pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Out of Michigan.

43bcc94d1d980-15-2.jpg

super-crable-man.jpg

From NFLfans.com:

Draft Exchange Analysis:
Shawn Crable may be the most complete 3-4 OLB prospect to come out in years. Unlike most prospects who either convert from LB to DE or vise versa, Crable has extensive experience at both OLB and playing with his hand down. Crable is best at rushing the QB, but is also a force against the run. He has ideal size for the position, with room to grow. Crable must improve his coverage skills, as that is his biggest weakness. He has not been a big playmaker while dropping into coverage, having only 7 PBU's and 0 INT's. As a senior Crable lined up at DE most of the time registering 26.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks. Crable has the ability to start day one for a 3-4 team in need of a OLB. Crable may slip into the second round due to team needs and few teams running a 3-4.

This is a very good pick. He will provide great depth while learning from Vrabel and Thomas at OLB.

Last edited by a moderator:
TSN analysis (they don't like him much):

War Room analysis
Strengths: Flashes big-play ability as a pass rusher, showing the quickness and agility to beat offensive tackles with quick pass-rush moves. Flashes burst and strength to drive through double-teams to pressure the quarterback. Competes hard in pursuit, showing good chase speed and flashing an explosive closing burst to finish plays. Is smooth dropping into coverage, and closes to make tackles after the catch. Reads screen passes, getting outside to make the tackle. Is versatile, having played outside linebacker and defensive end.

Weaknesses: Is an end/linebacker 'tweener who struggled to produce at either position in college. Lacks explosiveness to threaten the corner as a speed rusher, and lacks pass-rush moves. Must read and react to plays more quickly. Does not break up many passes. Does not protect legs well from cut blocks. When playing off the ball, tends to play upright and thus struggle to change direction and move through traffic.

Bottom line: Crable is a frustrating prospect whose future is difficult to predict: He has played in a variety of alignments but failed to produce in all of them. Crable's best chance in the NFL is as a rush linebacker in a 3-4 scheme; he would be miscast in a 4-3 system, where he would be stuck between positions. He will struggle to be more than just a backup and contributor on special teams.

Overview
An emerging talent at the strong-side linebacker position, Crable reminds some scouts of Carl Banks, an All-American at that position for the Wolverines' arch-rivals, Michigan State, who went on to earn All-Pro honors during a stellar career with the New York Giants. The talented youngster has the same excellent read-and-react skills and playing strength, doing a great job of attacking the backfield coming off the edge that Banks showed throughout his college and professional career.

With Crable's tall and rangy frame, some talent evaluators feel he could bulk up for a possible switch to the defensive line, where his pass rushing and pass coverage skills could excel as a hybrid linebacker/defensive end. Evident by his 28.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage as a senior, the Wolverine has proven to be among the elite blitzers in the 2008 NFL Draft pool.

.....:rocker:

From NFL.com, I like this pick...what did NE get from SD for the first 3rd round pick?

Leading candidate to have tons of pranks pulled on him in training camp: Michigan rookie has to work with and learn from Vrabel (Ohio State) everyday.

Hahaha

Love this pick

I wouldn't like him on a 43 team either. There are relatively few 3-4 teams. This is a great match of player and system. He is ready to contribute.

The master plan is taking shape, now look for some interior lineman who need a year or two of seasoning...

He looks skinny for 243. Mr. Wojcik should be able to produce some magic with him and bulk him up a little. Solid pick.

Solid pick, looks like he can rush the passer so I'm happy.

He looks like Gilbert Arenas, lol

Last edited:
I really like this pick. I was thinking Cliff Avril, but I guess he is dropping like a rock. Even Mel Kiper doesn't have Avril as his top prospect left. When we picked Crable, Mel had Avril as the 10th best player left, wow, is he dropping or what ?

Crable is a beast, I always liked him, and noticed him a lot when I watched Michigan. Very Good choice !

He and Pierre Woods are best friends IIRC. High upside guy to (eventually) replace Vrabel on the strong side.

90 total tackles, 28.5 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, and 4 forced fumbles in one season is very good production folks. I had Avril rated higher, but I like the pick.

I really like this pick. I was thinking Cliff Avril, but I guess he is dropping like a rock. Even Mel Kiper doesn't have Avril as his top prospect left. When we picked Crable, Mel had Avril as the 10th best player left, wow, is he dropping or what ?

Crable is a beast, I always liked him, and noticed him a lot when I watched Michigan. Very Good choice !

No one else has picked him. Maybe teams just don't think that the value is there for him yet.

Boy,are the scouting reports all over the place on this guy.

Pretty much the definition of a high ceiling OLB pass rushing project.

Me likes. I'm no personnel expert, but in terms of what I wanted this is a beautiful draft. +1 for Diego's 2nd next year.

I am looking forward to rooting for their dissension and demise.:D

He and Pierre Woods are best friends IIRC. High upside guy to (eventually) replace Vrabel on the strong side.

Finally, some competiton at linebacker. Still a Woods fan, but it's time to earn your future.

avril just went, but I love the Crable pick. I'm liking how this is turning out... plus we got an extra 2nd next year...although it'll probably be a low round 2nd.

Is this not the draft we have all been waiting for? I don't question for a second the Braintrust's choices. I'm just happy that they are finally drafting for NEEDS at two of my favorite positions - LB and CB.

It's intriguing to think of where these guys will be in 3 years. For the first time in years, I am thinking of what early draft picks are going to be for us in 3 years, not what they are going to product for us next year. The irony is that this years draft class may actually yield a player that *earns* a starting job in his first year, at least on third down. One of these three guys are going to make an impact this year, I can feel it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye