Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pats should sign Nate Clements

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by marcus, Feb 17, 2007.

1. marcus

marcus On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Great start with Samuels. the time is right for the PATS to go for a true top tier shut down corner. Yes its big bucks (probably 18 million in bonus money)...but..lots of money under the cap.

Cornerback is probably the one position other than quarterback that big money is wisely invested. It is the most difficult defensive position to fill

Two very solid cornerbacks along with the great D-line would give the PATS a chance at a formidable defense this year.

Taking him away from a division rival and signing him would be a great strategic move. He knows the divisonal opponents vey well and would fit right in.

2. satz

satz 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Very bad idea buddy.Last 5 yrs we have gone through an avg of 15 DB`s per year.This year when most return from IR most are FA. IF we spend the money on clements we will end up with 5-6 DB`s which mean by game 6 we will have no DB`s from a historic point of view.
    Also,with no ILB teams going to kill us as in 3-4 the 4 LB are the key and Inside LB are the focal points.We do not play tampa 2 so with only brushi signed this will be the death of our defence.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  3. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +178 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

That ought to fly real well with Samuel. Long term deal for Clement who hasn't played a down for this team and a 1 yr deal for your own.

4. ChoWZa

ChoWZa Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

What does that matter...?

5. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

It's highly unlikely they sign either, you think they should sign both?

BB's defense is predicated on DL, LB, S. You cannot field a team with top 5 players at every position, so you pick your poison. He has invested heavily in Dlinemen, and will likely have to invest more heavily in LB and S going forward as guys who run his defense like Tedy and Rodney, who could have but chose not to break the bank, age out. If his front 7 and SS do their job, you don't need an all world CB duo, just solid players in the position.

Salaries across the board are going to catch up to the increased cap in the next few seasons when we have several more critical position players due for extensions and will likely be paying a new generation of LB's and safeties who may not be too inclined to give steep home town discounts. Teams who treat this money like a windfall will be cutting overpaid players just to get under the cap again in a year or two.

We had a formidable defense this year until the flu struck in week 18. And not a CB on the roster making much more than league minimum.

6. Patriot Missile

Ratings:
    +178 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

It doesn't matter to a fan like yourself,but I'm sure Samuel would feel just a tad bit betrayed by the organization if they had money laying around and decided to give someone else the job security that Samuel has worked hard for. Especially at the same position of CB. And make no mistake, Clement will get paid well,so if we were to make a pitch for him it would take alot of dough to get it done.

If your asking what does it matter? We already franchised him so who cares? Well then let's just say I think you would be a terrible employer to work for with that attitude.

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

What we do not know here is was this year an exception for Samuel or the norm?? In the beginning of the year he was described as a nickel back in a starting role. He emerged into something different as the year progressed. Who is the real Assante Samuel, the guy who played like a pro bowler the last half of the year or the guy who played the first half?

8. Patriot Missile

Ratings:
    +178 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

Good question. Personally I'm glad we franchised him. I wanted to see if he could do this for another year anyways. It is almost a given even if he performs at the same level next season, his interception total will be down. I just don't see teams throwing his way like they did this season. They know there is a price to pay if they do. So I'll be looking more at his coverage vs the run and pass.

9. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Yet another BRILLIANT thread by marcus.

What are we at, like 100 now?

10. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

#17 Jersey

LOVE the idea.......the "flak" a few are sending your way in here sort of reminds me what everyone said when we signed Harrison and tried to sign Lynch.

A team will always find a spot for talent and having TWO of the best FA's would be a real coup in my opinion.

Can we afford it...um, yes, I think we can. Even if we only keep Samuel for one year, that money can be spent on extending a soon to be FA, in next years off season (like Ty Warren).

The franchising of Samuel all of a sudden brings flexibility to our off season. I love the way BB/SP handle their business and make no mistake, they are light years ahead of everyone else in the NFL.

11. salty

salty On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You're crazy, man.

12. lutontown_fc

lutontown_fc On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

One star vote.

13. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

I think we should sign Thomas, Edwards, Fletcher-Baker, Bennett, Stallworth, Ahman Green, Freeney and any other good player.

It seems unlikely that the Pats (or any other team would invest 15-18 million per year for a pair of CBs).

14. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You forgot Jeff Garcia. We're trading Cassel for a 2nd rounder after all. :D

15. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

I thought Cassell was getting us two first rounders... or wait maybe Cassell is the next Dan Marino and we would be crzy to trade him... I can't keep up.

16. Kdo5

Kdo5 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +26 / 5 / -3

What and lose a quarter of our cap space to two players?

17. ayjackson

ayjackson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

While the idea may not be well thought out, it is at most 12 - 15% of our cap space. Bonus money is amortized, after all.

Belioli could sign Clements if he believes the money Asante wants is too much for the risk. Then we'd have a star corner and an extra high draft pick.

18. zippo59

zippo59 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'm not going to even bother reading this thread and say no way. He wants to be the highest paid corner in the league and we already have one expensive cornerback.

19. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 8 / -8

I agree that Clements would be a double-extra-bad move for the Pats. The way we go through CBs, it might even be worse for us than for anyone else who wants to pay a premium for a "best in the business" CB... after all, we always end up playing #3 or #4 guys half the time anyway. What we need here (and its in keeping with the Pats philosophy in general), is a ton of guys that can get the job done. Sure, you want them as good as possible at the top of the depth chart, but even more you want to have large number of field-worthy guys all the way down through the layers. You definitely don't want to skew the whole cap toward a couple of high profile corners.

But I'm sure we also "should" hire 3 high profile receivers, 3 high profile linebackers, and Garcia to back up Brady.

$26M can only be split so many ways... at present, it's down to $18M after the 1-year hit from franchising Asante. I like the idea of getting maximum value, not maximum press coverage, for that money.

PFnV

20. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Maybe a top notch cb will last an entire season. It's interesting the injuries to the secondary seem to have started on the outside in the early years and have shifted to the safeties. Maybe the field turf will help, who knows. There's got to be a reason for it.