PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats-Saints post-mortem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ok, it was just one game, and honestly, it was a lot easier to take than the Colts loss. That said, some honest evaluation is in order. I'll keep this very simple.

(1) The offense is not the problem. The run game was fine, putting up 122 yds and averaging 4.4 ypc. Plus, the two TD they got were on the ground. And, really, only a total fool would suggest that the Pats' game is the problem. No, Brady didn't have his best game last night, but still, the passing game is this team's biggest strength.

(2) Defense *is* the problem. Some of that is probably an issue of inexperience. For all the mediots talking about how *old* this team's defense was at the start of the year, I, and several others here, pointed out how *young* they would be at so many key spots. I think the confusion out there was clear last night as there were *so* many blown assignments and missed tackles. Very ugly.

But the biggest problem is the lack of a disruptive pass rush. Sure, they'll get a sack here and there, but the pass rush doesn't really cause other teams problems. And that's very troubling.

Here's the thing. Years ago the Pats could play a style of D where they put 7-8 guys back in coverage and beat up the receivers. Now, with the rules the way they are, they're not able to do that. Good quarterbacks with these "no touch the WR" rules, mean that the Pats are getting shredded if they don't get pressure.

The only way, with these rules, they're going to survive these kinds of passing attacks is with constant, relentless, pressure. Not necessarily sacks, but relentless, in-your-face pressure. And right now, they don't have a single guy that can do that. That *has* to be the single biggest priority in the offseason - somehow coming up with not one, but *two* big-time pass rushers. I don't know how they're going to do it, but it appears to be a necessity. The Colts shut down the Pats in the 2nd half not because their secondary was great, but because they generated lots of pressure. The Giants shut down the Pats in the SB not because their secondary was great, but because they generated lots of pressure. Same thing last night. McKenzie was good, but really, it was about pressure.

Until they acquire (trade, free agency, draft, whatever) two guys that can generate that kind of pressure, their defense will not be up to the standard that is necessary to win.

That's the harsh reality that the past few weeks have brought to light. This is still a pretty good team that, at times, can be excellent. But they're going to have major problems stopping Indy, NO, Min, or possibly even Cincy and SD if they cannot fix their pass rush problems.

Ok, it was just one game, and honestly, it was a lot easier to take than the Colts loss. That said, some honest evaluation is in order. I'll keep this very simple.

(1) The offense is not the problem. The run game was fine, putting up 122 yds and averaging 4.4 ypc. Plus, the two TD they got were on the ground. And, really, only a total fool would suggest that the Pats' game is the problem. No, Brady didn't have his best game last night, but still, the passing game is this team's biggest strength.

(2) Defense *is* the problem. Some of that is probably an issue of inexperience. For all the mediots talking about how *old* this team's defense was at the start of the year, I, and several others here, pointed out how *young* they would be at so many key spots. I think the confusion out there was clear last night as there were *so* many blown assignments and missed tackles. Very ugly.

But the biggest problem is the lack of a disruptive pass rush. Sure, they'll get a sack here and there, but the pass rush doesn't really cause other teams problems. And that's very troubling.

Here's the thing. Years ago the Pats could play a style of D where they put 7-8 guys back in coverage and beat up the receivers. Now, with the rules the way they are, they're not able to do that. Good quarterbacks with these "no touch the WR" rules, mean that the Pats are getting shredded if they don't get pressure.

The only way, with these rules, they're going to survive these kinds of passing attacks is with constant, relentless, pressure. Not necessarily sacks, but relentless, in-your-face pressure. And right now, they don't have a single guy that can do that. That *has* to be the single biggest priority in the offseason - somehow coming up with not one, but *two* big-time pass rushers. I don't know how they're going to do it, but it appears to be a necessity. The Colts shut down the Pats in the 2nd half not because their secondary was great, but because they generated lots of pressure. The Giants shut down the Pats in the SB not because their secondary was great, but because they generated lots of pressure. Same thing last night. McKenzie was good, but really, it was about pressure.

Until they acquire (trade, free agency, draft, whatever) two guys that can generate that kind of pressure, their defense will not be up to the standard that is necessary to win.

That's the harsh reality that the past few weeks have brought to light. This is still a pretty good team that, at times, can be excellent. But they're going to have major problems stopping Indy, NO, Min, or possibly even Cincy and SD if they cannot fix their pass rush problems.

Sorry, can't entirely agree with you.

I agree about the defense part. I completely agree, especially about the lack of pressure. But the offense was also a big problem. You can't put up 17 points against the Saints and expect to win. Offensive problems included:

1. The OL. Protection was poor. The Saints got terrific pressure with a 3 man rush. Brady didn't have a lot of time.

2. The play calling. Boring, predictable. Too much shotgun. Too much Brady focusing on Moss and Welker. Not patient enough or creative enough. Not enough of the running attack.

3. Tom Brady. Trying to do too much and forcing the ball. Out of sync all night.

We've scored under 20 points in 3 out of 11 games this season, all losses. Can't afford to do that.

Sorry, can't entirely agree with you.

I agree about the defense part. I completely agree, especially about the lack of pressure. But the offense was also a big problem. You can't put up 17 points against the Saints and expect to win. Offensive problems included:

1. The OL. Protection was poor. The Saints got terrific pressure with a 3 man rush. Brady didn't have a lot of time.

2. The play calling. Boring, predictable. Too much shotgun. Too much Brady focusing on Moss and Welker. Not patient enough or creative enough. Not enough of the running attack.

3. Tom Brady. Trying to do too much and forcing the ball. Out of sync all night.

We've scored under 20 points in 3 out of 11 games this season, all losses. Can't afford to do that.

No denying the offense didn't have a good game last night. But just 2+ weeks ago, they put up 34 on the #1 scoring D in the league (Indy), and have the 3rd highest scoring team in the league. Offense isn't the problem.

1) We do not have a 3rd WR. what the saints did was double moss and wes and rolled an extra safety.5 guys were covering 2 guys. We just do not have a 3wr who can create havoc.

2)Brady did not have anyone to throw because their was no one open due to flooding of zones.

3)OL was banged up and it showed. light quietly had a good game.

4)we go shot gun and throw but we only have 2 WR who catch and rest 2 are decoys. emmm don`t think the defence did not know that.they put 5 on moss and wes and left the other 2 guys in single coverage.

5)trading away your leading sack leader for 2 marginal pass rusher is not a way to improve your defence.
sey-8 sacks from the de position and even though we got a 1st we gave up a 3rd and 5th for burgess .not sure if seymour + 5th rd + 3rd rd = burgess + 1st rd.

Offensive line is as much a problem as anything, so must disagree that the offense isn't a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back