PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats should keep Adalius Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm a bit of a noob...but why do people call Tom Brady "TFB" and Adalius Thomas "AD"? What's the F in TFB for, and why is it a D in AD? Please don't insult me in your reply :x I know I'm stupid...

AD stands for All Day.

And the "F" stands for football, of course. His middle name.

As in Tom Football's the hell out of Giselle.

Trade him (as opposed to cut) and his entire unamortized amount hits the cap ...... this year. Make a deal with a team dumping a player with unamortized costs straight up. Then both teams can cut the players at no further costs to themselves.

Since there is no real benefit to cutting him now (other than to the Jets and to him), you can bet that if BB does cut him, it won't be until about five minutes before his 2010 salary would be guaranteed. AD should ask Tom Jackson if he thinks Belichick is the forgiving type.

Well, if BB is being honest when he says he makes decisions on what he believes will be best for the team, then he should not let his personal feelings get in the way in deciding what to do with AD.
Thomas was never considered a punk until this season...so I am bit skeptical as to the whole story or reason behind this discord between he and the coach.

Last edited:
Are you saying that no team would be willing to give us a 7th round draft choice for Thomas?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

Vested veterans have their salary guaranteed if they are on the opening day roster. So, the Patriots would have to cut him when they are required to get to a 53 man roster to avoid that.

I'd make him cover kickoffs. And lots of laps. Maybe he'd make a good nose tackle... I'd like to see him play there in the 4th quarter of each exhibition game.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

Vested veterans have their salary guaranteed if they are on the opening day roster. So, the Patriots would have to cut him when they are required to get to a 53 man roster to avoid that.

I'd make him cover kickoffs. And lots of laps. Maybe he'd make a good nose tackle... I'd like to see him play there in the 4th quarter of each exhibition game.

yeah, I love to see him moved to mike linebacker and the kickoff team. If he wanted to play, he could mash it up....if he wanted to play

I would keep AD for depth purposes,but he has lost his edge as a starter..Still thats decent dollars for a backup OLB

I know I'm a bit of a noob...but why do people call Tom Brady "TFB" and Adalius Thomas "AD"? What's the F in TFB for, and why is it a D in AD? Please don't insult me in your reply :x I know I'm stupid...

Just because you're new here in the forum doesn't even come close to meaning that you're 'stupid.'

It's all good, no worries.:cool:

The F in TFB means exactly what you think it does, as in 'that's Tom F'in Brady right there.'

Adalius Thomas simply has gone by AD his whole life, just a nickname, most likely derived from the first 2 letters in his name--ADalius. He was very quick to point out to New England reporters when he signed here that it wasn't AT, but AD.

A good veteran poster, Ray Clay, has pointed out that it stands for 'all day,' and that could very well be true also. My guess is that it originated from ADalius at some point.

Don't worry about posting questions etc, there are some who have simply had their patience worn down from many new guys who act like jack-asses.

Sure they should keep him... as a waterboy!

I don't see AD staying with the Pats. They'll trade him away for a pittance if they have to, or they'll just flat out release him if nobody is interested.

Well, if BB is being honest when he says he makes decisions on what he believes will be best for the team, then he should not let his personal feelings get in the way in deciding what to do with AD.
Thomas was never considered a punk until this season...so I am bit skeptical as to the whole story or reason behind this discord between he and the coach.

That's something I have often thought myself. While I have stated before my disappointment in some of his comments, I am not sold 100% as of yet that he is as bad as some are stating.

I think he feels that he could be used better in a different way, and that is the main issue between BB and himself.

Personally, I am hoping that they can resolve their differences, whether those are as major as some would believe, is yet to be seen.

If we do dump him, then I would hope it's in a trade to someone out of conference--certainly out of the division. As we've seen before, sometimes a player is still productive if used differently or in a different system.

Trade him (as opposed to cut) and his entire unamortized amount hits the cap ...... this year. Make a deal with a team dumping a player with unamortized costs straight up. Then both teams can cut the players at no further costs to themselves.

No it doesn't. Doesn't matter whether a player is traded or cut, the dead cap is treated the same. And under an expiring CBA there is NO CAP ACCELERATION so you can't eat up all the dead cap when a player is cut or traded. You just take the same bonus amortization hit you would have if he remained (minus his 2010 salary). And you take the remaining dead cap (amortization) hits for the remainder of his contract. In AD's case he was signed through 2011 so you take a remaining dead cap hit in 2011. $4.4M this year and $4.4M in 2011. But you don't pay him his remaining salary, including $4.9M this year, so you save money going forward. His dead cap is sunk cost, you already paid it.

The AAV of his contract signed back in 2007 was $7.5M per, not quite the top of tier for an OLB then, a lot less than it is now. If you trade him to a team they are only on the hook for his 2010 salary of $4.9M and his 2011 salary only if they want to keep him. $4.9M isn't hugh money for an OLB some teams may feel is still an above average player who just wore out his welcome here and needs a change of scenery. If that team waits until he's cut they suddenly are competing with 8 teams who may bid up the player to an overpay anyway since they haven't got a lot of options in signing FA. Might be worth a conditional 2011 pick for that team to acquire him for a one year test drive with no future liability and potentially no liability at all since they could cut him before the season and the condition could be tied to his making the roster.

I would keep AD for depth purposes,but he has lost his edge as a starter..Still thats decent dollars for a backup OLB

Vrabel got cut for potentially costing a whole lot less going forward. That's not elite money but it is definitely starter money. Bill won't carry him at almost $5M unless he's suddenly a 3 down player again. Situational pass rushers only warrant half that.

i don't see a reason to cut him other. then woods, and crable. AD is the only OLB on the roster. and all the big name OLB i think will be gone if the pats don't pick one at #22

I don't believe he takes personal feelings into account when making football decisions. He cut Troy Brown. He signed Ty Law after Law called him a liar in the press.

If he thinks the team is better with Thomas, he will keep him. If he thinks the team is better off without Thomas, then he is gone, and it won't matter what the cap hit is.

Anyway, I don't think he has personal feelings for Thomas. BB's beef with Thomas is professional, late for meetings and lack of effort.

I'm curious as to why people think BB has personal feelings regarding Thomas.

I think the "F" came from Fitzy. If you don't know him, you need to watch when someone posts one of his clips.

The question is whether Kraft should shell out $4.9M of additional money to Thomas in no-cap year. The bonus money and the timing of the bonus matter doesn't matter if this isn't a capped year.

I suspect the answer is no and that we should trade him for what we can get (not much but something).

Personally, I think that Belichick should assess what value Thomas could be to the team and do what it takes to take advantage of his talents.

I don't believe he takes personal feelings into account when making football decisions. He cut Troy Brown. He signed Ty Law after Law called him a liar in the press.

If he thinks the team is better with Thomas, he will keep him. If he thinks the team is better off without Thomas, then he is gone, and it won't matter what the cap hit is.

Anyway, I don't think he has personal feelings for Thomas. BB's beef with Thomas is professional, late for meetings and lack of effort.

I'm curious as to why people think BB has personal feelings regarding Thomas.

Bill is a lot more forgiving of some things than others, and some people than others. He holds a grudge where mediots are concerned, and likely players if he believes it's a matter of willfully not delivering. He took the insults from players upset about their money or respect in stride because he gets the nature of the beast. What may tip the balance on AD is if as reported it was BB himself who told him to leave and if in fact the way he was as reported - telling him to get the F out of here. And reportedly they have not talked outside of interaction in meeting rooms since. (Whereas BB had a sit down with Randy to smooth ruffled feathers.) That would to me indicate he was already pretty disgusted with this player on more levels than one and close to the point of writing him off. The fact that AD has done nothing since but continue to make excuses and absolve himself (I texted, I followed procedure...) tells me they are likely done with each other. Bill has always valued veteran insight and input, but only from players he feels have earned the right to via their play on the field. He doesn't listen to AD apparently, so there is probably a reason...

His dead cap is sunk cost, you already paid it.
This is an excellent point that I think is generally misunderstood by Felger and his ilk. They keep talking about how much a player will cost to cut, as though if you cut him, you have to shell out the money for future cap hits.

The cap hit is $4.4 mil this year and next, but that has already been paid. The check has been written and was cashed long ago.

The only question is should the Pats pay Thomas $5 mil to be here in 2010.

Trade Thomas for a draft pick,as much as poissble.Time for both parties to move on.

It is possible that when the Owners and Players agree to start playing again in 2011, that they may not just wipe the slate clean

...that is if the Patriots just let Adalius go now...perhaps they make the PATS account for that prorated portion of his roster bonus in 2011 or 2012

There is no guarantee from the league that his prorated bonus portion will just disappear for cap purposes

The only person who has said it might disappear is YOU, almost everyone else assumes it won't and has done their analysis based on the currently scheduled cap hits of 4.4M this year (when it doesn't matter) and 4.4M next year (when it might).

I have no idea where you get 2012 from, Thomas' contract ends in 2011. There is no way at all they could assess a cap hit scheduled for 2010 under the current CBA into a future capped year, the CBA explicitly says this year is uncapped.

I think this is a good topic of discussion. A lot of people on the draft board think we could use a good SILB so Mayo can play WILB and roam sideline to sideline. That's why there's a lot of talk of McClain, Spikes, etc.

Since he basically became a two-down player in 09, anyone else think if BB and him mend the fences that AD would make a very good two-down SILB? I think he could be pretty effective for us as a SILB, and would allow Mayo to roam sideline to sideline more. Guyton could come in on 3rd downs as a coverage guy. McKenzie can be eased into his role instead of being thrown into the fire a year off ACL surgery. As we've seen, it often takes a good amount of time on the field before you are back to normal, which can be seen if you look at some of the struggles of Brady and Merriman to name a few.

I'd think AD inside, given his pass rushing history, would also give us more opportunities to blitz our inside LB's on some A-gap blitzes to really collapse the pocket. He seems like he's built to stack and shed at a mammoth 6'2 270.

It's pretty clear we need to upgrade OLB and hopefully get something from Crable. I don't think AD would be all that happy with this position change, but I think it could work. If you had a rotation of Mayo, AD, Guyton, and McKenzie, I think that's pretty solid. You can address OLB via FA/Draft. Just kicking around some ideas. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back