PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats select QB Kevin O'Connell with 94th overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to think that they feel he can make some contribution on special teams to use a late 3rd rounder on him.

I also wouldn't rule out that the Pats were getting calls of teams interested in trading for the 94th pick and they extrapolated an interest in O'Connell by teams in need of a quality QB.

Give him some practice reps, make him look good, let him demonstrate some special teams ability, and maybe, just maybe, between now and the start of the season, some team decides they have a need and will give up a 2nd round pick for him.

That's not an inconceivable scenario - and those of you who are excited about the fact that we leveraged an early 3rd rounder in 2008 into a late 2nd rounder in 2009 should be estatic over the prospect of turning a late 3rd rounder into a mid 2nd rounder or better.

if given a long term (Romo-like) training period behind a great QB and intelligent coaching staff, he he could be a great QB in the future. Not just a starter but a Brady/Manning quality player after 2 or 3 years on the bench.

Don't push it...But I like the pick. The fact that Brady hasn't missed a game in 7 years is a terrible reason not to have a quality backup.

Don't push it...But I like the pick. The fact that Brady hasn't missed a game in 7 years is a terrible reason not to have a quality backup.

Are you of the philosophical school of "Brady hasn't missed a game in so long so that proves he is reliable" or "Its been so long that Brady's been hurt he is due"

Last edited:
So has anyone else noticed this selection just brought up a 10 minute argument on the NFL Network… a round later.

With Mayock calling BB the Picasso of the draft while the put up your dukes guy getting all offended with people thinking the Pats can do no wrong.

BTW Mayock likes every pick we've made, especially this one.

So has anyone else noticed this selection just brought up a 10 minute argument on the NFL Network… a round later.

With Mayock calling BB the Picasso of the draft while the put up your dukes guy getting all offended with people thinking the Pats can do no wrong.

BTW Mayock likes every pick we've made, especially this one.

Really? I've never even heard of the kid. :confused:

Apparently he was the sleeper pick of the draft.

Whats not to like about this pick considering how thin the league in general is at the QB position. Truly the best value pick for BB. Smart, smart decision.

Are you of the philosophical school of "Brady hasn't missed a game in so long so that proves he is reliable" or "Its been so long that Brady's been hurt he is due"

Brady is durable but nobody is immune to injury. Nobody is "due" to be injured. Taking a guy who could develop into a quality backup here or a starter in a trade situation is not a bad selection.

The next CB we take will have a tough time making the team given who we already have signed and drafted, particularly if we add Ty Law.

Why, because we have such great corners ? And youre basing your hopes on us signing Ty Law ? I love Ty Law and Rodney Harrison, but if those two guys are starting for us in the playoffs, we are in trouble. They are WAY past their prime. Example, Rodney destroys Tyree on that play during his prime, no way Tyree catches that ball with Rodney's patented wallup. Instead, he's too slow, and went for the ball. Also dropped a sure INT on the last drive. Ty Law get's burned more times than my morning toast.

I think we'll see Cassel traded by the start of camp. Personally, I prefer Gutierrez anyway.

I'm with you....I think Gutz sticks and Cassel is either traded away ....or cut by the end of camp........

Why, because we have such great corners ? And youre basing your hopes on us signing Ty Law ? I love Ty Law and Rodney Harrison, but if those two guys are starting for us in the playoffs, we are in trouble. They are WAY past their prime. Example, Rodney destroys Tyree on that play during his prime, no way Tyree catches that ball with Rodney's patented wallup. Instead, he's too slow, and went for the ball. Also dropped a sure INT on the last drive. Ty Law get's burned more times than my morning toast.

hobbs is a solid, starting-caliber corner at the NFL level, as is Fernando Bryant. These guys might not be going to the pro bowl this year, but if our front 7 applies pressure like it looks like they're capable of this year, they will certainly be competent. Add in a couple burners like terrence wheatley and wilhite, as well as the other free agent corners and the secondary doesn't look to be in bad shape anymore.

I don't get it. We've spent years bemoaning the fact that the team is screwed if Brady gets hurt because there isn't good backup here. Now they draft a good backup, and everyone's pissed? Good QBs need to be drafted in early rounds. Brady as a 6th is an exception, not the rule.

"Now they draft a good backup"

Stinky....with all due respect.....how can you or anyone say that this guy is a GOOD BACKUP in the NFL when he has yet to play a down in the league? Better wait until you see what he can do before calling him a "good backup"....right now he is JAG.......

Matt Ryan is a JAG too by this logic.

I don't understand why people want a 5th CB or 8th LB or 9th OL instead of a #2 QB. It's the most important position on the team and yet nobody wants to improve the depth there?

I am thrilled with this pick.

Don't know much about him. But If they feel he is good value. Then I am ok with it.

The way I see it, Cassell was never selected to be an heir to anything. IMO, We selected him to hopefully turn a 6/7th round pcik( forget which one) into a higher pick. If we can trade him for early second day pick. That would be ok with me.

From the limited action he saw, I thought guitirez had much better pocket presence than Cassell and looks like a better overall QB.

I was going to say they picked O'connell to be the number 2 qb because Brady is holding out for more money. Then I thought people wouldnt get I was joking. Lol!:rocker:

This guy is a very athletic QB that made a lot of plays with his legs at the college level. I'm surprised the Pats finally taking an athletic QB when they have been going for classic pocket QBs previously.

O'Connell is a rarity in college sports, having served as team captain in each of his four seasons with the Aztecs. He is the first player in school history to lead the team in both passing and rushing in the same season (2007). He holds the school career record for yards rushing (1,312) and touchdowns rushing (19) by a quarterback.

Last edited:
WTF...A qb in the 3rd round?

If the Patriots are concerned about the backup qb role, why not sign a solid veteran behind Brady and use this pick on positions where they need help or trade it for value next year.

This is an odd choice.

I have to think that they feel he can make some contribution on special teams to use a late 3rd rounder on him.

Hold on...our current QB depth is Cassel in the last year of his contract + a 2007 UDFA. And choosing an athletic, four-year-captain of a QB who's 6'5" with one of the strongest arms in the draft at the end of the 3rd round...means we must be looking for special teams contributions??

I don't deny it's a surprise pick, but the 3 major need positions (CB, ILB, OLB) had been addressed with the previous 3 picks. This is what a luxury pick should be: tons of upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes