PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats select QB Kevin O'Connell with 94th overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhhh.....there is a law against taking another one ?? Especially with CB being a HUGE weakness ?....BTW...We picked a return man, who will be at best a nickle back in the NFL.The guys available in the third round at CB will probably (I'm willing to bet anything, or anyone) wind up way better than Terrence Wheatley. I would have taken all of the 3rd round CB's over Wheatley. Hated that choice also.

No, but it's conspicuously absent from your "analysis."

I'll take that bet, since it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

Rookie quarterbacks struggle more than any other position in the NFL.

Good thing he's not going to be relied on as as starter and can learn from the best QB in the NFL, then?

BTW...We picked a return man, who will be at best a nickle back in the NFL.The guys available in the third round at CB will probably (I'm willing to bet anything, or anyone) wind up way better than Terrence Wheatley.

He's a good return man, yes, but why are you saying he is EXCLUSIVELY that? On what is that based?

Oh, and by the way, I'll take that bet with you. I bet you $100 that Terrence Wheatley is not worse than "the guys available in the third round at CB." Deal?

Calm down kids. Let's see what O'Connell can do before we cast the first stone. I'm sure many of you would have slammed Tom Brady in the sixth round. There's a reason why Kraft pays our braintrust and not the armchair gurus on this board.

That hasn't helped Matt "pick six" Cassel.

This might surprise you, but we just drafted a totally different person.

The problem with most 'draftniks' on this board is that they don't know how to view players without a cookie cutter.

If Tom Brady was just like every other 6th round QB, where would we be?

Who's saying "I saw this coming?" I'm merely pointing out that a total lack of awareness of how football teams are responsibly constructed, long-term, and a complete cluelessness about a guy like O'Connell removes a degree of credibility, in my view, on the part of those who are currently throwing hissies about this pick.

Anyone who thinks this pick is somehow out of left field exposes himself as fairly ignorant when it comes to the draft class and the player, not to mention the needs, moving forward, of this organization.

Well, I would certainly agree with you about your first point. There is no doubt that a competent back-up is a necessity for this (or any) team.

On the other hand, I would say that there is a very good chance that Kevin O'Connell never sees a single meaningful game for the Patriots over the length of his rookie contract, and I think that is what irks people about it.

If he's as good as you say he is (and I'll readily concede you know far more about him than I), than he's a valuable insurance policy for this team, which is undeniably valuable given the quality of our current backups.

O'Connell is VERY different from Matt Cassell. They are in different leagues.

Good thing he's not going to be relied on as as starter and can learn from the best QB in the NFL, then?
Amen. Good teams build with good athletes and prospects not simply out of positional need, but also with an eye toward the future. A functional team builds with a much longer horizon in mind having the luxury to plan for the future. Those scrambling to fill an immediate need don't always accomplish the objective and are, therefore, always in that mode every draft. We are fortunate to have a team that considers that long horizon in assembling their roster.

Uhhh.....there is a law against taking another one ?? Especially with CB being a HUGE weakness ?....BTW...We picked a return man, who will be at best a nickle back in the NFL.The guys available in the third round at CB will probably (I'm willing to bet anything, or anyone) wind up way better than Terrence Wheatley. I would have taken all of the 3rd round CB's over Wheatley. Hated that choice also.

The next CB we take will have a tough time making the team given who we already have signed and drafted, particularly if we add Ty Law.

If the scouting reports on this guy are accurate this was a good long term thinking pick. He will not be a usable back up if Brady goes down this year, but if given a long term (Romo-like) training period behind a great QB and intelligent coaching staff, he he could be a great QB in the future. Not just a starter but a Brady/Manning quality player after 2 or 3 years on the bench.

And just like with Cassel there is only one way to find out if he is going to be the next great QB, draft him and give him a year or two experience.

Tom isn't getting any younger and although he will be playing next year, his ankle injury from last year if re-hit could mean he retires at an age a few years younger than Farve or Vinny T did.

O'Connell is VERY different from Matt Cassell. They are in different leagues.

I agree with this. Matt Cassell always was, and is always going to be a headset/clipboard QB. I don't think the Patriots drafted a career college back-up with anything else in mind. O'Connell definitely has the potential to step in and play for an extended stretch if Brady goes down, which Cassell undeniably does not.

I'm a San Diego State season ticket holder so I've seen O'Connell a lot. I was a bit surprised he went this high but consider at SDSU he didn't have a lot of good receivers and a lot of those rushing yards came because he was running for his life after no receivers could ever get open. He improved a lot his senior year and has a decent arm. It will be interesting to see how he does with a higher quality line and receivers to work with. He is easily as good as or better than Cassel. He smart and is a solid citizen...which might be difficult for him as the Patriots are famous for cheating but maybe he'll straighten you guys out. He'll be a good #2 QB.

GO AZTECS!!! GO COLTS!!!:p:p

OK, the sickness is starting to pass, reading some of the better informed posters is helping me at least feel un-ill (yeah, I made it up, so what) about the pick. But with that said, for all those comparing it to SF of years past, the Montana-Young comparisons, etc, doesn't the shorter rookie contract kind of kill that theory unless Brady suffers a major injury in the next 3-4 years? How long do you have a kid in the 3rd to groom him before he starts thinking about cashing in and being a starter instead of being Brady's perennial backup? Therein lies my biggest insecurity with the pick. I understand where his upside can be, Cassell was never, imo, a quality backup who could come in and even manage the team and be a caretaker, maybe this guy can, but in the 3rd round, isn't this still a weird one since he could/would likely be gone by the time Brady decides its time to hang 'em up? That would, it would seem, be a good reason to draft a guy with upside, but only if you see the end of the tunnel for Brady, which I truly hope we don't, and otherwise, isn't it a bit early to grab a backup at any position?

Well... and I'm (obviously) a huge fan of Brady like most here... but they are already doing "pitch count" like stuff on Brady in offseason/preseason/warm-up activities... he is still MORE than on his game.... but, and it sucks to start thinking about this, but smart teams have to....3 or 4 years from now,w here will he be?

The Pats have (under Belichick) REALLY made a point of letting top notch players go BEFORE the full decline comes.... CAN/will they do with Brady??? Not sure if it's even a possiblity (the man is a hero, etc.)... but in BB I trust... he is getting ready for the day that that choice starts to be thought about... how good is this kid... who knows... but he was high on more than just our draft board, great intangibles, could be nasty... we'll see if the preseason.

I see where you are coming from... but 4 years may be just right in this instance... if the Pats follow tradition and think about letting a QB in his mid thirties go when it's time to resign their understudy.

Just my 2 pennies.

I'm excited about the pick... I'm excited about the whole draft.

I'm a San Diego State season ticket holder so I've seen O'Connell a lot. I was a bit surprised he went this high but consider at SDSU he didn't have a lot of good receivers and a lot of those rushing yards came because he was running for his life after no receivers could ever get open. He improved a lot his senior year and has a decent arm. It will be interesting to see how he does with a higher quality line and receivers to work with. He is easily as good as or better than Cassel. He smart and is a solid citizen...which might be difficult for him as the Patriots are famous for cheating but maybe he'll straighten you guys out. He'll be a good #2 QB.

GO AZTECS!!! GO COLTS!!!:p:p

Couldn't resist, could you? Thanks for the info from someone who's seen him play a lot.

As for the other stuff, you know where you can shove it.

Uhhh.....there is a law against taking another one ?? Especially with CB being a HUGE weakness ?....BTW...We picked a return man, who will be at best a nickle back in the NFL.
I'm guessing that the Patriots think he'll be better than a Nickel Back. They've already signed Bryant, Sanders, and Webster. Hobbs is already on the team. There's talk they may sign Ty Law. Meriweather might move to corner.

Maybe... just maybe... they don't see anyone else out there that they like.

I don't see how ANYONE can get too high or too low at this point. I mean, don't we have to wait and see how all of this works out? To throw out phrases like "I hate this pick", and then to vehemently defend an opinion that can't be proven one way or the other yet... it just reeks of a bit of arrogance.

".....That would, it would seem, be a good reason to draft a guy with upside, but only if you see the end of the tunnel for Brady, which I truly hope we don't, and otherwise, isn't it a bit early to grab a backup at any position?

Zeke stop and think for a second. Why would BB and Scott Pioli take a QB in the 3rd round? What does that tell you about their analysis of this player and his potential? The beauty of the Patriots is their organization is so strong internally that they can make a pick like this. So many other GM's would be too nervous to look towards the future in making a pick like this.
Regarding the DB's keep one thing in mind. It's amazing how much better the defensive backfield will look when we have LB's who have the speed and athletic ability to rush the passer or drop back into coverage. We've added Hobson, Mayo and Crable to the LB corp. This group has already strengthened the D-backfield. Put Meriweather at corner with Wheatley and maybe Ty Law and add Tank Williams to safety. Not too shabby!!

I will take your wager good sir.. for one billion dollars! ;)

QB Kevin O'Connell, the second of the Patriots' third-round selections, held a conference call with New England reporters this afternoon.

He touched on his pre-draft private workout with Patriots offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels.

"I thought of all the coaches I met throughout this process and worked out for, he had by far the best kind of mentality when it came to teaching," O'Connell said. "You could tell from the first time we put on the tape or went out on the field, he really understood the best way to get things across and the best way to teach things and evaluate things."

O'Connell said it was a 30-45-minute workout in San Diego.

"He took some time to teach me some things about the offense that maybe some of the other coaches wouldn't have, and he broke down my tape in a certain way," he said. "It was really positive, but at the same time letting me know some of the really important things I'm going to need to work on to have a chance at the next level."

When he was picked by the Patriots, O'Connell said: "The first thing I thought is that I can learn from the best of the best [Tom Brady]. I've been watching him for a long time, kind of studying the way he plays the game and carries himself and leads his teammates."
Sounds like a smart kid. I hope he does well for us.

I too am not shocked by this pick. It did seem curious at first, but whether people realize it or not, we are very thin at QB. Behind Brady there was only career college backups!

As for this being possible trade bait, that has some merit too.

Consider this.
What if This kid comes in and pulls a Matt Schaub, or even something close to it. Teams who are in need of a QB (who always seem to pick early in rounds) decide to take a shot and trade a second rounder for him, because possibly the best QB in that class will be gone by time their pick rolls around, and they don't like any of the guys that will be available by their next pick.

This is not a huge leap, because of course Atlanta got alot more for Matt Schaub (which i'm sure they would give back in a heartbeat to have him back) including a swap of first rounders.

Imagaine that the pats use that 2nd and the 2nd they got from San Diego in their earlier swap today, to move up and grab Lauranitis or Maulauga (not sure if theyre spelled right...lol) Basically it works out that you swapped two
3rd rounders for a top ten talent!!!!!
Not saying it will happen, but it could happen... and its not very far fetched.
What will everybody be saying about this pick and the early round trade then?

Again, you can still label me as surprised and a little dissapointed, based on the other skill players still available to the Pats at the time. But, I can see the logic behind this, and will have fun watching it all unfold :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back