athletic metrics were poor and that is putting it nicely.

20 Yard Dash:
10 Yard Dash:
20 Yard Shuttle:

If he drops to UDFA I would be all for them signing him but to use, a draft pick on him seems like a poor decision. This is about winning football games, and he just does not have that much talent.

Watch him play and don't read into the underwear Olympics too much. Being SEC defensive player of the year, to me, means he can play.

If he's the BPA at any point in which the Pats pick then pull the trigger. Although how often does the Pats "showing" interest mean actual interest?

A slower, weaker, less athletic Jermaine Cunningham.......Is the goal to fill Jake Bequette's role as the 53rd player on the roster? The draft report on Bequette was "what he lacked in athleticism is made up with intelligence.".....But in comparing combine results of Sam vs Bequette....Jake owns the athleticism categories.
If the goal is to bust down walls of intolerance, might as well go all the way and draft Mangold's sister because she is definitely stronger than Sam and would scare the crap out of OL she is face to face with

Last edited:
We'd probably be better off just having a gay player who's already on the team making an announcement.

Watch him play and don't read into the underwear Olympics too much. Being SEC defensive player of the year, to me, means he can play.

If he's the BPA at any point in which the Pats pick then pull the trigger. Although how often does the Pats "showing" interest mean actual interest?

Seeing as IIRC from Patriot Reign the Patriots make it their mission to write up a report on every draft-eligible player every year, the correlation probably isn't that high. That said, there have been cases where they've spent lots of time on marginal prospects and then ended up drafting them (see: Edelman, Julian, who apparently had several pre-draft meetings with Patriots coaches).

A slower, weaker, less athletic Jermaine Cunningham.......Is the goal to fill Jake Bequette's role as the 53rd player on the roster? The draft report on Bequette was "what he lacked in athleticism is made up with intelligence.".....But in comparing combine results of Sam vs Bequette....Jake owns the athleticism categories.
If the goal is to bust down walls of intolerance, might as well go all the way and draft Mangold's sister because she is definitely stronger than Sam and would scare the crap out of OL she is face to face with

I don't usually agree with you, but a "weaker, less athletic Jermaine Cunningham" is the perfect way to describe Sam. Sorry, but I have to think that anybody for the Pats using a draft pick on him has never seen him play in college. His style doesn't seem to translate to the professional level well at all, and that's even without taking into account his poor showing at the Combine and his pro day.

I think he has potential to be a very good football player and there is no better team to start with then the patriots. I don't care that he is gay as long as he can play football I will be happy.

Sam doesnt fit our system. He is undersized and overrated!
I'm going with what a couple of draft guides have him rated as a UDFA. He's speed a rusher that can't get off blocks, can't set the edge, and is a liability against the run. But if BB thinks he's worth a shot, then who am I to say no.

If anything, Drafting him is going to make those mouth breathers that think "Spygate" was an actual big deal hate the patriots even more.

If he's picked in the sixth round or so, it's literally impossible for him to be a bigger reach or a bigger bust than Jake Bequette.

20 Yard Dash:
10 Yard Dash:
20 Yard Shuttle:

This.

I really don't see us wasting a draft pick on him and will be pissed if we do. If he ever happens to make the team, it will only be as a UDFA. His open field speed is average at best, and he doesn't win one on one battles (read: forget about bull rushing), and I think we're all sick and tired of backers who can't cover.

I am not disputing that he was a productive college football player, the thing is many players are but to excel in the NFL you have to have the talent, maybe you can get by with some shortcomings through added effort but Sam has a lot of shortcomings. He is undersized, slow, lacks agility, and is not that strong, Belichick likes players with good 3-cone times, and leaping ability, Sam was one of the worst in his group in both. He had a 25 ½ vertical that is something you would expect from a 330lb OL or DT, not a 255lb DE/OLB.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back