PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Should Keep Garoppolo Through 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess your shtick is being the pissy little guy on the board? Boring.

Oh ya......another one.......you're so tough......internet style......pumpin your virtual muscles, you big scary fella

All this discussion is not about Brady at 39 going on 40. It is about Brady at 41 going on 42; and Brady at 42 going on 43...

Or they're just being reasonable with the whole question of age and the ridiculous idea of making 3 year plans based on a 40 year old QB
Knock on wood, but barring catastrophic injury, of course they can win with him the next 3 years. He's not Manning/Moon/Favre/Marino at that age. He's in better condition than anyone ever, and 3 more years is not even unreasonable, much less approaching "ridiculous". Last year at this time we were talking about how Tom looked better moving around the pocket and running from the pass rush than he had in years. Because he understood it was more important as he aged, he worked at it, and he got better at it. **** at this point JG is the guy that can't stay on the field due to physical condition, not Tom.

The real debate is over whether or not JG is "what's next", and whether he's what's next so hard that they have to jettison Brady earlier than necessary or imagined. It's not about Brady's demonstrated level of play, physical conditioning, or the next 3 years. If you fall on the side of planning for the 2020-2026 Patriots more so than the 2017-2019 Patriots, so be it. It's disingenuous to argue that their chances to win the Super Bowl the next 3 years are better with JG than they are with Tom. If you think, based on 6 quarters of football that JG couldn't even make it through without getting injured, that their chances would be equal with JG or Tom, then I respect your opinion (even if I disagree). But there's no objective basis for determining that any plans 3 years out are better off with JG than Tom Brady.

Beyond that...eh, different argument, but one that requires too much extrapolation for me to consider serious.

That is not the cost.

Brock Osweiler is at $16m for the first year. $37m in first 2 years guaranteed. Can't lower the cap hit on that.

Brady is at $15m for 2017, jumps to $23m in 2018.

I don't think anyone is "casting him out," at least I'm not. But let me ask you this: would you trade one year of "good" Brady for prospectively 10 solid years of good play from his heir apparent? I would be surprised to see Brady playing at a high level past 2018.
And exactly how did you determine that we are going to get 10 years of good QB from JG after 5 quarters of football. Because if you can, you are definitely at the wrong job.

And you still didn't answer the question, "how do you know you are NOT going to get just as good QB play from JB, 3 years from now, and NOT have to rush Brady out of here, NOT deal with the dead money issues, AND get a boat load of badly needed draft picks besides?" Don't you see that just having JB around completely changes the situation.

At any rate we've been going round and round on this for a while. In the end BB probably already knows what he's going to do, and there is one thing for certain, he isn't going to be asking you OR me for advise. ;)

All this discussion is not about Brady at 39 going on 40. It is about Brady at 41 going on 42; and Brady at 42 going on 43...
Likewise, this discussion isn't about Jimmy Garoppolo for 2 quarters against the Dolphins in his second career start It's about his staying power, and whether or not he'll continue to play that well once NFL coaches actually have game tape on him and his body has to hold up to a season's worth of NFL hits.

There's plenty of risk either way.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, because he would be playing for the New England Patriots and not the Cleveland Browns or another comparatively shaky organization he'd be automatically expected to carry without a capable supporting cast. I would anticipate that if this ever were to occur, his contract here wouldn't exactly leave him a pauper. This is on the assumption that Brady would retire/move on after 2018.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he still would be able to control where he went. He is a free agent after 2017, not a draft pick. He could avoid the pathetic franchises and go to one that is well run but simply in need of a QB.

Let's say your choices after next season were to

1) sign a 1 year deal with the NEP for $10M with the knowledge that you will be a backup for the NEP for 1 year and you know (wink, wink) that you are in line for the starting job at market rates following that year.

2) sign a market rate multiyear deal with the Cleveland Browns at 20M/yr.
Why does everyone who thinks Garoppolo would stay for short cash assume Garoppolo's only 2 choices will be New England or Cleveland?

Essentially the only way they can support their argument is to completely eliminate 30 NFL teams and tell Garoppolo that his only options are New England or Cleveland. There are simply no other franchises in the NFL, Jimmy.

Think of the draft pick haul the Packers could have gotten if they dumped Aaron and kept Favre! Same stupid choice.
That comparison is epic fail for 2 reasons:

1) Brady is not threatening retirement every season like Favre, leaving the team to wonder if he is coming back or not, and....

2) I like Jimmy. But to annoint him as the next Aaron Rodgers is ridiculous.

The fact that no 40 year old QB has ever won the Super Bowl would suggest that you have your head firmly planted up your own ass.
Really? That's you retort? "No 40 year old QB has ever won the Super Bowl, therefore we should dump Brady before he turns 40"...?

Talk about someone having their head in their ass. If you ever manage to get it unstuck from your own ass, you might be able to discover that Tom Brady has already done plenty of thing that no other QB had done. Why should the Super Bowl be any different?

This is getting absurd. How can anybody have watched anything Brady has ever done in the NFL and see a guy that is going to volunteer to take a pay cut so he can sit on the bench?
He has to compete for is position. every year, just like everyone else. If he is the best in 2018, he'll play. If not, he will be the reserve.

And exactly how did you determine that we are going to get 10 years of good QB from JG after 5 quarters of football. Because if you can, you are definitely at the wrong job.
Agreed. Jimmy is off to a good start, but it is ridiculous how many people in here are ready to send him to Canton.

And you still didn't answer the question, "how do you know you are NOT going to get just as good QB play from JB, 3 years from now, and NOT have to rush Brady out of here, NOT deal with the dead money issues, AND get a boat load of badly needed draft picks besides?" Don't you see that just having JB around completely changes the situation.

At any rate we've been going round and round on this for a while. In the end BB probably already knows what he's going to do, and there is one thing for certain, he isn't going to be asking you OR me for advise. ;)
All of this is conjecture and speculation, everyone knows that. But I do wonder why you keep coming back to Garoppolo not showing you enough when he tamed Arizona with his arm on the road in his first-ever start and was in the process of completely destroying Miami when he went down.

I'm not saying Brissett won't be a good QB at some point, but I'll go out on a limb in suggesting he won't develop into as good a pure passer as Jimmy. Garoppolo's quick release is rare, and so far he has shown other capabilities beyond his years. Now, if he plays this Sunday I won't expect as much from him because of his injury and then that probably will be it for a long time. I will add that as a Patriots season ticket holder for 25 years, Garoppolo is by far the most impressive second-string QB I've seen and someone to be excited about. But as you say, BB probably knows already what he's going to do. I'll be fascinated to see what he decides and whether Garoppolo is still on the Patriots roster this time next year. If he is, that just might clue us in.

I'm all about the brisket now

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I'm all about the brisket now

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

One thing that will surely benefit the development of Brissett is the fact that he's been thrown to the wolves and has been forced to learn on the fly. While that situation is never ideal, it could prove to be extremely beneficial a year or two down the road.

Without the Brady suspension and Garoppolo injury, Brissett may have had something of an easy year. I hate to use the term "wasted" because that's not fair, but there aren't too many QB3s who come to Foxborough and do too much after their first summer. Either way you look at it I think this will accelerate his development and increase his potential.

He has to compete for is position. every year, just like everyone else. If he is the best in 2018, he'll play. If not, he will be the reserve.
And if he is horrified by the risk of spending his final year or two on the bench, then he refuses the pay cut and goes to another team where he knows he'll play.

Why would he agree to that? Especially if he could get more money and guaranteed playing time elsewhere?

Really? That's you retort? "No 40 year old QB has ever won the Super Bowl, therefore we should dump Brady before he turns 40"...?

Talk about someone having their head in their ass. If you ever manage to get it unstuck from your own ass, you might be able to discover that Tom Brady has already done plenty of thing that no other QB had done. Why should the Super Bowl be any different?

LOL......ya.......and it's going to keep going........forevah

you have the comprehension of a hydrant

who said 'dump Brady before he turns 40'??? ya jackass

Agreed. Jimmy is off to a good start, but it is ridiculous how many people in here are ready to send him to Canton.

show me who said that.......ya jackass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back