Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Finally a defensive player!

he will be moved to OLB

Mincey is a good pick.... I want Oliver Hoyte at 205 or 206

you think? hes a bit slow no?

Good Pick, should develop into a great player after a few years.

yay to me on my 100th post

Not surprising.

I guess both Jackson and Mincey do get drafted together as was speculated. Neat!

4.75, weighs 260. Sounds like a project to become a OLB, but could be a replacement for Willie eventually. If not, well, it was a 6th round pick. No harm, no foul.

He's definately not fast.....

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is a tough, fiery competitor who never lets up. Is one of the better run-stopping ends -- is quick off the snap and consistently gets lower than the offensive linemen. Is at his best in a one-gap plan, shooting gaps and using quickness and lower-body strength to penetrate and make plays in the backfield. Is a sure open-field tackler.

Weaknesses: Lacks experience; only played two seasons at Florida. Doesn't use hands well as a pass rusher. Gives up chest to opponents too easily, and doesn't attack the edges against offensive tackles. Must develop more pass-rush skills; is neither powerful enough to run over most blockers nor fast enough to blow by them.

Bottom line: Mincey gets all over the field against the run, whether it's with penetration or containing the perimeter. However, he offers little as a pass rusher. With his open-field skills and special teams potential, he could go late in the fourth round.

Dan Pompei analysis
Is intense but isn't a great athlete. Has some straight-line speed. Is good in pursuit. Gets good leverage. Can shoot gaps. Could add bulk. Run defense is not his strong suit. Doesn't bend well.
No. 18 on Pompei's DE rankings

His Pro Football weekly review was not very good. What reviews where you looking at?

I recognized his name because I looked at all the tweeners at DE on NFL countdown.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/jeremymincey.html

For 259 lbs , he's got decent speed, he runs a 4.78. He's a good pick.

Strengths:
Shows good quickness...A tough, hard-nosed player...Is relentless and has a motor that never stops...Very active and is always around the action...Does a solid job versus the run...Makes a lot of plays behind the line...Really penetrates.

Weaknesses:
Is not as tall as you'd like...Struggles to shed blockers...Doesn't play with great leverage...Lacks great instincts...Is not really a sack artist...Raw and needs work on developing his technique...Only played two years at the major college level

Pompei and TSN scouts seem to disagree on his run stuffing ability. TSN says he gets all over the field against the run but offers little as a pass rusher, and Pompei says run defense isn't his strong suit. Uhh...

Feep_FLA said:
He's definately not fast.....

I'll bet you my house that Willie hasn't ran that fast in 10 years... and he was pretty good, no?

It looks like everyone says that he is a tough, hard-nosed competitor who is good against the run (and thus, must be a good tackler). He's not a sack artist. This is almost the exact opposite of TBC, who is a good sack artist, but needed to work on other things coming out of the draft.

Last edited:
SN has him ranked as the 'Best Run Stopper' out of the DEs.

Last edited:
Strengths: Does an adequate job of anticipating the snap, possesses a quick first step and flashes the ability to shoot gaps. Plays with a non-stop motor and is relentless in pursuit. Possesses adequate bulk and is big enough to improve ability to defend the run. Possesses adequate lateral mobility and flashes the ability to redirect inside after starting inside. Gets hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback, has adequate leaping ability and can tip passes at the line of scrimmage.

Weaknesses: Doesn't play with great leverage, lacks ideal lower body strength and gets driven off the ball at times. Doesn't have the upper body strength to consistently maintain separation from blockers and takes too long to shed blocks once reached. Lacks ideal lower body strength and plays with a narrow base. Doesn't use hands well and he needs to do a better job of protecting legs when fighting off cut blocks. Lacks ideal instincts, gets caught out of position at times and fails to locate the ball carrier at other times. Doesn't have elite top-end speed and will likely have some problems turning the corner. Doesn't show a wide variety of pass rush moves and isn't a powerful bull rusher. Fails to break down in the open field and will miss some tackles trying to deliver the big hit rather than wrapping up.

Overall: Mincey graduated from high school in 2002 and he attended Butler Community College during the 2003 season. He enrolled at Florida in the spring of 2004 and he started all 12 games that year. Mincey played in 12 games during the 2005 season, recording four tackles-for-loss and 3.5 sacks. Mincey isn't fundamentally sound and his lack of ideal speed limits his NFL potential. He likely will never develop into a fulltime starter, but he has enough size and athletic ability to develop into an effective "wave" contributor. He also plays with a great motor and is the type of player that projects as a special teams' contributor in the pros. Mincey should come off the board early on the second day of the 2006 draft.

It would be beyond his capabilities to be more than a special teamer and situational player for a few years anyway. I think that TBC will be used more on the field and this kid will see plenty of ST reps.

If I recall correctly, Tedy Bruschi played mostly special teams under Parcells, way back then. It takes time for LBs to develop in our system.

Sounds like he has more potential as an ILB than an OLB.

Combine time is not an absolute...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back