PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats should dump Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcbee

Banned
Reaction score
drop that whiner.

Has he been talking to other teams as a prelude to a trade? I haven't heard anything.

I'd hate to go though the draft without a trade and then have him turn into a whining distraction as the season started. It's better to lance the boil now.

And no, I don't think they should "pay" him his ransom amount.

thats why they are exploring options..why "drop him" if u can "trade him" or if u can "hopefully come to terms"

drop that whiner.

Has he been talking to other teams as a prelude to a trade? I haven't heard anything.

I'd hate to go though the draft without a trade and then have him turn into a whining distraction as the season started. It's better to lance the boil now.

What did he say? I haven't heard anything bad. He's entitled to try and get more money, I have no problem with that.

I believe he's allowed to talk to other teams and that's to our benefit if we need to go that route.

Last edited:
Samuel is going to be here until someone forks out a 1st in the 2007 or 2008 draft. Whinging to the media changes nothing.

Whinging to the media changes nothing.

It only adds fuel to the "Patriots don't pay their star players" cry for rival fans. Of course other squads haven't had the number of quality players NE has so I can see where the confusion comes from.

drop that whiner.

I hope we sign him for one year - we will need to use his money next year as our D'linemen "must sign" parade begins in ernest.

No need to get upset with him, he has every right to negotiate with other teams as we had a right to franchise him.

I hope we sign him for one year - we will need to use his money next year as our D'linemen "must sign" parade begins in ernest.

No need to get upset with him, he has every right to negotiate with other teams as we had a right to franchise him.

Asante forgets how AVERAGE his play was before this year. He forgets who stuck with him :rolleyes: Trade his ass.

Yeah, agreed. Add to that Samuel's camp's experience with the market out there. Maybe, just maybe, nobody is in a hurry to cough up 10M per annum. We might end up seeing a deal out of this yet.

Then again, of course, somebody might just. And if they do, that's what the system is supposed to produce - free agency. Then it's down to the familiar menu: sit a year, play a year under the cap, and get the crazy money elsewhere next year, or your new team coughs up some serious compensation.

Stating the obvious,

PFnV

I'm fine with whatever happens to Samuel.

But for those who want to "dump him" who starts in his place next season?

I see a lot of dump him posts, but I see very little in the way of discussion on what impact that has on the secondary in 2007, and more to the point, our SB hopes.

I'm fine with whatever happens to Samuel.

But for those who want to "dump him" who starts in his place next season?

I see a lot of dump him posts, but I see very little in the way of discussion on what impact that has on the secondary in 2007, and more to the point, our SB hopes.

I don't know. A rookie? Wilson? The new guy from Cinn.? Gay?

Hopefully lots of people will get experience throughout the year so that by playoff time....everyone will be ready.

The question is: Can a rookie be almost a effective as Samuel for a "cheap" price? If yes, trade him. If not, keep him.

Hopefully lots of people will get experience throughout the year so that by playoff time....everyone will be ready.

There's the problem.....We want to field our very best team possible this year, right?

Asante Samuel IS our best corner and certainly better than any of the players you mentioned above. We ARE a better team with him playing corner for us.

I would lke to see him play one year for us...then we will need his salary to pay some of our "D" linemen that will be starting to look for well deserved new deals.

Yeah, agreed. Add to that Samuel's camp's experience with the market out there. Maybe, just maybe, nobody is in a hurry to cough up 10M per annum. We might end up seeing a deal out of this yet.

Then again, of course, somebody might just. And if they do, that's what the system is supposed to produce - free agency. Then it's down to the familiar menu: sit a year, play a year under the cap, and get the crazy money elsewhere next year, or your new team coughs up some serious compensation.

Stating the obvious,

PFnV

I dont get why he is so negative all the sudden. Does he forget how the pats stuck by him? 10 mill per? Come on Asante........ Lets be fair.

Yes, it's right about here that your thread confirms with absolute certainty it's total short-sightedness.

Nice plan.

Yes, it's right about here that your thread confirms with absolute certainty it's total short-sightedness.

As opposed to what?

a) Paying him a long term deal 16M guaranteed, 10M per year?
b) putting up with a long hold out, whining, constant distraction.

Which of those is better than a trade. The guy from Cincy was an all-pro a couple years ago...how is he not as good as a guy who was mediocre until last year?

Let's just put Adalius Thomas at CB. He can do it. joking kind of.

It's absurd to say "dump him". This is going like many others before him.

He will hold out for a couple of weeks in TC. He will demand that the Patriots not tag him next year and they will decline to do so.

Ulitmately he will show up and play for his $500,000 per game. And, he will play his best for next year.

What's your plan, Einstein? Pay him his ransom money or endure his *****ing and moaning the whole season while he waits until week 10 to show up?

Unless your crystal ball is a little clearer than the rest of ours, you don't know that he's going to ***** and moan all season. This is just one act in the franchise tag dance, where the finale is a long term deal for the player - one way or another. And if he cannot be signed long term here, and he choses to pitch a fit because he believes there is a team out there who will sign him to the kind of deal he appears to be demanding, they won't tolerate it - they will deal with it.

One of three things is going to happen here. Either he gets dealt pre draft for picks this year and possibly next year, OR he signs his tender just before or after camp starts and reports (which he would only do because his agent has determined there isn't actually a team out there who will both pay him and compensate us and we perhaps agree to a no tag provision for 2008) OR he gets dealt before the season for 2008 draft compensation and perhaps an alternate veteran player for this season from a team still cap flush and approaching the season desperate for a starting corner. They are not going to let him even attempt to hold out to week 10. They wouldn't even let Deion hold out to week 1. This train waits for no man, at some point they simply move on with the guys already aboard. However the train doesn't have to leave the station this week, or next week. I can leave in July and still complete the journey.

Many of us believe that if he intends to hold out for any length of time that includes even the majority of camp and the pre season, they would be better served to just move on now and get usable compensation for this season. Others believe he will never hold out into the season (although they said the same things about Deion) and prefer to roll those dice for a year of his services. Some even believe they may yet get a deal done. There may still remain three seperate trains of thought in Foxboro.

But one way or another we will take the field in September with either Asante starting at one corner or in posession of compensation for the fact that Asante is starting as someone elses corner. They are simply not going to pay top 5 guaranteed money to a guy who strolls in during the bye week (9).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes