PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats select KR/STer/FS/WR/CB/Track Matt Slater with 153rd overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except for turnovers, failed fourth down conversions, missed FGs, and ends of halves, every possession ends with the ball being kicked from one team to the other. (Did I miss any categories?)

If a guy can be a major contributor on all four punt/KO units, that can be 15+ plays/game.

Not when you consider that Willie Andrews has legal troubles and the Pats had Ray Ventrone out there for a bit.

Just my opinion, but I think you may be exaggerating the impact of Andrews's legal troubles on his job with the Pats. Slater may make it over Andrews, but I believe that would happen because of his play, not because Andrews had an elbow of weed.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/
What were those teams that you visited?
"I went to go visit Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Houston, the Giants, the Jets. I was also in Chicago and Jacksonville, so I had made the rounds. But like I said I hadn’t heard very much from the Patriots, but I’m very excited at this point and I feel very blessed and it’s very humbling."

You’re listed as a wide receiver, but you’ve played corner and safety. Do you have a preference where you would like to play?
"For me, I’m willing to do whatever coach Belichick and his staff and the organization want me to do. I’m just excited to have an opportunity to keep playing football. I don’t have a preference where I play; I just want to be able to help that football team out in whatever way possible. For me, it’s doing whatever it takes. Obviously, I look forward to contributing on special teams. That’s kind of where I made my mark at UCLA, so I know that will be probably my primary focus right away. Wherever they want to use me, I’m flexible, I don’t mind, I’m just ready to work hard for this organization and continue to the great reputation they have around the league for being one of the best teams in the league."

Sounds like a good kid. Hopefully he will be productive for us. If he makes the team of course. ;)

Last edited:
I did find it interesting that the Pats really wanted to move up and get Zack Bowman instead. Would of made a lot of people happy around here. He is a smidge over 6 feet.

Slater may pay immediate dividends as a returner. Which I thought was need worth addressing this draft...

Indeed. Despite what others might insist upon, there was no other, more pressing, need for this team. Imagine if Devin Hester had been back to return the kick after the Giants scored to make it 17-14? They would've had the choice to kick it out of bounds and give it to Brady on the 40 or put it in the hands of a guy who could turn the game around in seconds.

Re: Pats select WR/FS Matt Slater with 153rd overall pick

well they need a WR

Yeah...I was scratching my head over this one.......he must be one hell of a ST'er........maybe they are looking to replace Izzo after this year.....or maybe he is going to take over the endzone slap out plays that Washington made last year ;) GO PATS!

Re: Pats select WR/FS/CB Matt Slater with 153rd overall pick

Is it possible this moves paves the way for Washington to be used alot more as a receiver? I doubt they would put Jackson out there full time right away. So maybe this also has something to do with it

Let me ask you this though....How can you NOT put Chad Jackson out there FULL time right away???????? He has been riding the pine because of injuries since he got here! He has yet to demonstrate the kick a## potential he showed in college and at the combines....the guy was a monster there........Now, according to all reports the kid is ready to go and was at the mini camp recently........NOW is the TIME for Chad to show his stuff.......This is his year......It is NOW OR NEVER as far as I can see it......GO CHAD!!!!!

I did find it interesting that the Pats really wanted to move up and get Zack Bowman instead. Would of made a lot of people happy around here. He is a smidge over 6 feet.

It DOES sound a bit as if they were committed to the path of trading up, then just went through with the trade and took Slater anyway.

I'm not crying over the hypothetical "waste" of a 7th rounder, however.

Learn a little bit about football and the fact that Willie Andrews is probably not long for this team.

This isn't a bad pick.
He would have lasted until 7.
DW Toys

Reminds me of Jerry Azumah. Coming out of college without a real position. Going to have to learn to play a serviceable DB, but insane return skills will buy him time to develop.

If this guy is genuinely a stud gunner AND a stud returner as reported, that's mighty good stuff.

Seems to me that the most interesting angle on this pick is vis a vis Wheatley, who most of us penciled in at KR.

I'm thinking this just might be our version of Darren Sproles somewhere down the line. Drafted for hitting ability and blazing speed to be used on the special teams... could see some action on the offense in certain packages.

If this guy is genuinely a stud gunner AND a stud returner as reported, that's mighty good stuff.

Seems to me that the most interesting angle on this pick is vis a vis Wheatley, who most of us penciled in at KR.

I haven't. Wheatley was a good returner in college, but wasn't particularly outstanding in that area of the game. Slater actually had much better numbers, and Wheatley's probably better off getting most of his time at CB considering his injury history.

Slater: Averaged 29.00 yards per kick return on 34 returns, and scored 3 TD's in 2007. He was an all Pac-10 first team (as voted by coaches) Kick returner.

Wheatley: Averaged 24.84 yards per kick return on 37 returns with zero TD's.

*NFLDraftScout has Slater's KR avg at 30.9, but that was through 30 returns, and he actually returned 34 kicks on the season.

Everyone's comparing him to Hester. Not saying he's that good. But, that Cribbs kid helped Cleveland out quite a bit last year. Hoping he's almost as good as him. Hester is probably the best punt/kick returner in the HISTORY of the NFL. I wouldn't compare anyone to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back