PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats select QB Kevin O'Connell with 94th overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called this yesterday, the Pats would go early on QB. The Patriots are using the Walsh-Montana 49ers as their franchise model, and Steve Young did a 5-yr apprenticeship before he came in and led the 49ers to one more SB win. I think Cassel was done after that pick he threw at Miami, and Gutierrez should stay as #3.

The trade issue is also a neat idea, but I think that's what the Patriots will do with either O'Connell or some other QB down the line.

Bob G

Saying it's a phenomenal pick is as dumb as going nuts over how bad it is.

I heard his name thrown out there alot the this last week. Very freakish athlete with alot of talent. For some reason Michael Bishop comes to mind with this pick. Hopefully he will come in,learn the system,read defenses etc and be ready when called upon. You never know how far a Qb's ceiling is until he does it under fire.

I don't think teams are foolish enough to give up first rounders for guys that show skills during pre season. I think they are way off base with that analogy. He would have to come in and play for an injured Tom Brady and do well for that to happen. And no Pat's fan wants that to happen. Especially me.

Or, perhaps, just throw for four TDs and 300 yards like Matt Schaub did that one time. . . .

The only memory I have of Cassel in the Pats historic 2007 season is week 7 against Miami - 4Q, Pats up 42-14. In comes Cassel..incomplete pass, then a pick 6. 42-21. Out he goes, in steps Brady and 2:19 later its 49-21. If you can't even manage to be a caretaker QB in a laugher game, then your days are numbered.

That's funny, my main memory of Cassel was his running the ball for a TD from the 15. . . . no way Brady makes that particular play. :)

I didn't say it was a bad pick.

I just said I bet part of it was to keep him away from the Jets?

What's wrong with keeping a decent QB away from our division rivals in addition to developing him as a backup to Brady?

i know nothing about this guy, but could he be a project to convert to another position? (Something in the vein of Kerry Rhodes for the jets?)

Guys, this pick makes perfect sense. Cassel is leaving next year and the only guy we have behind him is Gutierrez. You're not going to draft next year's backup next year. You've got to start coaching him up this year, while you still have a prepared backup in Cassel.

Trade bait? Yea sure, and Matt Cassel is going to be traded for a first round pick like all the dopes were saying last year and the year before. It was a wasted pick. If you're just throwing them away, you take someone with incredible upside like Manningham and see if he can produce. If Brady goes down, they're screwed. It doesn't matter if its O'Connell or Gutierrez or Cassel, or whoever. What a waste.

Well, the only position we needed lass than QB was WR.

I don't watch a lot of Spaztecs football, but even if he was the best QB in the draft I think the team tried to get too cute here.

"Might as well have taken a kicker with that pick."

"It was a wasted pick. If you're just throwing them away, you take someone with incredible upside like Manningham and see if he can produce. If Brady goes down, they're screwed. It doesn't matter if its O'Connell or Gutierrez or Cassel, or whoever. What a waste."

"I bet a small part of this was to keep him away from the Jets."

"This pick sucks ass. Im all for "In Bill We Trust", but WTFFFF!!!!!!!!"

HI, IDIOTS. Try following the draft and not just coming in here, posting BLIND. This is a phenomenal pick. Good LORD.

PatSox,as a passionate fan of the Pats and the Sox, but not anywhere as intimately knowledgable of the machinations of the Pats and Football in general (which is why I prefer to mostly read here and do not post) can you please explain why this is a good choice,to wit,why this QB is a special talent, and how he could help the pats?
Thanks, an honest question to learn, not a contrary or challenging statement on my part

Last edited:
There is a reason why the Giants are SB champs, and we are not, and possibly heading in the opposite direction, as the Giants may be building a Dynasty. Pats pick a QB that will not help this team this year or the next (I don't buy us getting a #2 pick or certainly not a #1 for this guy, people were saying the same thing with Cassel, who not only will get us ZERO draft choices, but will probably get cut). If we are going to go offense, why not pick the guy the Giants picked, Mario Manningham ? The Giants understand Day 2, that's why they are the champs (Look at last years draft, and the start of this years). We can't seem to buy a clue on day 2, since 2002 (David Givens). Terrible pick with good CB's STILL on the board ! And don't give me that "We got Moss on day 2" crap ! We could have made a killing in round 3, that would have helped our team THIS yeear !! We could have have a third round of Dan Connor, Justing King & Tyvon Branch, instead we have a 2nd round pick NEXT YEAR (Brady will be a year OLDER by then), Crable (who I like) and a QB who may never play an NFL game. You can not tell me Conner, King & Branch isn't better than what we wound up with. Case closed !! So far, if I had to rate this draft, I give it a C-.

Saying it's a phenomenal pick is as dumb as going nuts over how bad it is.

The pick is phenomenal. The player might not end up being phenomenal - there's a world of difference there - but given the potential of the prospect, his measurables, the scouts, the coaches's takes I've been reading (and what we've now been hearing from pundits and other coaches), it's a great, great pick.

People who think this pick, or this player, is somehow out of the blue - you're exposing yourselves as ignorant about this process and this draft class.

THE QB sleeper in this draft. Don't be so sure this kid is trade bait. Does anyone think Matt Cassell is a legit NFL starting QB?? I don't and never have. Take this talented and physically gifted kid, let him learn at the feet of the greatest QB in the game today who is 30 years old who has taken much more a physical beating in his career than let's say a Peyton Manning, and in 3 to 4 years when Brady starts breaking down the transition is smooth.

There is a reason why the Giants are SB champs, and we are not, and possibly heading in the opposite direction, as the Giants may be building a Dynasty. Pats pick a QB that will not help this team this year or the next (I don't buy us getting a #2 pick or certainly not a #1 for this guy, people were saying the same thing with Cassel, who not only will get us ZERO draft choices, but will probably get cut). If we are going to go offense, why not pick the guy the Giants picked, Mario Manningham ? The Giants understand Day 2, that's why they are the champs (Look at last years draft, and the start of this years). We can't seem to buy a clue on day 2, since 2002 (David Givens). Terrible pick with good CB's STILL on the board ! And don't give me that "We got Moss on day 2" crap ! We could have made a killing in round 3, that would have helped our team THIS yeear !! We could have have a third round of Dan Connor, Justing King & Tyvon Branch, instead we have a 2nd round pick NEXT YEAR (Brady will be a year OLDER by then), Crable (who I like) and a QB who may never play an NFL game. You can not tell me Conner, King & Branch isn't better than what we wound up with. Case closed !! So far, if I had to rate this draft, I give it a C-.

Someone needs an intervention

I thought they'd pick a QB in this draft.

Maybe a little higher than I would have drafted one, but if they like him, then I certainly think the Pats have earned the benefit of the doubt.

Wait.

So instead of picking a decent backup QB (which last season proved can be a season-saver), you would rather the Patriots pick the dumbest player in the draft?

And a WR to boot?

:rofl:

This one I'm not sure I like for you guys--I think you'd be better served going out and getting a Culpepper or Leftwhich (both still available), since neither a rookie nor Matt Cassell is going to do any good if Brady goes down. That's the biggest chink in the Pats armor, IMHO--if he suffers an early in the season injury this time comes pretty far down to earth. It would be good for you to have insurance in such a case in the form of someone who can come in and play right away at a high enough level to give you a chance. Those vets would do that, again IMHO, and could probably be had w/o breaking the bank.

This one I'm not sure I like for you guys--I think you'd be better served going out and getting a Culpepper or Leftwhich (both still available), since neither a rookie nor Matt Cassell is going to do any good if Brady goes down. That's the biggest chink in the Pats armor, IMHO--if he suffers an early in the season injury this time comes pretty far down to earth. It would be good for you to have insurance in such a case in the form of someone who can come in and play right away at a high enough level to give you a chance. Those vets would do that, again IMHO, and could probably be had w/o breaking the bank.

And that is why you are not an NFL GM

can you please explain why this is a good choice,to wit,why this QB is a special talent, and how he could help the pats?

Strong, accurate arm, fantastic vision, 4-year Captain, played well in an adverse conditions (terrible team, terrible OL, mediocre WR), several coaches had him with a 1st round grade.

Culpepper and Leftwich? Egads.

Which team, by the way, ISN'T screwed if their starting QB goes down? (Besides the late 90's 49ers and the 2001 Pats.)

I like this pick, hopefully he can pull a Matt Shaub!!! *knock on wood*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back