PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats select DE Jeremy Mincey at #191

Status
Not open for further replies.
jczxohn1 said:
Sounds like he has more potential as an ILB than an OLB.

He would have ideal size for ILB run stuffer.

Damn it, quit drafting defense :)

I remember from Reis' blog that Mincey was asked how he'd feel about being Chad Jackson's teammate in New England when we interviewed him at Florida :D

drew4008 said:

I'll bet you my house that Willie hasn't ran that fast in 10 years... and he was pretty good, no?

Willie run... :eek: :nono: Willie was doing XTREME-LUMBERING. :bricks:

Willie did run when we drafted him...after all those groin problems it became a fast version of lumbering...his initial step was cat quick though and the reason for his success.

Love Willie posts ... he'll always be in my Patriots All-time top 5.

Last edited:
Reading the NFL.com bio of Mincey, you have to question why he decided to come out early. They say he's a little raw, but had the talent to have a monster season next year at Florida and was likely to be a top draft pick.

Handel said:

Only 2 yrs in college program, inconsistent reports about POA indicate he should be able to ward off blocks consistently with coaching. One-gapper, better ILB trait (even TJ blitzed occassionally), ability to flash inside to gaps, redirect inside. Was being judged as a DE, many limitations mentioned arent so critical as an ILB. Sounds like a raw kid who can improve in our system.

Handel said:
Yeah, he could develop into the next TJ. I'm sure that is where he will be tried first. Perfect size, strength and motor for the pos. in our system. Will need time to grow into it though.

jczxohn1 said:
Only 2 yrs in college program, inconsistent reports about POA indicate he should be able to ward off blocks consistently with coaching. One-gapper, better ILB trait (even TJ blitzed occassionally), ability to flash inside to gaps, redirect inside. Was being judged as a DE, many limitations mentioned arent so critical as an ILB. Sounds like a raw kid who can improve in our system.
I agree. The biggest question IMO about his ability to convert to ILB would be coverage. Can he turn his heaps and cover? Can he handle the position mentally? It is a lot harder than playing OLB

Good article on Mincey

here's my favorite part

Mincey has discovered that Belichick has a great sense of humor and he's also discovered a coach that really cares about his players on a very personal level. Mincey says that is the kind of coach he thrives under.
"He's one funny dude," said Mincey, just back from what he called a "great trip" to Boston. "You watch him on TV and you'll never know what a real character he is. He can make you laugh a lot but he's got a serious side about him that has nothing at all to do with football, too. We probably laughed more and talked more about life than we did about football when I was up there. He's a lot like Urban Meyer, just a good dude that you like as a person and you want to play football for."

http://patriots.scout.com/2/520206.html

Hoodie said:
here's my favorite part

Mincey has discovered that Belichick has a great sense of humor and he's also discovered a coach that really cares about his players on a very personal level. Mincey says that is the kind of coach he thrives under.
"He's one funny dude," said Mincey, just back from what he called a "great trip" to Boston. "You watch him on TV and you'll never know what a real character he is. He can make you laugh a lot but he's got a serious side about him that has nothing at all to do with football, too. We probably laughed more and talked more about life than we did about football when I was up there. He's a lot like Urban Meyer, just a good dude that you like as a person and you want to play football for."

http://patriots.scout.com/2/520206.html

Wow, nice find. I know BB and Meyer spent some time last off season working together, but it sounds like they have a pretty solid relationship.

Last edited:
Seymour93 said:
Reading the NFL.com bio of Mincey, you have to question why he decided to come out early. They say he's a little raw, but had the talent to have a monster season next year at Florida and was likely to be a top draft pick.

Just like Marquise Hill.

OntarioPatsFan said:
Wow, nice find. I know BB and Meyer spent some time last off season working together, but it sounds like they have a pretty solid relationship.

Recall BB's recent "vacation" to Florida. (and some posters were complaining that he needed to get back to work!) Jackson and Mincey, baby!

I just want to keep in mind that Bioli still haven't proved that they can draft reilaible LB for their system. Look at every core LB during thr SB's. Bruschi, Vrabel, Johnson, Colvin, McGuinest, and Phifer. None of these guys were drafted by Bioli. They were all FA aquisitions or inhereted from the Parcells era. I'm not saying BB can't do it but they just haven't done it yet.

shakadave said:
Just like Marquise Hill.

Yeah and Hill hasn't done much since he's been on the team. Mincey is more likely to see some action his rookie or sophomore seasons since we don't have much depth in the LB corps unlike the situation with the DL.

Last edited:
zippo59 said:
I just want to keep in mind that Bioli still haven't proved that they can draft reilaible LB for their system. Look at every core LB during thr SB's. Bruschi, Vrabel, Johnson, Colvin, McGuinest, and Phifer. None of these guys were drafted by Bioli. They were all FA aquisitions or inhereted from the Parcells era. I'm not saying BB can't do it but they just haven't done it yet.

A list of those they have drafted--

2001: Hakim Akbar, T.J. Turner; 2003: TBC; 2005: Ryan Claridge

It's true. The LBs are either pre-Bioli or free agents. Some of these guys were fairly unsung in their day...looking through the drafts of the past fifteen years, I was struck by how many linebackers take several years before they really blossom. Plenty of exceptions on other teams, I know, but for the LBs to fit into the Belichick system, I suspect there is a certain element of chance and maturity needed before they know what they're getting.

In some ways, this draft has turned out like the 2002 draft, in terms of its offensive-heft. We can only hope it turns out as deep: Graham, Branch, and Givens turned out okay!

Edit: none of their LBs were picked above the fifth round...so it's not really a surprise they have been quiet, I guess.

Last edited:
Ceresco said:
Good Pick, should develop into a great player after a few years.

yay to me on my 100th post

Congrats on the 100th post. May I give you some advice, though? Stop now. I'm nearing my 2,000th post and the rest of my life has become subservient to patsfans. I spend my offline time (aka work) thinking of smartarse replies to posts (but then I'm a smug limey liberal with a strange sense of humour and have a reputation to uphold). You know it's bad when you go to the pub, have some beers, come back and log on-e.g. like tonight. Like I said, mate, stop now. :D

BTW, Mincey has OLB project written all over him.

gomezcat said:
You know it's bad when you go to the pub, have some beers, come back and log on-e.g. like tonight.

Nah, it's only bad when you post at Patsfans.com instead of going to the pub ... :D

Mike the Brit said:
Nah, it's only bad when you post at Patsfans.com instead of going to the pub ... :D

LOL, you bugger. I made it out tonight for once, as Miss Gomezcat dragged me out. Shame about that early closing on a Sunday, especially before a Bank Holiday (it's a public holiday tomorrow in the UK for the uninitiated). That needs to be changed, pronto.

jczxohn1 said:
Sounds like he has more potential as an ILB than an OLB.

A very intriging option. He is almost exactly the same size as TJ. His time is as good or better than most of the ILB candidates, as is his size. He might well be the ILB we thoudht they might grab amongst Parham Schlegel and Hoyte. Only Schelgel got drafted after his fantastic Pro day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back